(Updated) Card Gallery: 2012 Topps baseball

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

While we’re a few days away from Feb. 1 — aka the arrival day for this year’s version of the hobby’s most-collected set, Topps baseball — we’ll offer some peaks at what’s inside the wrappers in the simplest way possible.

A no-words-necessary card gallery.

See a selection of the insert cards to be found beginning on Wednesday after the jump. (We’ll add more images soon — and look for more items on the start of the new baseball card year here soon.)

Click on the images (twice) for a larger and unobstructed look.

kevin

inserts are what makes me no longer want to collect baseball cards…can we just have team sets and leave it alone..i collect dodger cards so now i have to spend 25 dollars getting all the stupid insert card of jackie robinson and sandy koufax that are absolutely worthless cards…the 87 ethier card is pointless as well….oh and i can’t also wait for the sp koufax, reese, snider, robinson, and campy card that goes now in each years set…50.00 for 5 cards that don’t matter..

get rid of all this garbage photo shopped crap…just 25 players and the manager from the CURRENT team..like you did for the first 40 years

Posted January 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Kevin: it sounds like your collecting days are over.
This is not your hobby apparently.
Topps baseball is hard not to like for a real fan.
Sorry about your many disapppoinments.
I cant wait to open some TOPPS 2012, but again I dont buy cards to make money off of them, but to enjoy them.
ROCK ON TOPPS 2012.
Send me the good stuff.
JOHNNY

Posted January 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Inserts are what makes me want to collect baseball cards. I love pulling inserts of the great Hall of Famers. I’d rather have them than most any of the base cards any day. Insert cards are the reason I buy cards.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

Kevin: If the cards “don’t matter” than why are you worried about buying them? Buy what you want and leave the rest for those of us that actually want the inserts. Topps still makes separate team sets just for you, so you can avoid all of the other cards that “don’t matter”.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink
Michael Chase

These inserts blow last years out of the water and I kinda liked last years…but damn I can’t wait to open some 2012 Topps Baseball!!!!

Posted January 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink
Ross

I feel like Topps has really watered down the novelty of including retired players. It’s fine to have the base SPs and the autos in stuff like Tribute or Triple Threads, but they’ve kinda taken the excitement out of pulling cards of legends. 5 of these inserts here are of retired players. I don’t need a half dozen Andre Dawson inserts in 2011 and 2012. It’d be nice to see more current players instead of the same 20 superstars and 20 ‘legends.’

Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink
Bobby

I collect for myself too and not for money, but when Topps don’t have auto’s from their players under contract, they should not be allowed to insert redemptions for those player’s cards.

How can I redeem something that they don’t even have? Total BS. I stop buying boxes because of this problem. I just buy singles off ebay now.

Very sad for the industry. I use to love opening new product, but for redemptions? Forget it!

Posted January 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink
Yankee_Pride

Love love love the ’87 Topps insert. Still probably one of my favorite designs of the 80’s with 86 Topps being second.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
kevin

well i have every los angeles dodgers team set from topps since 1958…so if i don’t get the inserts it’s makes my collection less complete. for instance last year when they had 2 sp sandy koufax cards in the 2011 set..if i don’t get them i don’t have the complete”dodger’s team set” it’s considered a base card.

they should keep vintage cards in vintage sets..thats all

i just dont see the excitement of owning the same jackie robinson pose with 35 differnet backgrounds.

Posted January 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink
colin

the 1987 minis excite me

Posted January 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink
Jason

I understand where you’re coming from Kevin, I’m a Dodger collector too..I still think inserts are cool, I just wish they would mix it up a little bit with their vintage sp guys…how about Gil Hodges, Don Drysdale, Orel Hershiser or Ron Cey instead of the other four guys year after year after year. Overall I’m excited for the new stuff but am getting burned out on 47 different color variations of the same exact picture. To each his own I guess, whatever brings fans and collectors to the game is what’s important

Posted January 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

I semi understand where Kevin is coming from. It’s a little different then baseball because I don’t think the numbers changed as drastically as they did in basketball, but before LeBron came into the league, if I wanted all Pistons from one year from every product, there would have been maybe 400-500. In 2003-04 when LeBron came into the league, that number jumped up to about 900 cards a year. This was because even more product was released and they added way too many parallels to sets. Using Topps as an example, base, chrome, base black, base gold, base orange, base purple, base diamond anniversary, chrome orange, chrome refractors, chrome orange refractors, etc. They all have the same image and the same information on the back. My OCD compells me to own one of each and we all know how difficult that is.

However, I will say that these cards look nice. Hopefully I’ll take the time to open some and get some Tigers for my PC. :)

Posted January 31, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink
kevin

i’m fine with getting older players cards..but in their respective sets (tribute, ect) I would just prefer inserts and cards of current 2012 players in this set.

i just think there shouldn’t be more golden great dodger cards (5 jr/ 5 koufax) inserts than the actually team set of current players.

but i think they don’t have veteran short prints in this years series 1 so i’m happy i don’t have to get another photo shopped pee wee reese card…

but hey..i ‘m glad i don’t collect cardinals cards and have to be forced to buy a card with a stupid squirrel on it. so there is a bright side.

Posted January 31, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink
Sonny

I’ll wait ’till they release the complete 2012 set as well as the “traded” series. I wish that next year, Topps will make all of their cards look like the 1991 set and include managers. It’d be cool to have a Don Mattingly Dodger’s MGR card.

Posted January 31, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink
kevin

2011 topps heritage has a dodgers don mattingly manager card

Posted January 31, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink
Sonny

Why doesn’t the regular “Series 1 & 2″ have the manager cards? I recently purchased the 1992 complete set and its dope featuring the Manny Ramirez Draft Pick.

Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink