Topps releases details on Gold Rush wrapper redemption

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Ok, all you cardboard 49ers … the 2012 Topps Gold Rush rules have been declared.

Eight days before the arrival of its flagship baseball card set for 2012, Topps has unveiled the details of its Gold Rush wrapper redemption program, and it’s one that won’t last long.

For every 50 hobby wrappers — or 14 HTA jumbo wrappers — that a collector sends in to the company, they will receive a five-card pack of Gold Rush cards.

The 50-card set will include Willie Mays, Adrian Gonzalez, Sandy Koufax, Nelson Cruz, Albert Pujols, Albert Belle and Dennis Eckersley among others — and there will be autographs randomly included — but here’s the catch.

All wrappers must be postmarked by Feb. 29, 2012 — just 28 days after the product’s arrival. All others will be turned away goldless.

Wrappers should be sent to:

Gold Rush
PO Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642

According to the company, collectors can send their wrappers all in one package. Packs will be fulfilled until supplies are exhausted.

Bobby

How about getting my redemptions from 2011 Bowman Platinum Baseball first? 5 months and still waiting! I will never buy anything with redemptions in it. How long will it take to get these Gold Rush cards? You might get a response from Topps, saying “the player has not signed anything yet. Please wait.

There needs to be a new Hobby law. “NO REDEMPTIONS”

Did I mention, I don’t like redemptions.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
cincy Scott

The wild wild West will there be a new sheriff in town?

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
Albert Pujols

Let me speak for us major leaguers… Redemptions autographs kill us!!! NO MORE REDEMPTIONS!!!

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
steve-o

sorry to break the news to you Bobby (and ALL collectors)……but Topps could give a s*** what we all like !!! They have not been listening since Fred Flinstone roamed the earth and probably wont be changing their company philosophy anytime soon

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
Michael Poyma

So I’m expecting two HTA boxes, totaling 20 packs, and my math skills tell me that I’ll use 14 to get the 5-pack, leaving me with……hey! That means I’ll have to somehow buy another 8 jumbo packs. Great.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

Interesting quantity of packs required, as it requires one to buy more than 1 box, but also leaves you extra wrappers if you buy 2 boxes. I guess they are hoping that this will mean people will buy hobby packs and not just boxes. I wonder how many empty wrappers will end up on eBay.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink
John P

Topps is still using the wagon and carriage method of getting product from them.

1. Spend your cash on their product

2. Collect 50 wrappers

3. Pay postage

4. Go to PO

5. Question if they recieved them

6. Call or write 2 months later asking where your cards are

7. Never receive anything

8. Write back

9. Customer service asks if you sent them registered mail

10. Say no because it costs 22 bucks from Canada

11. Receive nothing.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Bobby: Don’t hate the card company … hate the player.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Steve-o: Why is it you’re so negative on here compared to your polite emails?

Again, redemptions are often because players fail to fulfill their contracts …

Posted January 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
Dan C.

Ok, pointless redemption argument aside….Topps is an evil genius with this one. I had planned on only buying one HTA box. Now I’ll probably end up buying another 4 packs for the sole purpose of getting this one pack of gold cards which will probably yield 5 bucks worth of cards. But really doesn’t series one always sell extremely well? Does Topps really need to require an odd number of wrappers to sell more product faster?

Posted January 26, 2012 at 5:53 am | Permalink
Steve

Hey, I’m just starting back into this hobby…. does anyone know if wrappers from retail blasters are eligible for the wrapper redemptions? Thanks!

Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Unfortunately they are not.

Posted February 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink
Shawn

Atleast with topps when you get a redemption it doesnt count towards the total hits of the box. For instance I got a redemption in tribute but it was a bonus hit, so heres the kicker, it didnt bother me nearly as much when i got that wonderful email 16 weeks later notifying me the player didnt sign yet. As for panini the redemption counts as the hit in the box. Topps is the lesser of two evils.

Posted February 4, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink
Stud Muffin

Can you combine jumbos with regular hobby packs to a count of 50?

Posted February 8, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink
chrisolds

The requirements are listed above.

Posted February 8, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink
Phil

I bought 4 hobby boxes plus one jumbo, so therefore I would only get two packs…since I can send all the wrappers in one setting, I’m gonna send in all my wrappers and hope that Topps will take pity on me and send me the third pack anyway…can’t hurt.

Posted February 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink
Phil

Maybe they will take pity on me since my account got hacked last year and I lost all my cards in their silver promotion…haha.

Posted February 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink
JIM BJORKE

STILL WAITING, GAVE UP A LONG TIME AGO ACTUALLY, FOR MY 2 REDEMPTIONS FROM 2010 TOPPS CHROME HOBBY BASEBALL WRAPPERS!! THAT’S LIKE A YEAR AND A HALF AGO…..

Posted February 8, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
Frank

Elvis has left the building!

Posted February 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink
Cory Sedlock

I had no trouble with my Topps Chrome pack redemption last. I sent them in on the last day they could be postmarked and received my packs rather promptly. I was very happy because I didn’t know there was a redemption until the owner of my local card shop told me. I was just grateful for the added value.

Posted February 11, 2012 at 7:21 am | Permalink
Shane Dixon

Good news guys! I’m not sure if a fluke or what but I sent my wrappers in on Saturday Feb 9 and received my pack today Feb 17 less than a week, I too have had many problems with redemptions in the past and also hate them! Maybe just maybe this is a turning point but I think more of a miracle or Topps messed up lol but anyway good luck to everyone else!

Posted February 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Permalink
David Coleman

I have about 10000++ topps cards and 50 wrappers that are no good…..
such a short time

Posted March 8, 2012 at 11:49 pm | Permalink
Don Koch

As long as the product is still on the shelves for sale and topps
has made there profit I think the time period should be extended
Thanks
Don!

Posted March 14, 2012 at 3:29 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] so you have to get them first, but according to this Beckett article, you won’t have long to mail them in. They have received word from Topps that all Gold Rush [...]

2. [...] Postmarked by Feb 29. However, first come first serve so probably a better idea to send ASAP. Beckett News Topps releases details on Gold Rush wrapper redemption [...]