Ripping Retail: 2011 Topps WWE Classic

Join Chris Olds as he rips into 10 retail packs of the newest wrestling card set from Topps, 2011 WWE Classic, in this latest installment of Ripping Retail.

What did he find inside? Watch and find out …

After the jump, you can see a huge gallery of cards from the set, showcasing some of the more well-known WWE Superstars and Divas as well as a selection of some of the emerging talents, too.

Click on each image for an unobstructed view … and click a second time for a larger size.

I’m going to take a wild guess and figure you bought those at Target. Chris, do you feel any guilt for supporting the retail/ big box store marketplace for our hobby? I know, I sure do. I appreciate that novice collectors and kids cans pick up a pack, but it breeds scammers and Packsearchers. Damn catch 22 situation???

Posted January 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Going to take a wild guess and figure that you didn’t watch the video.

There’s not much to worry about with this product … watch it and hear the odds.

Posted January 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Of course, I watched the video on YouTube. I would not leave a comment without watching. I have to disagree though with you. They are greater odds for Packsearchers to be at a retail store than at my hobby shop. I love you Mr. Olds. What great promotion and energy you have for the hobby! But I can’t find the strength to shell out $ to Target or any other retail store.
Just was looking for some personal view on retail purchases.

You da man Chris!!!

Posted January 12, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink
chrisolds

With odds as long as these are in retail for this product, it simply does not matter.

I buy retail when it makes sense — some products it does matter, some it does not.

In this instance, the packs were there and I wanted to do a video.

(I was actually shopping for groceries, too.)

Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

LOL! I will admit I get the same itch to buy retail when doing groceries too. Thanks for taking time to respond Mr. Olds. Appreciate all of your videos.

Thanks,
big Willie Long Beach, Ca.

Posted January 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink
Michael Chase

I appreciate the time you take to do these..especially wrestling. I don’t have the option of buying hobby(except online) where I live so I’m always curious about others retail adventures. Love all your vids Chris…keep em coming

Posted January 12, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink
Ty

I personally agree that retail cards are in a large part nonsense. It pisses me off to think of how many killer cards are wasted on kids or (as I’ve been told my retail employees) thrown away as boxes get “damaged” or sit there for too long. I’ve spent probably over $15K opening packs/boxes b/c it’s just so much more fun that buying singles, and the 6 best cards I’ve probably ever pulled were out of single retail packs, not even blasters.

I got a Reggie Bush/Earl Campbell DUAL AU /10 in ’06 I still have, a Ken Griffey Jr WBC Patch /8 in ’06 that sold for $1600 & a Sid Luckman cut AU /3 that sold for over $2000. These were all out of single packs at a local Pamida (red-neck run down version of Wal-Mart in a town w/ a population under 800.)

At a Wal-mart 45 miles away in a town with a similar population, I got a 2007 Topps David Wright 1/1 AU, a Jack Morris buyback 1/1 AU, & a Golden Ticket signed football of the top 20 rookies of 2007 including Adrian Peterson.

With all of this, you can say that it would be ridiculous for me to hate on retail after pulling all of these, but with 1) the TONS of money spent at retail w/o even getting a Jersey card & 2) even the THOUGHT of some 5 yr old kid pulling one of these and what would end up happening to the card, I am TOTALLY against retail! Anyone agree?

Posted January 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Ty: Sorry to disagree with you there — there are a LOT of people who don’t have a card shop to visit so retail is their only option without waiting a week for something to be mailed. Really disagree on the “wasted on kids” sentiment, too.

Posted January 17, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink
Jeremy Brannon

Ty must have been born an adult.
This is a “KIDS” hobby big or small and trust most kids
are more knowledable than you give them credit.
Pretty sure I knew all the big stars when I was a kid, and the
difference between Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey and Emmitt Smith versus some
scrub at the end of the bench.
Your retail hits are by far the exception. Most people would get half the value
busting cases instead of just individual packs.

Posted January 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Permalink