Michael Jordan continues to command cash

By Chris Olds | Beckett Basketball Editor

It’s a good thing that the NBA lockout appears to be over — now somebody else might have a chance to star on cardboard.

With current action at a standstill, many a collector has looked backward to a safe player to sink their hobby dollars into — a guy whose buying power remains years after his career ended. (So much buying power that he was the cover story of a recent Beckett Basketball issue, by the way.)

His name? Michael Jordan.

The latest example of Jordan’s power was seen Sunday on eBay of all places where a 1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jerseys Autograph card — one of just 23 in existence — sold for five figures after 44 bids.

The final ending price? A mere $30,123.23.

That’s a whole lot of coin.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Quentin

Crazy… His cards and autos are a safe investment though. I have his Fleer RC card with a Upper Deck certified auto and paid a fraction of a fraction of that cost, even though it’s the most expensive card I have in my PC.

Posted November 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink
Chris J

His cards will always be high value, He’s the best of the best.

Posted November 29, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink
Terrell

Jordan=Best Ever. Not surprised someone would spend that much, I am surprised they spent that much now…

Posted November 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink
Richard

Safe investment? No.
At one time the RC was going for about $5K, now you can get it for under $1K.
Greatest player of his generation, but he continues to sign stuff so the price is dropping.
The occasional odd ball card of his will soar, but you can find 1/1 cards of his at relatively
cheap prices compared to what you would have once paid.

Posted November 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Permalink
Dave

Wholy COINS! Love MJ and only wish and DREAM of owning one of his auto’s! Nice! Thanks for the post!
Dave

Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink
steve

TOTALLY AGREE WITH RICHARD !!!!!!! Even though MJ is & was the greatest player (for his time & then the debates would open up on other times too)……he does sign a lot of stuff !! (and from what Ive heard……DEMANDS a high signing figure-(poor guy, hope he can pay his rent or feed his four kids……like the rest of us)…..but, I guess anybody who can find and/or afford his signature, will try and get it.

Posted November 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink
EM

I have an unopened 1991 Michael Jordan Wheaties box with Air Jordan Fight Club Calendar enclosed. It’s still on the plastic and in good condition. I can only find one like it on ebay and they have it up for $1500.00. I went into a local sports memorabilia store and they say its worth $50. Can you help?

Also, I have a Jordan 1986 Fleer Rookie card as well as the entire series and the whole sticker set. Can you tell me what the card itself is worth, as I have 3. One is autographed, but not certified.

Thanks,

EM
sans.regret@yahoo.com

Posted November 30, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink
Chin

The 1997-98 Upper Deck jersey card was the 1st ever jersey card. Add to it the autograph and the 23 card print run. It can get expensive, but $30k is a lot!

Posted November 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink
shea nanos

I have a 2002 U.D. SUPERSTARS Jordan/Woods dual auto and jersey card limited to 25 and I have number 25. Just seeing if anyone has info on this card because it is hard to come by thanks shea

Posted December 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Permalink