Short-printed Albert Pujols & Jose Reyes cards set to arrive in 2012 Topps Series 1

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

As seen on the cover of the next issue of Beckett Baseball at the printer right now, Topps will be including short-printed variation cards of Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes into packs of 2012 Topps Series 1 when it arrives on Feb. 1.

The company teased the cards on Monday, nine days before the arrival of the hobby’s most-collected set — and the same day as the arrival of the magazine.

This will be Pujols’ first card as a Los Angeles Angel, while Reyes will be shown with the Miami Marlins for the first time. Pujols will be on card No. 331, while Reyes will be on 332 — both will have different (and not short-printed) versions in Series 2.

What else will be found inside the packs?

Find the magazine on Feb. 1 … maybe some packs of Topps, too.

Can’t say that I’m digging the new Miami Marlins logo.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink
Michael Chase

I hadn’t decided if I liked the looks of the 2012 base set or not, but those two on the magazine look really sharp. I bet they look ever better in hand.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Look at the upper righthand corner of the magazine. So, maybe this year’s “Abe Lincoln” cards are mascot cards?

Craig from Texas

Posted January 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Well, at least they’ll be easier to spot than the Diamond Sparkle cards from last year!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I’m actually really liking the base design for Topps this year. Kudos!

Posted January 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

I’d lean toward it not being a mascot SP.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink
Aardvark Ratnick

Topps and their crazy gimmicks are saving me heaps of money. One day when they hire a professional product manager that didn’t get their marketing degree in Disneyland I might come back.

Posted January 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink
Todd Warden

Since they already do the mascot inserts in the Opening Day set, I doubt that they would do something so similar for the base set.

Posted January 24, 2012 at 11:25 am | Permalink
Leif Gilner

The Topps 2012 Baseball Cards are awesome looking baseball cards.

Posted January 26, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Permalink
Ben

I don’t understand why people get so worked up about the super short print “gimmick” cards. They are essentially an added bonus. Do you care about them? Probably not. But odds are someone with deep pockets does for one reason or another. Anyone who pulls a SSP and doesn’t care about the card is going to sell it and get paid. You can’t tell me that getting paid for card you dislike sucks.

Posted January 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

3 Trackbacks

1. [...] [...]

2. [...] other news, Beckett Media reports that Jose Reyes will have a short-printed variation baseball card picturing him as a Miami Marlin in Topp…, which is due to arrive in stores at the beginning of February. For collectors who miss out, Reyes [...]

3. [...] other news, Beckett Media reports that Jose Reyes will have a short-printed variation baseball card picturing him as a Miami Marlin in Topp…, which is due to arrive in stores at the beginning of February. For collectors who miss out, Reyes [...]