Albert Pujols signs with Los Angeles Angels

Want to see Pujols in every MLB uniform? Click here.

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Several media outlets are reporting this morning that Albert Pujols – the most-coveted free agent this year and the best hitter in baseball — has signed a 10-year, $250-million-plus contract with the Los Angeles Angels.

Does this hurt his baseball card potential? Perhaps not as much as other destinations, but we’ll see once the dust settles. First, though, take our polls … then leave your thoughts in the comments below!

Albert Pujols is a Los Angeles Angel

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

On cardboard: Pujols to L.A.

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

CNR

Hahaha. Funny seeing all the self-proclaimed best fans in baseball turning on Pujols. Last night they were the front-runners to sign him and they were happy and more than willing to pay the $. Now all of a sudden he’s not worth it. Your “baseball city” doesn’t matter.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink
dkcihu

I’m A Cardinals fan for life, and am not very happy about this… At least he signed with an American League Team. And when his body starts breaking down in 3-4 years, he’ll make a great DH… i guess…

Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink
Jason Martin

I’m in shock. Pujols’ legacy will now be tarnished because of switching teams for a fat payday. My “ton of respect” for Albert just went “some respect.”

Did he really need an extra $30-40 million on top of the $200m he could’ve gotten from the Cards?

Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Jason: You do have to wonder, though, whether it’s smart to leave for new territory as his skills will inevitably diminish over the term of the deal. Better to walk away from there than fade away?

Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink
Charles Petit

CNR – Find it funny you say our “baseball city” doesn’t matter. Last time I looked we were the World Series Champions! Also the last time I looked, we had Eleven (11) World Series Championships. Two in the last six years. Been to the series three times in the last eight. I would say that very much matters, fool. Sure we love Pujols, but the Cardinals have always shown that it is a team game. Does Pujols add significant value, YES. Do we wish he would be a Cardinal, YES. But in the end, the Cards will go and spend some of that money on a pitcher or two plus a middle infielder. The team will be solid and once again contending for a title. CNR – have fun drooling on yourself when we hoist the 12th World Championship flag right in your face!!!!

Posted December 8, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink
J Jones

Great player. Should have stayed one team. But the should have singed him first before Matt Holiday. That is why he is leaving. Pay the top dog first.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:07 am | Permalink
Jason Martin

Chris:

Age is always gonna play a factor. The upside for this is that he went AL and can be a DH in a couple years and ride out the contract.

I can see the Angels trying to trade him in a few years and eating a lot of the contract.

(This types of deals will always bother me because I believe players should realize what they’re doing and how much money they’re making. The respect they could earn by staying in a city for their entire career will go a lot farther than the extra couple million….i.e. JOE MAUER).

Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink
Don Davis

Being a die hard cub fan, I am happy he is the AL. 10 years is way to long. See Alfonso Soriano

Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink
JeffB

I keep comparing Albert to Ken Griffey Jr… Jr.’s time in Cincinnati is not considered the greatest era of his career, but could it have been better had he gone to an AL/DH-friendly club?

I’m sure some of Jr.’s later injuries could have been prevented had he been a DH. Albert’s legacy is secure: Pure perfection in STL…no one can tarnish that now. Gotta side with Chris on this one.

If he walked away from the game today, he’d be a first ballot HOF’er. Everything he does in CA will be icing on the cake.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink
Slamdaddy

Just heard they got C.J. Wilson now as well, for a few copper coins…..5 year/77.5 million.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

I’m not a fan of this because now that means the Tigers have to face him more than before. He doesn’t necessarily scare me to where every game he plays he wins, but he has that game changing potential. I also find it very unnerving due to LeBron’s move last year. He knew how back STL wanted him back, and he’d been there his whole career. As someone else states, was the $30-$40 million that much more important and being an icon in a city? At least he knows he’ll retire happy. :)

Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:23 am | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

I am extremely disappointed in St. Louis, how can you get rid of the franchise player, not to mention the best current player in all of baseball. Who cares if in 5 years or so he will become Griffey, Griffey still was better than most players in his old age.
But I dont blame Albert, I would have changed to, they dont want to pay the best, why do they deserve the best? I am just super excited the Yankees did try to hard for him…stupid yankees.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Wow. I think the coolest thing about this news story, is how many people in the sports media had it all wrong. Playing in LA can only be good for PUJOLS. what else does he really need to prove?
“I guess Pujols isnt the only one playing hardball” THE GAME
Johnny Hodge

Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
Dave

I know a lot of fans are upset but the Cards spend their money smart. With all that money freed up I bet they make a run at Prince.

Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink
Nick Tegeler

I think the following:

1. You can’t blame a guy for wanting to leave a team that ultimately acted like they could care less to begin with and tried to guilt him into staying and not make the kind of money he has earned for 11 years.

2. He has been playing for under what he was worth for a long time and you can’t blame him for wanting to cash in now. If anyone on here is trying to imply they would leave 30-40 million dollars on the table, I would say “right…” I mean if you won the 240 million dollar lottery, would you tell them when they cut the check that you only wanted 200 million of it? NO!!!

3. If Albert had not played for a bargain for so long they might not have been able to win the two world series they did with him because the Cardinals would not have been able to afford the other pieces of the puzzle.

4. How can you not still have respect for Pujols when he honored his contract and could have threw a fit like other guys to be traded and didn’t. He did a decent job keeping the hoopla out of the media. And he didn’t hot dog it all year because he didn’t get his way for the couple of years. And he also didn’t have a “decision show” like some of the other guys have.

Much love to Pujols. Shame on the Cardinals for their disrespect to a baseball legend who has made the team millions of dollars and couldn’t return the favor (not like they wouldn’t have continued to make millions on his name). And last but not least… GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!

Posted December 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink
Terry Kwentus

Here is what I posted on my Facebook page:

Dear Albert Pujols, Thanks for 11 great years. In that time you have helped the Cardinals to 7 post seasons, 2 Division Championships, 3 trips to the Fall Classic and 2 World Series Titles all the while solidifying your place amongst baseball’s greats. I would say it has been an exciting ride for us Cardinals fans with many happy memories. I would like to wish you nothing but the best in the remaining years of your career with Anaheim.

With that being said, do I wish that Albert was still with the Cardinals? Yes I do. If I were the GM or Ownership would I have paid $254/10yrs? No I would not. The Cardinals made a more than fair offer and Albert rejected it. Baseball and all professional sports are a business. Whenever a player says its not about the money I laugh a little and know that it is ALWAYS about the money.

As far as I know the actual numbers the Cardinals put out there has never been made public knowledge. I have heard various supposed offers but nothing that I know of has been confirmed by Albert, his agent(Lozano), or the Cardinals. One thing people seem to forget is that Albert is a member of the MLBPA. As a member of MLBPA if he were to take a significantly less offer he would have caught a lot of grief from membership.

Posted December 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Permalink
Jack

Ya i am an angel fan and i love this!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink