Your Turn (BSCM Art Issue): Who are your favorite art sets or artists?

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

This year’s installment of The Art Issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly is nearly upon us and we want to know who you like.

You know, as in artists.

Odds are you have a favorite player — that’s easy — but do any past art-focused card sets stand out to you? Do you have a favorite sketch card artist? How about any paintings or other pieces in the sports world?

Tell us all about them in the comments below. We’ll run a selection of the best answers in the upcoming issue.

We’ll have several interesting stories about artists with sports ties included in the issue — and a few surprises in store similar to last year’s cover art by the famed Dick Perez. (Find the back issue here.) But first things first … we want to know who you like.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

David Johnson

My favorite is Luis Diaz. His sketch cards from Topps baseball and Topps Hardwood basketball have a very unique and amazing style with seemingly random splashes of color that make them visually pop.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

HANDS DOWN, NO QUESTION!!! The BEST baseball artist on the planet, possibly EVER, is Graig Kreindler!!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

A big fan of Christopher Paluso, and whoever it was that did all of Upper Deck’s art in 89-93ish…

Also, Peter Max!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
Tom Snyder

With no doubt in my mind whatsoever Kevin John Jobczynski of Erie, Pa.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
Mike Sopp

Lee Roy Neiman is the classic choice, but if you are looking for a current artist Kevin-John Jobczynski is my favorite! I’ve got his art all over my house and I love it!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
Betty Jobinski

My favorite sports artist is Kevin-John, in everyone of his works there is no doubt who his subject is. The detail and emotion that he captures is not attained by anyone else.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
Stephanie

Without a doubt, Kevin-John Jobczynski is the most talented sports artist out there!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
Eric Brookhouser

My favorite sketch artist would be Kevin-John Jobczynski. Can’t wait for the Ripken cover issue to come out!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
Edward settles

Most of my inspiration comes from the big guy. Erie’s own Kevin-john Jobczynski!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Permalink
Rob Blarr

A big shout out to Kevin-John Jobczynski.. Love the sketch cards!!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink
Mary Ann Wasielewski

Kevin John Jabinski the greatest. I knew way back in the 90’s when I saw his art he would be great one day and he is !!!! Keep at it KJ .

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink
Jenn

THE best sports artist is Kevin-John Jobczynski. This guy is amazing! His work, of course, speaks for itself but I have to give him props!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink
Jim vrabel

What is a great artist? Well I can tell you that KEVIN-JOHN JOBCZYNSKI is by far one of the BEST.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink
Paul M Bayhurst

Kevin-John Jobcznyski is by far the best out there now.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Permalink
Nicole Brugger

Kevin-John Jobczynski. His work is unparalleled. The pain-staking care and detail that goes into every piece of work is undeniable and unlike any other. His talent is remarkable in that he is able to convey the likeness of his subject in such a way that he conveys personality and action…it’s not just a portrait.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink
Tiffany

Kevin-John Jobczynski is the best

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Nobody draws like Kevin-John Jobczynski. He is the best!!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

This is the gal to beat them all Margie Lawrenee my cuz as she doesn’t “copy” photos but makes actua art

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

my cuz Margie Lawrene as she doesn’t copy photos she actually makes art

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

my cuz Margie Lawrence as she doesn’t copy photos she actually makes art

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
G. Crayne

Kevin-John Jobczynski is my favorite.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
Ron Card-Collector Churchwell

Kevin John…..”nuff said

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
kris

Kevin-John Jobczynski!! No doubt the best ever!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink
Bonnie Matthews

Absolutely hands down Kevin-John Jobczynski! I’ve known KJ since he was a budding artist in high school YEARS AGO (sorry KJ!) when he was drawing Erie area landmarks. Today I follow especially his Pittsburgh sports art since I am now a Pittsburgher, but appreciate all his incredible artwork of sports celebrities!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Permalink
David Boudreau

By far it is Kevin-John Jobczynski; details, inspiration, and pride in every line that he makes. Art is a gift not a talent, and he is a true artist.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink
Paula Bell

Kevin-John Jobczynski….is my only choice…I am so taken by his work, that I have two of his Steeler’s portraits adorning my walls. I am NOT a Steeler fan, I bought them for a present to my hubby. I am proud of my prints and of the man that brought them to life. Thank you KJ <3

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink
joe

Kevin john is the by far

Posted January 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
Selina Uglow

Kevin-John Jobczynski, by far the best!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
Lisa

Kevin-John Jobcznyski is the most talented sports artist out there!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink
Michele

Kevin John Jobczynski is the best!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink
Stacey Wodecki

Kevin-John Jobczynski is my favorite artist. His artwork encapsulates the heartbeat and emotion of today’s athletes, infusing into each illustration an identity that grabs your soul and speaks to your heart. Each one is truly unforgettable. His art has taught me to see with my mind’s eye, developing a true appreciation for the art!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Kevin John from Beckett and Leaf products is the best around. The most realistic looking artwork of all sports artists. Very versatile. His football and baseball work is the best

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink
Todd Warden

Art cards are something that I love. 1983’s Hall of Fame Heroes, Diamond Kings throughout the years, Topps Gallery, and UD Masterpieces are just a few of the series that I look back on with many pleasant memories, but I would say that my favorites have always been the early Baseball Heroes (and Heroes of Baseball) cards featuring the art of Vernon Wells.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
Nick Sleptzoff

An artist for many, many years who has exceptional talent and regional fame in NW Pennsylvania Kevin-John Jobczynski.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink
Jeff Jobczynski

No contest the best in the world Kevin-John. Often imitated NEVER duplicated!!! Being the best only ends at the pen but it starts much deeper.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink
Big D

Being that I myself am from Erie, this may be a little biased….but K.J. is the man. I own several of his prints, all of which he personally gave to me, and love the quality in each and every one of them

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
Thomas Lindway

Kevin John Jobczynski is the best!
I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t mean it. A great talent.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
Amanda Conley

Favorite Sports artist hands down is Kevin-John Jobczynski…the realism he brings to his pieces is amazing, I have a Sidney Crosby print hanging on my wall and the dirty spray coming off the ice looks so real that at first glance I thought one of my kids spilled something on it

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink
AMY

Kevin-John!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink
Kevin M.

K.J. is the man. Good person, good artist. Keep up the good work!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink
Danielle Calabrese

Kevin John Jobczynski of Erie, Pa. He is amazing, a true inspiration to other up and coming artists…..(my daughter). He just keeps getting better and better every year. awesome

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink
Amanda Kelly

Kevin-John is no doubt the leader in the field of sports art .

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

kevin.john he is the best there is i have never seen better work then his just ask well that is wat u r doing,,,lol…lol…but trust me he is very good..i love wat he does…

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink
Mel Gray

Kevin-John Jobczynski is, by far, the best artist associated with Beckett books. Not only is he the best artist, he also has a heart larger than he is when it comes to helping out charities. Kevin-John rocks in my book :)

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Kevin John’s work is 2nd to none, but if had to vote 1) Kevin John 2) Dick Perez 3) whom ever did all those diamond kings back in the day (I think it was dick perez) and 4) Dave Sliepka.
Kevin has only been doing work for beckett for less than a year, the best I’m sure it yet to come ! Keep Rock’in Kevin, LOVE seeing your work.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
Steph

Kevin-John Jobczynski is one of my favorite artists, and not just his sports related art work! I have a picture of The Boston Store (located in Erie PA) hanging in my hallway that was drawn by Kevin-John many, many years ago and it is a masterpiece!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
Cammy

Kevin-John’s work rocks!!! One great artist!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Permalink
cheryl kelly

Kevin John Jobczynski is the most standout and detailed sports artist without a doubt !

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink
Robert E

The most reputable sports artist of our time is the honorable Kevin-John Jobczynski. He is an inspiration
to many!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink
John Hirz

Kevin-John is definately the best!!!!!! I have a picture of Academy High School (Erie, Pa) that Kevin drew many, many years ago. It is by far my favorite peace. He is an excellent artist and his recent sports pictures have the best detail and emotion you can imagine in a drawing.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

I started collecting work from Tempy Moore. She does amazing freehand work. I now alot of High End Sports Collectors that use her for everything. Most of my Sports art is from her studio.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
Greg G

Kevin-John Jobczynski is the best.

Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
Adam

Checkout Chuck Braud at http://www.chuckbraud.com … This guy is a phenomenal sports artist both with paints on large canvas as well as in smaller scales such as the sketch cards he did for 2011 Topps Baseball and 2011 Topps Football … Great talent from Louisiana!!!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Permalink
Marco westhartford

Kevin-John Jobczynski is by far the best artist I know! His work is amazing! He is the Mickey Mantle of sports art!

Posted January 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink
Jennie Bone

Kevin-John Jobczynski by far :)

Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink
Troy Tashima

Chris Henderson is the BEST up & coming artist in the real life art category.
If you want to see another new artist that is more impressionism, check out Vo Nguyen.
Both are awesome and hard to beat. Be sure to check them out on FB

Posted January 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Permalink
Colleen Mezler

Kevin-John Jobczynski gets my vote!!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:18 am | Permalink

My fav is Tempy Moore she is an up and coming
Who has some of the best stuff in my house to date. I have KJ work as well so I own
Both KJ and Tempy Moore.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:43 am | Permalink
Dennis

By far Kevin-John, his passion for art and sports equal none! He not only captures the likeness of the figure but the soul in the eyes and the intensity in the facial expression, there is more to the drawing than just what you see, it’s what you feel!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 7:13 am | Permalink
Rachael Jiuliante

Kevin-John Jobczynski is without a doubt the most talented sports artist out there. He has a ridiculous amount of talent and captures so much emotion in all of his work. It is truly amazing!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

I vote for Tempy Moore. Her work is one of a kind
And she is too modest. She was just at the Empire State
Painting canvas for all the Governors and Senators! Then turn around and
Do my whole game room for little ol me. She is a great sports artist!!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink
Lance Harwell

Daniel Moore hands down. I hate Bammer with the best of them but his prints transcend that.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Tempy Moore her work is fab! Very collectable artworks see some of her work http://www.artforyinz.com
She has my vote! I’ve been buying Becketts since the 80’s and I love and collect sports art with the best of them and this girl got serious talent. All my best!!
Eric B.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Tempy Moore her hockey art should be used in a set of your cards!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink
Mindy Watson

I have several pieces of sports art, but I gotta say that Kevin-john Jobczynski has drawn my favorite pieces!!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Tempy Moore her work is Topps!! I have all of her prints and some custom art that she did for my husband that everyone wants to buy off of us! She would be a great candidate for your up and coming artists for the future of sports art!:)

Posted January 19, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
John Jiuliante

Kenin-John Jobczynski does a great job. Super artist.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink
Andrew Miller

Graig Kreindler! He’s AWESOME, sir!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
Nicole Tellem

Graig Kreindler’s work is incomparable. His paintings are meticulously done, beautiful and each one takes you back to the moment in time it has captured.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink
Greg

Hmmm…I seem to be going against the tide here but Graig Kreindler gets my vote. His stuff is far superior.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Sara

Graig Kreindler’s baseball work is phenomenal. Takes you right into the narrative of every painting!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink
Akshay

I would highly recommend Graig Kreindler. His paintings are completely out of this world!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink
Will Schneider

At first glance, Graig Kreindler paintings are of baseball scenes, but the truth is his paintings explain to non-believers why the rest of us love baseball.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Charles Ott, otherwise known as the Steel City Artist is one of the most incredible illustrators in the country. The artist features a new collection of digital illustrations of sports legends.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
Joe Greco

You guys must have rocks in your head. Graig Kreindler, and it’s not even close.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

I have to give kudos to the Hall of Fame master, Dick Perez. You have to see the paintings of Graig Kreindler if you haven’t already – and I love the custom painted balls by Monty Sheldon.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
chris

Jared Kelley gets my vote!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink
Brett Levinthal

Graig Kreindler … you may end this thread now.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I consider myself lucky that I live in the era of Graig Kreindler producing sports art. He’s the tops in my book!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink
Matthew Gilman

How can you not say Dick Perez??!! What an amazing artist. And being bigtime card collector love seeing his work,

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
del

The BEST baseball artist is Graig Kreindler!!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink
Kyle Banister

I follow a lot of sports/Baseball artists, and there are many I admire. But if I had to pick a favorite I’d have to go with Graig Kreindler. His paintings are so detailed and full of emotion that they actually tell a story.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink
Jenny Goldberg

Graig Kreindler will forever be my favorite!! His art just takes my breath away!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler, Hands down. His work is hand down the best I have ever seen. My wife looks at them and say they are amazing.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink
Herb Bernstein

My favorite sports artist is Graig Kreindler. His paintings bring you back in time. You can hear the crowds yell in the background. His paintings touch the true character of the subject. His use of light makes you feel as if you are looking at a photograph. For those who are not familiar with his work, you are missing out if you don’t check it out.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink
Graig

Paul Lempa in the hizzy!!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

There are almost too many to mention, but here are a few who influenced me over the years; Andy Jurinko, Bill Purdom, Graig Kreindler, Monty Sheldon, Kadir Nelson, George Sosnak, Stephen Holland, Ernie Barnes, Arthur K. Miller and Ron Stark.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink
Terry Kwentus

Graig Kreindler is by far the best. His work is simply amazing.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Permalink
Bret Boylan

The absolute best sports artist I have ever come across is Graig Kreindler from Bronxville, NY. His work has been displayed in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Google him and check his work out, it is jaw dropping!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Kevin-John Jobczynski is very talented but I prefer the work of Greg Kreindler.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

A couple of sports artists that I haven’t seen you shine the light on in the past, but most assuredly deserve it, are Graig Kreindler and Gary Joseph Cieradkowski.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink
j connors

Graig Kreindler is my favorite. His paintings are realistic but more than that, you feel the passion of the subject and the action going on.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink
ryan weatherford

PAUL LEMPA AND BERNIE HUBERT. LEMPA’S AN AWESOME PAINTER AND HUBERT HAS MAYBE THE BEST STUFF IVE EVER SEEN. THE DETAIL HE PUTS IN EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL IN A PIECE IS INCREDIBLE, AS IN THE PEOPLE IN THE STANDS

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Permalink
Kristen Hart

No one can capture a moment or a personality like Paul Lempa. His attention to detail is unmatched.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink
Brian D.

Graig Kreindler! Very impressive stuff. Don’t take my word for it, look him up!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink
cathy smith

Tim Carroll is my favorite sports art artist by far.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink
mia murphy

I don’t know who this Kevin-John is but the artist that is a true artist (regardless of his sports genre) is Graig Kreindler. He is the best sports artist (or just plain great artist) that I know of.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink
Jay's Sports Cards

Tim Carroll —Beautiful art work !! Very creative check him out!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink
melisa ward

as a baseball purist no doubt the best is Graig Kreindler
his work is evocative and incredibly detailed

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler is a modern day master in the genre. I occasionally have the privledge of seeing one of his original works at Gamma one (top tier artwork photography studio in NYC) when dropping off my own work. Amongst all of the amazing artwork waiting to be documented at the studio, Graigs paintings alway stand out in the crowd.
Sports artists simply don’t get any better than Graig

Posted January 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink
Ray Groll

I am very impressed by the classic baseball art of Graig Kreindler which brings me back to the good ole baseball days of my youth in the late fifties and sixties ! Unbelievable likenesses and detail !

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Permalink
Jon Snyder

The BEST baseball artist is GRAIG KREINDLER! He’s been my favorite for the last few years!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
Michael

Paul Lempa is my favorite!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
Caralyner

Hands down the best artist is Mr. Graig Kreindler. He brings historical moments in baseball to life in ways I’ve never seen before. His attention to detail is incredible. Everything he’s done is exquisite. It’s no wonder he has a waiting list for commissions – if you’d see his work you’d understand why!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Arlene

My favorite artist has to be Graig Kreindler. He takes black and white pictures and researches, researches and researches. Then he researches again. His use of color, light, and shadows is as realistic as it gets. His work is so lifelike that the figures jump off the page. You can feel the excitement of being at the game. Visit his website at graigkreindler.com
Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Posted January 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler is an astounding artist and historian of wonderful moments and heroes of the game. His paintings are incredible pieces that are simply unforgettable. My
Vote is for Kreindler by a mile.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink
Annmarie Jiuliante

Kevin-John Jobczynski is the absolute best sports artist. No one even comes close to his talent.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
Stacey Tirro

Graig Kriendler. Hands down. No one does baseball better – especially vintage Yanks.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

I collect football and for me one of my favorite sets was Gridiron Kings from Donruss. Back in 2002 when I was first getting into collecting I purchased some packs of Gridiron Kings and was impressed by the artistic portraits of the recent players and HOFers. I liked it so much I ended up completing the full autograph/memorabilia set from the product, 2002 Gridiron Kings Gridiron Cut Collection. It features the same portraits as the base cards, but also has autos, jerseys, and ball swatches from the likes of Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Terry Bradshaw and company. It was a great set and one that I would love to see again in a Panini product someday!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink
Paul Roberti

Huge Fan of Graig Kreindlers work. I haven’t seen anybody doing what he’s doing. Really inspiring and incredible talent.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink
Ed

Graig Kreindler is the finest sports artist. His paintings are both realistic and romantic. They make you feel like you are there.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink
Ed

Graig Kriendler. He is quite simply the finest artist there is for old-time baseball. His work transports you back to much more colorful and simpler time. He is THE modern day Charles Conlon of sports painting. I can’t say enough how outstanding his work and commitment is to the craft of sports art.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
Dan Brown

My say would have to go to Graig Kreindler. His art is amazing, the masterpieces he creates make you feel you are there first hand!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
Johnny

Hands down, not even a question, Graig Kreindler. His work is so realistic it is as if you were at the ball field or the ball player was infront of you. If you have not had the privlage of seeing his work do so. Google his website and you will be astonished.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
Toby

Graig Kreindler is the best I’ve ever seen. His paintings are like a time machine taking you back in history.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink
Glen S

Graif Kreindler is the man! His stuff belongs in the HOF!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink
Teresa Gregory

Is there another sports artist besides Tim Carroll? He is absolutely the BEST!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Permalink
Meredith

Paul Lempa – without a doubt!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Permalink
Matt Reed

Tim Carroll’s artwork is amazing. I am particularly fond of his sport card art. He cuts up baseball cards and creates images of sports figures. Unique and realistic looking. Visit his website: http://www.timcarrollart.com/

Posted January 19, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink
Shivani

Graig Kreindlers work is amazing!!! His paintings make you feel like you personally experienced the moment. They take you on a baseball journey through time.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Tim Carroll gets my vote. Shoeless Joe made out of black socks, Frank Thomas made with Band-aids, Dale Earnhardt made using a radio control race car, Bill Buckner painted upside down between the legs, Ted Williams made from toothpicks, baseball cards cut up to reproduce classic cards on a poster size scale, Ali made with butterfly and bee stamps…every piece he does has some twist that makes me say “THAT is art I can appreciate”.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink
Ed

Bernie Hubert is another favorite.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink
C

Graig Kreindler – if you don’t know home, take the time to check him out – exquisite artwork!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Permalink
Howard Chernick

Graig Kreindler!!!! Just take a look at any of his paintings and you will see why he is the best. I met him at a card show where he showed me some of his work. I’ve been a fan since then. His work is realistic and makes you feel that you are there. One day when i save enough money i hope to purchase one of his paintings.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink
Mike

Arthur K Miller is my favorite. Graig Kreindler is very good as well.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
Jon Tittle

Brian Kong’s art work on the 2010 Topps National Chicle Baseball Set was by far the best that I’ve seen in a while.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink
Mark in STL

Graig Kreindler is the best sports artist there is. His works are amazing, especially his renditions of vintage baseball. They will take your breath away.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink
Chris

Paul Lempa of course!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
missy

my vote goes to Graig Kreindler!

Posted January 19, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Permalink
PN

WARNING!!! Kreindler will ruin your appreciation for other artists. He is THAT GOOD!! A true master.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

I have to go with Jared Kelley, his work is amazing and over the last few months I have had the chance to interact with him and he is a really nice guy.

Posted January 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

I will go with my favorite Tempy Moore. She is young and fresh and has natural talent! Pittsburgh fans love this site http://www.artforyinz.com! Beckett rules!!!!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink
Jason

Graig Kreindler! He’s amazing.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink
tom nguyen

Graig Kreindler takes it to the next level, big fan of his work!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink
Alexandra D

Graig Kreindler is by far THE most AMAZING sports artist I’ve known. Check out his stuff: http://graigkreindler.com/

such attention to detail and fantastically life-like work he creates. Calling his paintings masterpieces is an understatement.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink
Robert Klevens

Graig Kreindler is by far the greatest sports painter alive. Each painting tells a story in which you feel like you are part of baseball history.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
Lucette

Graig Kreindler is not only an awesome talent but his work with vintage baseball are nation treasures. Graig, no question about it.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
Gigi

For me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the answer is Graig Kreindler. The only thing more beautiful than Graig’s paintings of baseball are the game of baseball itself.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink
Cj

Graig Kreindler is phenomenal.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink
Hannah Parsons

Favorite has to be, without a doubt, Graig Kreindler!!! His paintings are absolutely incredible, life-like, beautiful, and unforgettable!!! Hands down, he is the best!!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
Euric

Graig Kreindler’s paintings are multidimensional and I can stare at them for hours just perusing all the life-like details.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink
Debra

Graig Kreindler is outstanding! The best for sure!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I have followed the work of Graig Kreindler for years and his paintings are so well researched and beautifully executed it’s no contest. Graig’s talent is awe inspiring.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Permalink
Ed

Diamond Kings hands down. I have the Brad Fulmer black ink Auto, and the Ben Grieve Gold Signiture gold ink Auto. The art makes the card robust, and the sigs are the icing on the cake.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Permalink
Michele

No one captures the history of baseball better than craig kreindler! His attention to detail is amazing!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Permalink
Claudia c

Graig kreindler! Amazing person and amazing talent!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink
marissa gilberg

Graig Kreindler! He is an incredibly talented, methodical painter and really captures vintage baseball moments better than anyone I have seen.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Permalink
Mike Carbonaro

Brian Kong’s work on the 2009 Allen & Ginter set was my favorite. He was able to capture the highlight moments in the Allen & Ginter style perfectly.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Permalink
Justin

Graig Kreindler brings good things to life. Oh, and he’s good guy GREAT painter. Seriously though, I look up to Graig, he’s the best out there.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink
Jeff Phillips Kinchleys

How is this even a discussion? Take one look at Graig Kreindler and this discussion is over.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink
Rich Rockwood

I think Griag Kreindler is a fantastic artist who really brings his subjects to like. His link is http://www.graigkreindler.com.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
Bob Sinkevitch

I have to say Brian Kong’s artwork on the In the Game Ultimate Hockey was the best sports card work I have seen in a while. I loved the way he paid homage to the old Hockey art with modern day legends.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink
Peggy Ehrhardt

Here’s another shout-out for Paul Lempa. His work is so “alive” that I feel I must be wearing 3D glasses. Genius talent!

Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler’s work just blows me away; I haven’t seen anyone else that compares.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink
Chris Anderson

Graig Kreindler and then Danny Wild Photography

Posted January 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Permalink
Julie

I would have to say Graig Kreindler is my favorite sports artist, for sure.

Posted January 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler is the homerun king!!!!!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 3:04 am | Permalink

My vote is for Tim Carroll…what masterpieces he makes from cutting up cards!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 7:55 am | Permalink
maria

Graig Krendler is an amazingly talented sports artist, it is definitely my favorite. His paintings are so realistic you feel like you are there. Take a look at at his site: https://Graigkreindler.com.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 8:48 am | Permalink
Jennifer C.

Brian Kong is my favorite sports sketch card artist. He captures the player likenesses perfectly, but adds his own style & edge to the cards, which in my book separates him from all the other sketch artists.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Permalink
Leah Frost

John Giancaspro is the BEST SPORTS ARTIST PERIOD!!!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Posted January 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink
Marc Colontonio

ive known this artist since 6th grade and since 6th grade he has a talent that is unbeliveable
im talking about John Giancaspro he is a very good artist and should have his own show .
if you are lucky enough to see his art youll agree

So Keep drawing and painting John

your pal
Marc

Posted January 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink
Michelle Henschel

John Giancaspro’s work is AMAZING~ Vivid Deep and Captivating~ I love his work and I cant really stand sports; other then UFC, so that’s really saying something! Please do yourself a favor and check him out; you wont be sorry~ *Winks* http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000613195047

Posted January 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink
Michelle Henschel

Posted January 21, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

The idea of a contest for the best artist is silly. How do you pick a best when so many
out there are great. Monty Sheldon, Paul Lempa, Graig Kreindler, Bernie Hubert, Kevin-John Jobczynski, Dick Perez and many many more. Many work in different mediums and have different styles that are totally divergent. They are all great and creative and to have competition
as to who is best is like asking who is better Picasso, Matisse, Van Gogh, Rembrandt or DaVinci. They were all great and are appeciated for their talent. If Beckett had any sense they would pick about 20-100 of the different sports artists and display their week in multiple issues so they can all be enjoyed.

********* From mod: Nobody ever said this was a contest — not at all.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink
Wendy Parsons

Graig Kreindler is definitely the most brilliant sports artist that I know of. You only have to look at the detail in his paintings to recognise that. Plus the research that goes into making sure every color is correct is astounding!!!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink
Erica

No doubt about it, I think the BEST sketch card artist is Brian Kong. His style really captures the players likenesses.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
Marge Lawrence

Graig Kriendler is a painter and an artist, contest are stupid, especially when it comes to something so subjective as a creative effort.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Nobody said this was a contest. It was a call for opinions with a selection of those opinions to appear in the magazine.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
Carol

Brian Kong made a sketch I love…Mark Sanchez. Gotta see it all you Jets fans in NYNJ!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

My favorite is Tim Carroll…his original work of Arts are amazing! If you have the chance to check out his stuff…..see his Frank Thomas work of Art…Titled “The Big Hurt” using band aids!!! Best regards, David

Posted January 21, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink
SG

Check out Brian Kong’s artwork. He is outstanding!

Posted January 21, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Permalink
MrJeff

- Brian Kong’s artwork is so life-like….

Posted January 21, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink
opcfan

Tim Carroll get my vote also, truly great artisan.

Posted January 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink
Nelson Eng

Brian Kong has my vote, his sketch cards bring the players to life.

Posted January 22, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Beckett is the foremost leader in the Sports card world,And I love all the artists that have worked with them and have collected alot of sports art from some of the older artist through the years . I have access to have work and easy contact with Tempy Moore of the Pittsburgh Area. Her work is very good and can be custom to your liking. I want her to get more involved in the sports card memorabilia to add to my nice collection. Keep up the great work Tempy. And glad to see such great responses on this posting!! Hopefully we get more people into the collecting side like yester years!!!

Posted January 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Permalink
Dana DR

Graig Kreindler is an extraordinarily talented sports artist. He takes pride in doing research, matching colors, and creating the most authentic sports scenes that he can. You should check out his work – especially if you’re an old-timer!

Posted January 22, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
Bruce McCallum

Larry Klu has got to be my favorite sports artist. He distinguishes himself from many other sports artists by painting incredible pieces on actual sports equipment, jerseys, and even Terrible Towels. The dude has got some skills!

Posted January 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink
Susie Snyder

Graig Kreindler definitely gets my vote! His talent is immeasurable and I absolutely love all of his work!

Posted January 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink
George Godlin

My all-time favorite is Brian Kong. Great use of color, creativity and realism make him such a great sketch card artist.

Posted January 22, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink
Todd M

My favorite is Brian Kong. He is a great artist and you can always recognize his style.

Posted January 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink
Nicholas

Jason Yoder without a doubt

Posted January 23, 2012 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Brian Kong is my favorite sketch card artist. His work displays a rare dynamic example and I think it is great!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 7:47 am | Permalink
Brett A. Blair

My 2 favorite artists are Tim Carroll for mixed media and sketch artist is Chris Henderson

Posted January 23, 2012 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Can I nominate myself? Actually I think James Fiorentino is tremendous and of course, Dick Perez and Arthur Miller are both amazing too!

I’d love to see my Bryce Harper painting on the cover of Beckett though!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink
Phil Chu

- Brian Kong is my favorite sketch card artist.

– I love Brian Kong’s sports card artwork.  He captures the players in great detail.-

– Brian Kong’s artwork is so life-like….

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink
Helen Lee

I love Brian Kong’s sports card artwork. He captures the players in great detail, he has my vote.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Jason Yoder (www.cincysportsart.com) has done a lot of work with the minor league players and has broken through to some of the mainstream athletes as well. Amazing work done by a quality individual.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink
Cat

Graig Kreindler – absolutely!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink
Grace Cotto

Brian Kong is FANTASTIC!!! LOVE HIS SKETCH CARDS!!!!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Permalink
Jon L

Brian Kong is the best.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
JKS

Brian Kong’s work is amazing…he gets my vote hands down.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink
Molly Wescoat

Dave Shorey interpretation of the sports figures brings a life like quality to the Art.
He is amazingly talented!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink
Steve Stubbs

Dave Shorey does excellent work and his prices are very affordable.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink
Steve Stubbs

Dave Shorey does excellent work!

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:20 am | Permalink
john marshfield

It’s incredible that so many contemporary artists of middling talent are mentioned here. None of the names

This is embarrassing. The idea that these middling artists have created a popularity contest to name themselves as “great artists” is silly. Where is George Bellows on this list? Willard Mullin? There are a thousand artists better than any name on this list.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 10:52 am | Permalink
Kirby D

The work of Tim Carroll is unlike any I have ever seen before. Very creative and original. Check him out:

Posted January 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Laura

Love Larry Klu’s sports art. He is a versatile painter who works on many different surfaces. Really like his style, colors, composition, and emotions that he conveys in the athletes.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink
Karen

Dave Shorey’s work is amazing, so rich with depth and detail.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink
V Auggy

Brian Kong is an AMAZING sketch artist. The detail and quality of his work is hands down the best!

Posted January 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
Tom Panas

Brian Kong gets my vote, for sure. What I love about Brian’s work is that he captures the artistry of the athletes and illustrates his subject’s athletic skills through his own creativity. Excuse the cliche, but his art captures the “poetry in motion” of the athlete.

Posted January 25, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink
Neil

Jonathan Banchick is a great sports illustrator. Love his stuff! He recently finished a commission for a client of Phil and Joe Niekro and the finished painting is now hanging in Phil Niekro’s house in Florida.

His illustrations “Reverence” and “Hero Worship” were both featured in past Beckett Sports Art Gallery contests.

Here’s a link to his amazing illustrations… http://banchickillustration.daportfolio.com/

Posted January 25, 2012 at 10:42 am | Permalink
Elayne

Paul Lempa’s artwork is really awesome! I’m always really impressed with the attention to detail in his pieces. I’ve seen his work evolve over the years–the art and the artist keep getting better and better!

Posted January 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink
Sean

There is no comparison .Paul Lempa is hands down the most talanted sports artist out there. First off he actually paints the cards. The concentration and talent required to handle a paint brush with such ability while working with such a small canvass is incredible. Paul Lempa captures each players likeness like no other.. Mr.Lempa does not just create sketch cards but tiny masterpieces.

Posted January 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
Ron

Paul Lempa gets it .He is my pick for the best sports artist. Try to find one of his pieces it’s almost impossible. As soon as I see them on eBay or at a gallery they are sold almost instantly. That’s the appreciation his work has by the collectors . I just recently saw a piece of his he did for the ESPN documentary The Real Rocky which is about the true life Rocky ,Chuck Wepner it was incredible. I came across the painting by accident while I was checking out http://Www.chuckwepner.com . The piece features Wepner hitting Ali in the fight that inspired the Rocky movies . It was such a life like image. After seeing that it once again confirmed for me what I already knew. Paul Lempa is a true artist in every sense and the best sports artist alive in my and many others opinion.

Posted January 27, 2012 at 6:52 am | Permalink
Matt

The names mentioned before are all great artists. However, there is nobody that creates a more photo-realistic piece of art than VERNON WELLS! If you don’t know him, you need to! http://www.vwellsart.com

Posted January 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Permalink
Patty

Vernon Wells, HANDS DOWN!!!!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
susan coolbaugh

vernon wells is my favorite and he captures realistic detail in all of his work…he’s extremely talented and such a gentleman!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink
Pat McClure

Hands down Vernon Wells creates the best pieces of sports’ art. VERNON WELLS is the best.
Check out his site at http://www.vwellsart.com

Posted January 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink
Kristina Allen

Vernon Wells is the best!!!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
Jennifer

Vernon Wells is phenominal! His work is beautiful and so full of passion!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Permalink
Cherita Chadwell

Vernon Wells is the best. Love Love Love his work.

Posted January 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink
Kevin

My vote goes to Brian Kong, I’ve been a fan of his artwork for sometime now.

Posted January 28, 2012 at 6:36 am | Permalink
Tracy L. Carpenter

Vernon Wells. Noone compares to the realistic artistry like he does.the ability to use only two colours on canvas is mind blowing! He is The BEST!!!

Posted January 28, 2012 at 7:19 am | Permalink
Jen Montes

Graig Kreindler breaths life into the history of baseball with his work…it’s amazing to see these past moments brought to the present. His passion is evident in every finished piece.

Posted January 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink
rodney horton

Vernon Wells..I thought u already knew!

Posted January 28, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
Kevin St. J

Do any past art-focused card sets stand out to you? 2007 DC Legacy. Nice sets that celebrates 50 characters of DC Comics universe over the years. The “Big 3″ of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are highlighted along with their counterparts of Joker, Lex Luther and Cheetah along with some older favorites such as Green Lantern and newer incarnations like Batwoman. But it’s the sketch card artist line-up that makes it worth cracking a box: Andy Price, Katie Cook, Mike Lilly, Renae De Liz, Tony Perna and Warren Martineck to name a few bring their own creative takes on DC’s iconic characters.

Do you have a favorite sketch card artist? Nar! Check out any of his 200 cards out of 2007 Marvel Masterpieces, it’s pure passion in those mini works of art! Whether it’s done in color, grey tones or in inks all of his cards deliver top notch quality. You can also find in his sketch cards in more limited amounts in the packs of Marvel Masterpieces 2 & 3 and Woman of Marvel. He was also the case incentive artist for Fantastic Four Archives and has his own brand of cards called SketchLords.

Posted January 28, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink
James burzynki

Graig Kriendler is the best hands down.. Featured in numerous musuems and his artwork even recently opened for baseball tv show with Tom Brokaw on Fox Sports…

Posted January 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Tempy Moore has done some fabulous work both in hockey and football art. She is in a mostly male ran arena with a skill set that matches what I have seen.

Posted January 28, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink
Phillipa Spencer

VERNON WELLS is the absolute best! You’re just waiting for those guys to jump off the canvas they’re so realistic! All of you should check him out and see what you’ve been missing.

Posted January 29, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink
Don Pedicini Jr.

I would say Brian Kong AND Chris Henderson . Both capture the likenesses and strength of the players masterfully.

Posted February 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Graig Kreindler, for anyone who has or hasn’t seen his work, is one of the most talented sports artists painting today. It’s a shame more people haven’t become familiar with his work. I would strongly urge everyone to look him up and get to know his work and give him the credit he deserves, best sports artist!!!

Posted February 15, 2012 at 5:59 am | Permalink
Larry kunzleman

I just got my first ever Tempy Moore Leaf 2012 Sketch Card of Ozzie Smith! It is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing Card that just captured him perfect! Tempy Moore will always be my favorite artist period! Thank You LEAF for getting such great talent! Great Product!
Larry