Topps signs Ken Griffey Jr. to autograph deal

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

A modern-day legend has a new home.

Topps announced Monday morning that Ken Griffey Jr. has signed an autograph deal with the longest-running manufacturer of baseball cards to appear in its products starting in 2012.

Griffey previously was an exclusive spokesman and signer for Upper Deck — and the face of a generation’s cardboard boom — has never signed a Topps card for a certified release. In all, the future Hall of Famer has signed more than 1,100 different cards since his cardboard debut and appears on 13,683 different baseball cards in the Beckett.com database.

His first autographs will appear in 2012 Topps Tribute and 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen, the company said.

We’ll have more on this as soon as it becomes available.

Quentin

Glad to see his autos are spreading out among other manufacturers.

Posted November 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink
Michael Marrufo

I think thats awesome that topps signed Ken Griffey Jr, to do autographs this year and hopefully I can be luck enough to get one

Posted November 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
Brianwoodside

Great looking Tribute auto. How about a dual with Willie Mays?

Posted November 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink
Yankee_Pride

blown through all his money that quick ehh ?

Posted November 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink
Larry

That’s awesome news!!! I hope make one of those cards a full live action photo on the card, its getting alittle crazy with all of the autographed art cards like gypsy queen and allen and ginter. I don’t mind the artsy cards but i would rather have my autographs on live action shot cards.

Posted November 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Permalink
Nick Tegeler

I thought he was exclusively Upper Deck. I am glad to see him get away from there… I wonder when his contract with them expired. I hope more of the players they have leave or their contract runs out soon (i.e. Michael Jordan).

Posted November 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
Chris H

It’s only a matter of time before we get Topps Jeter AUs.

Posted November 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
Nick Tegeler

Glad to see one of the great players Upper Deck has had on lock down get free from their contract. I hope the other few thay have across other sports follow soon.

Posted November 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

That’s cool now when I get griifey with topps i could get my fifth auto pulled sweet !!!

Posted November 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

That’s great to hear now I can pull my fifth Griffey auto with Topps how sweet is that !!

Posted November 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

How cool is that now i can pull my fifth griffey auto with topps how sweet is that !!

Posted November 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink
kevin hurt

damn he has a nice auto I only collect topps so I got to have one. the gypsy queen looks better than the tribute.

Posted November 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
Charles Petit

Yeah! Beautiful Griffey sigs on cruddy Topps Stickers!

Posted November 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm | Permalink
Joe

As if the Upper Deck stickers are any better. Give the “sticker” bitch & moan session a break will you. If the companies do hand signed autos there will be less autos or the box price will be more expensive. Look at it this way. The player touched the sticker. Placement of the sticker is a better complaint. Anyway, on to more important things.
THIS NEWS IS AWESOME. Griffey autos on Topps is the best news in the card industry in a long time.

Posted November 29, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink
bigmerz

I think this is terrible news based on the fact that UD having exclusive rights to some of these players is one of the few leverage points they have to get back into baseball cards and disrupt the monopoly and resulting quality control issues TOPPS has abused the market with since taking over. Just my $.02.

Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink
kayla

cool

Posted April 26, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

One Trackback

1. By Griffey in 2012 Topps - Blowout Cards Forums on November 28, 2011 at 11:16 am

[...] is doing a great job Koufax Aaron Mays Griffey… They should make a quad auto Topps signs Ken Griffey Jr. to autograph deal | __________________ EBAY USER NAME [...]