First look: 2012 Topps Heritage (with poll)

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps formally unveiled the latest chapter in its annual throwback staple, Topps Heritage, on Friday, assuring us all that when the calendar moves forward to 2012 the throwback calendar will, too.

Just like in 1962, replacing the wood-bordered cards will be a colorful multi-image release with bright fronts, bright cardboard stock and even more colorful card backs than those found on the ’62 design.

Each 24-pack hobby box of Heritage will include one autograph or Relic card when it arrives on March 14.

Read more — and let us know what you think with our poll after the jump.

2012 Topps Heritage: Love it or hate it?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The base set will consist of 500 cards in the classic two-photo design with a mix of subsets, highlights, rookies, managers and more. The final 75 cards in the set are short-prints found one per every three packs. Also back will be the partial parallel Chrome set with 100 cards — also found as Refractors and Black Refractors.

The insert card lineup is largely unchanged with New Age Performers, Then and Now, Baseball Flashbacks and News Flashbacks back once again. Meanwhile new inclusions are Topps Stick-Ons cards like those made in 1963 as well as Stick-On buybacks.

Also back are Real One autographs — this time with 40 players signing cards as they appeared in the 1963 set or new designs if they are active players. Red inks are back, too, along with Flashback autos and cut signatures. Also returning will be Clubhouse Collection auto Relics and Flashback auto Relics.

New for this set will be a JFK Story ’63 Mint Relic — a 50-cent piece card — and a JFK Story Stamp Collection that showcases stamps featuring John F. Kennedy. In the standard set, there will be seven JFK Story Variation cards that note memorable moments in his life. They will replace World Series Highlights cards on the checklist when found.

Among the Real One signers on the preliminary checklist are: Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Jesus Montero, Adrian Gonzalez, Bob Gibson, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax, Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda and 30 more players whose final card appeared in the 1963 set.

Among some of the players set to appear on other signed cards and Relics are: Matt Holliday, Pablo Sandoval, Starlin Castro, Frank Robinson, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Jones, Luis Aparicio and Carl Yastrzemski.

think I might chase heritage instead of the base set next year. like the design.

Posted September 26, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Cool design. What do the back of the cards look like?

Posted September 26, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

Fleer actually stole this design a long time ago in a retro product. I see three cards above and none of them give me the feel of 1963. Its like topps just stuck a template over a picture they had and called it heritage. I have been a big heritage collector since 2001, but topps is slowly bleeding the product dry. What we get presale is great looking autograph checklists, but what we get when the product hits are incredibly long auto odds and disappearing stars. Heritage was the best of the best in 2001, now its autographs of guys 99.9% of us have never heard of. They have also hung long time collectors out to dry by not putting the stars in the chrome set and trying to force collectors to buy lesser products like topps chrome to get those stars….no thanks. I know more than a few long time heritage collectors who have decided not to chase this set anymore, perhaps this year will make me one of them.

Posted September 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink
Phil Schneider

Too bad we can’t have any Pete Rose cards in this set *sigh*

Posted September 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Like the design, but I still don’t know much about the rest of the set to determine whether I like it.

Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink
JonathanI

Even online, those photos look sharp. I like it.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 6:44 am | Permalink
Rob Mazetta

I like the ’63 design overall as its sharp, crisp and colorful. I enjoy the heritage series and this might be the one i will go after all the way.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 8:31 am | Permalink
chrisolds

“Its like topps just stuck a template over a picture they had and called it heritage.”

That’s one of the funniest comments I have seen here in some time. (That’s what Heritage is every year … an old template stuck over a picture.)

Posted September 27, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink
danny

i understand how its a set builders product but so is almost everything else topps puts out.
the time has up to up the autograph odds to 2 per case or even better like someone said who are these some of these guys that sign

Posted September 27, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink
Joe Duplissis

Isn’t that what Heritage is all about?? lol

I really like the look of this set and I look forward to it every year. Thanks for the info and pics Mr. Olds.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Somebody should tell Topps that there is no such thing as a “fasade”

Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink
Jon Chuckery

1963 Topps was already one of my favorite sets…I’m in totally…If you’re a collector and dont want to go after that Mays auto then you have no soul!

Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink
JonathanI

“Fasade” is not a word.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink
chrisolds

I’m confident they’ll fix it … after the first time they heard it.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:37 am | Permalink
Lou

I’ll pass. The design sucks and the coin cards were and will continue to be a terrible idea

Posted September 27, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
Andrew Kaufman

There’s no way Mays’ auto will be that legible

Posted September 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Well, it IS a Photoshopped mock of the card … Mays’ autograph has been rough for years. (Which is why I don’t own — and don’t need — one.)

Posted September 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

No you missed my point Olds. What was truly great about heritage was that topps made the cards look like they were from the 60’s. This “preview” looks like it too topps 3 minutes to do. I remember the days when previews were pictures of the actual cards right before they went into packs, not photoshopped promises that never come to fruition. Beckett doesn’t even know what is in the product months after it hits. There are still many mistakes in beckett of cards that have never existed, or existed in these “preview” shots.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Your point was made — and it wasn’t missed at all. I’d have more fun debating you if you actually used a real name instead of hiding.

Have you seen 1963 Topps cards? Photos are quite clear that year, sir. There’s no altering of photos — severe or slight — needed.

Topps has been using Photoshopped mocks for years.

You can keep taking your shots — doesn’t mean you’re correct at all.

But thanks for stopping by … again.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Permalink
Bruce Katto

This set is formatted after my birth year so I’ve been waiting for this one a while now. My only concern is that I’ve noticed the rookie cards in the Heritage sets getting fewer every year only to be followed by the good RC’s coming out for the National Card Show (i.e., Strasburg last year and Dustin Ackley this year). I too have loved Heritage over the years and really miss the Heritage Football sets. By the way Chris, thanks for what you and the other guys do at Beckett media.

Posted September 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

1963 one of the best topps sets of the 1960,s period,next to the 67 set. hey spankee mantle hit the fasade almost more times than mantle was hung over. to all the collectors stop hating topps they will be here when we will be long dead

Posted September 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

I do like the 1963 design. I do wonder if the coin cards (which I am a big fan, despite what Lou commented) will include actual coins or if they will be the stock cardboard, similar to the early designs, more than likely just cardboard.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 1:41 am | Permalink
MisterT

Chris – You crack me up – I am glad to see that you read these posts.

I agree with your assessment of the 1963 run – clear and colorful. It is one that I like A LOT more than the ’62 wood look. I am looking forward to this one. Re: the Willie auto…I would be happy to have one in my collection. LMK if you pull one and I will forward you my address!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:42 am | Permalink
MisterT

Argh…Got my years screwed up. But you know what I mean!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 8:44 am | Permalink
Bill

Me Likey!!!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:07 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

Have you ever seen 1963 cards Chris? Look at Mantle and Koufax for example. They don’t look anything like the cards above. 63’s have a haze to them and darker in color, maybe some of them are clean and clear but that doesn’t represent the set. The cards above don’t have any old time feel to them, but then again since topps is paying your salary, I would expect you to protect them, but like you will protect them when that Mays autograph doesn’t show up in packs.

Thanks
Kaf

Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink
Shawn Campbell

is topps running out of Mantle GU items ? I don’t really care to collect pieces of the OLD Yankee stadium , if I did I would go to Steiners web site and buy a seat or Brick not drop hundreds of $$$ chasing inserts in sets . I like the coin card, silver is going through the roof just like Gold . I will definitely buy a box or 2

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Keep taking your shots, “Kaf” … Topps doesn’t pay my salary. And there’s no “protecting” going on.

An actual printed card will have some fuzziness to it that a Photoshopped mock will not have because of the screening of the printing process.

Here’s the Koufax: http://promoimg.beckett.com/news/news-content/uploads/2011/09/koufaxlarge.jpg

But thanks for coming back … again!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:38 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Shawn, it’s a matter of what’s most cost-efficient. If a Mantle bat costs $20,000, those pieces need to go a lot further than those from a seat that costs substantially less. Or, for the same price, you can get a LOT more seats for Relics.

And, remember, this is a $3/pack product.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Bruce, that is a product of this being an early season release. I’d be happy if heritage had an update set — but not like when it was tried a couple years ago.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Nathan, the coin Relics have actual coins. They did them this year — and have done in past.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

CMon Chris, we all know that without topps there is no beckett and you don’t have a job. Since Dr. Beckett handed it over your company has always skirted the important issues, but that isn’t the focus here, the focus is why heritage is going down hill?

Maybe we are talking about two different things here, but topps half-hearted mock up here makes me sick. If they want to sell this they should put more than three minutes into presenting it! As far as the lack of effort in the actual product, that is evident in the releases over the past few years. Less and less attention to detail on topps part and lies after lies in the content department, neither of which you have addressed in your reviews. This isn’t just my opinion, but is the opinion of many LONG TIME heritage collectors. Take a look at the style of the 2002 set, just look at the Pujols, the Ichiro and some of the other stars, these cards look old, heck the entire set looks old!

If you want us to take beckett seriously again, then you need to start diving in a little deeper into the products and what collectors want. Heritage, in the past, has been about big name autographs which were on card, and a base set that was true to the original set. The avoidance of putting the stars in the chrome set is also a BIG problem. Cmon Chris, this is the pulse of the hobby, get your head out of the Swisher comic books and report the real news!

Thanks
Kaf

Posted September 28, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink
chrisolds

You sound a lot like some of our favorite trolls. It’s a shame you won’t use your real name — do you not stand behind your opinions?

I think there are a lot of people who will disagree with you. You had your say.

Have you read my reviews? I think not.

Just because you feel a certain way about a certain product’s inclusions or exclusions does not mean it’s how a majority of people feel. I wish some would understand that. Topps’ inclusions — or potential lack of them — are ultimately tied to one thing … its sales.

If Topps’ inclusions — or lack of them — were so offensive, then they would see an impact on the bottom line. In turn, something would be done to “fix” it — meanwhile the formula for Heritage has been quite consistent through the years.

Thanks for coming back … again!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

yeah, play the troll card when I ask the hard questions. Usually when you or topps or UD or Panini get flustered they just start calling me names….troll usually comes up. I wouldn’t expect you to take a stand, I don’t think you ever have, after all why cause trouble in this economy? You are lucky to have a job right?

I do have to wonder why you can’t even acknowledge the issues with heritage and other topps products. Topps is putting out checklists pre sale and then dropping much of the value when the packs arrive. There have been so many screw ups on topps part I don’t even know where to begin. I mean how can you just ignore those?

If you really wanted to make a difference in the hobby for the next generation you could, but you don’t seem like the kind of guy who would make a stand on anything.

Thanks
KAF

Posted September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

You’re not asking any questions. You’re making blanket statements about Beckett and Topps based on things you believe to be correct — and they’re not.

If it were just about your stance on the Heritage cards, you wouldn’t have brought anything else up.

But thanks for coming back … again!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

The chrome checklist in heritage sucks with no stars in it…CORRECT
Topps pulls key autograph cards out of heritage every year..CORRECT
Beckett still lists (and prices) heritage cards that don’t exist…CORRECT

what is so hard about that?

Posted September 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Gotta ask … what is so hard about using your real name?

Ok, so now you’re just unhappy with the Chrome checklist? Some people don’t even want a Chrome set in Heritage. “Sucks” is subjective — and it’s not a story to me. People will like, people will hate, a checklist. I see Joe Mauer, CC Sabathia, Jose Bautista, Don Mattingly, Babe Ruth, Pedroia & Ortiz, Josh Hamilton, Cliff Lee, Ryan Braun, Jacoby Ellsbury, etc., on the checklist. It certainly could be worse.

Do you understand how “preliminary checklist subject to change” works — and why changes happen? It’s often on the athletes — who can’t sign to meet deadlines or don’t think that autos are a priority. That’s for any company. Changes obviously can happen for other reasons, too — and changes nearly always happen no matter the product — or the company.

If there’s a card on a checklist that does not exist — or you believe it doesn’t — send an email to the baseball analyst, Brian Fleischer, at bfleischer@beckett.com and it will be checked. He can search the database and tell you if a sale of a card has been documented quite easily.

However, I can say that the checklists that are input are not prelims. And, historically, Topps has been much better about providing accurate final checklists than other companies.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink
john paul

I LOVE Heritage! As far as i’m concerned, they get better every year! Who cares about the subsets, anyway? They have to try different things. That’s how cool ideas are achieved. I do sometimes find the choice in SP’s annoying. For example, the coach cards from a couple sets back, and the need to put team checklists and common players in the SP checklist. But who cares?! Heritage is the coolest set Topps produces. I love the look, feel, and even the SMELL of ‘em. Takes me right back to my childhood. And really, isn’t that the whole idea, people? People like this nameless twit, they just make hard-core, honest collectors like us (including Mr. Chris Olds) look bad. Bad for the hobby, dude! Sounds like he’s just ticked off that he’s still living in his parent’s basement. Keep up the good work, Beckett, and long live Topps Heritage, baseball, and baseball card collecting!!! Can I get an Amen???

Posted September 29, 2011 at 7:14 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

Man Chris, you really are in topps @#* kissing mode. Why should I be happy with a heritage chrome checklist that doesn’t include Jeter, Pujols, Ichiro, and Ryan Howard? Ortiz…LOL yeah ok.

Most collectors are idiots, willing to pay 5 dollars for a pack of base cards and then ask for more. Topps knows this and since no on ever brings up the short comings of the products then they keep watering it down. They are getting to the point where they are putting cards on the front of the box that aren’t even in the product! Who has the balls to question this? Not beckett.

…and I am so sick of the tired excuse that the athlete had problems signing. The athlete isn’t selling the product here, topps is. They are promising big time cards and then changing it to garbage. This isn’t fair to hobby store nor to people who buy presale, but once again beckett is silent on this, more willing to show videos of retail blaster rips, than try to change the hobby for the better.

Seems to be plenty of guys here ready to trash me, but why not turn that anger around and try to improve the hobby? Redemption’s are STILL a big problem. What makes it into the final product is STILL a problem. Pack searching is STILL a problem. Why not push to improve this instead of just sitting here and killing the messenger?

I guarantee anyone here that I am as big a heritage collectors as anyone. These are real concerns! How about a fix? 2001 or even 2003 wasn’t that long ago! What is wrong in demanding more for our money? After all this isn’t the best economy for baseball cards.

Posted September 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Card companies are well aware of the concerns you raise. It’s not the first time that they have heard them.

Posted September 29, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

i’m pretty sure facade is how fasade is spelled. having said that, i’ll be happy with a uer of the seat.

Posted September 30, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

LOL

Like I said, this took topps 3 minutes to put together. I guess their template program doesn’t have spell check?

Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm | Permalink
sdkjf sdlkfjsdfk

Kaf,
Glad you got that out of your system. You should consider finding a hobby!

No one is forcing you to buy this product. Consider saving your money instead.
We all hope you are done.
Cheers,

dfklja;lfj;dkj

P.S. Do you see how ridiculous it looks to use “lkjdfa;lkj;ldkjfsal” as a name?

Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

I especially like the quarter idea, that has never been done before. Topps is reading this and laughing at you all. Cha Ching

Kaf

Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

The ’63 Design looks Great. Not Really Digging The Relic Cards, But Then Again, Who Collects Heritage For The Relics. Right? Haven’t Really Seen Enough To Say Either Way, But So Far, So Good…

Posted October 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink
Curtis Seidle

Not a fan, waiting for the 1971 heritage set

Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I didn’t like 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011 Heritage. I tried them all, but I just ended up deciding I didn’t like the faux-vintage designs. Heritage is a crappy product for my money, and I doubt I’ll buy any of it in 2012.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Permalink
Kevin

That Sandoval relic card is epic.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink
Dan C.

Thanks to Kaf and Chris for keeping me entertained for 10 minutes! Chris kept knocking Kaf down but Kaf kept getting back on his feet, usually to get a couple jabs in, one or two below the belt and a headbutt, and Chris finally wins by decision in the 12th round!

“Usually when you or topps or UD or Panini get flustered they just start calling me names….troll usually comes up.”

Kaf I think that says it all. If Topps, UD, Panini, and Chris Olds all start calling you names, the problem clearly isn’t them…

“Most collectors are idiots”

You’ve proved your point.

Hey maybe Topps could make this year’s Heritage better by adding print spots and cutting them off-center. You know, like the good old days before Topps had problems. And they can get rid of relics and autographs altogether, just a base set, for .50 a pack. Actually I heard Topps is adding special Troll cards into the set. And Chris Olds, Topps employee of the month gets his own card that when placed next to the Troll card appears as if they are holding hands.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

Personally I don’t have the dough to crack a case or even a couple boxes to assert the odds of hitting a HOF auto/ But you can bet Topps is betting on a lot of big time buyers to buy those cases.(heritage)
Kaf Does represent a lot of those who feel Topps has watered down their products namely Heritage.My Beef Chris and everyone else why is it we accept 1 relic or AUTO PER bOX AND BUY this stuff at a c-note cost which is usually a relick TINY JERSEY-CRAP/bat relic of mid level players.. Listen Heritage looks the same always and it still has the Topper and the throwback topper -stamped .Unless those in the Know like Beckett like Hobby shopps start holding them accountable nothing will change -remeber Exclusive means less. Take a look at Lineage how many of those cOMMON AUTO’s did we see (watered down) I mean that cetainly tells us there is a problem. HEY Chris you know of Topps problems only more Companys with MBL liscence can change things —-just saying I do appreciate the info Chris great dialogue thats what counts

Posted October 14, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Dan C. … hoping some of that is sarcasm. But if that’s what it takes to get me on a Topps card …

Posted October 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Tom … I don’t buy Heritage unless it’s in the ballpark of what its suggested retail price is. The longer odds is also why I buy at retail, anyway — not buying for the hits and price never goes up for unapparent reasons at retail, either.

However, the “too few hits” argument could have been made for some time now — not just during the duration of the MLB exclusive. Heritage has few hits because it simply doesn’t need them to sell — it sells well with just the one.

It’s a collector’s product — not one to rip and chase hits.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I think topps has really dropped the ball when it comes to autograph & memorabilia cards. I think it’s absolutely rediculas having to pay 5,6,7, even ten bucks a pack at times only to pull an autograph of some guy that eventually will be nothing more than a career minor leaguer or out of the game! Auto cards should only be limited to hot rookies, stars and top veteran players. I for one am getting tired of pulling an autograph or jersey card with a very low production number only to find that the player on it is someone ive never heard of! leaving the card value at 10 bucks! I buy for investment. And investing $75 on five packs only to walk away with $20 worth of cards is simply a bad investment. I may just stop buying topps alltogether if they don’t start putting good players on good cards! ( an example: 2011 topps update. I pulled an allstar jumbo jersey patch card numbered 9/9. the player? jonny venters. who the hell is jonny venters?

Posted October 14, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Tim, the suggested retail price for the product isn’t bad. It’s not supposed to be anywhere near 5-10 a pack … it’s higher because the dealer had to pay more for boxes because of demand — or is not getting a good deal via their distributor or other area. Sounds like you need to shop around.

Popular Topps lines’ wax can escalate pretty easily — and it’s easy for prices to not be worth it when the secondary market latches hold.

Again, this is why I bought a lot of Heritage at $2.99 at retail … it ain’t going up there.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink
Shaun

Would love to see a Rose reprint #1 with the ’64 card’s picture, rookie as the 2nd picture! Just got back into collecting cards again – quit in the late 80’s, early 90s’. This set looks good – the ’63 Topps BB set is a classic. However, the fact that Topps has exclusive MLB trademark rights is not right. Upper Deck consistently put out a much better product from what I’ve seen and purchased. I guess UD did not have the money to bribe MLB. The whole situation, although a different market, is much like DirecTV has kept cable TV subscribers from being able to purchase the NFL package. I think the lack of competition in baseball cards will again bring about a mediocre product.

Posted October 15, 2011 at 1:57 am | Permalink
Dan C.

Yes Chris the last paragraph certainly was sarcasm…but who knows, it could happen! Some people aren’t getting the point of Heritage. Clearly it’s never been about the hits, its popular with set builders. I love the look of Heritage and I’d love to build the set, but I don’t spend enough on cards to do so. But I do buy a few packs of it just to have some. My LCS has been reasonable with Heritage prices, so I’ve bought them there, as I always try to support my LCS, but sometimes I agree Chris, retail is considerably cheaper. The hanger packs of Heritage were a good deal. Bowman Platinum was the one for me, where my LCS charged 5.25 per pack and I bought 6 hangers for 10 apiece with the bonus purple refractors and pulled 3 autos. But most products I stay away from at retail, not only to support my LCS but because of pack searchers…Don’t have to worry about that with Heritage, though. Hey Chris, why do you buy packs anyways, you work for Topps, can’t you get all your cards for free? BTW hoping you do a box buster of Finest so I can open vicariously through you.

Posted October 15, 2011 at 10:22 am | Permalink
steve emerick

Here is a simple fact from a collector of 43 years!

It is what it is. If you don’t like it don’t buy it. MLB created this monster with its exclusitivity and you can deal with it or shut up!

If you want to flip, buy some high end and flip yourself out of cash! If you want to collect, Then buy the darn product and collect!

I believe that succinctly answers all concerns and questions.

Thank you Topps for showing off your product, it is exactly what we have come to expect from you without competition!

Chris thanks for actually taking a stand!

Posted October 15, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink
Patrick McCollough

Hey Chris, do you know how much longer this Topps exclusive is going to last? I would like to see Panini put out a Donruss and Studio product since Donruss has always been my favorite brand. I would also like to see Upperdeck again. Exclusives suck! I would rather see all companies make cards with some strict egulations on the number of sets put out.Two ultra premium, three premium, and three base sets maximum sounds like an excellent idea to me.

Posted October 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Shaun: Pete Rose, because of his ban from baseball, can’t appear on any MLB-licensed product. He hasn’t had an official MLB card since 1989. Other cards he has appeared on did not have MLB Properties approval.

Posted October 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Patrick, the deal with MLB Properties is a multi-year affair with time to go. Topps will be in its third year of the deal in 2012.

Posted October 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
Mike

I think one of the draws with Heritage,at least recently,is the chance at those off the wall “error” cards Topps throws in.I’m not a fan of them,or the tints for that matter.However it sells and Topps knows it.Whether or not it’s value for the money,that’s personal opinion.Collectors buy it to collect it.It’s not really a “flipper’s” product anyways.

I do agree that it would be cool if Rose could be included.(Thanks Bud for that one,but I won’t get into my spiel over that) One question I do have Chris;How is it possible for Shoeless Joe to have MLB cards,in Sweet Spot a few years ago I believe,when he carries the same ban?

Posted October 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
Steve

I always like multiple picture sports cards – more bang for the buck.
Was wondering if these are going to be on-card autos or stickers or a combo. Anyone heard?

Posted October 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink
Shawn

Pulled 2 ROA’s out of retail, love this product. Got a Hank Aaron auto, best retail pull ever for me.

Lol @ Beckett for responding to every post made by alkjfslakjfsa dude.

Posted October 17, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink
Kyle

What an interesting thread!!!!

I for one love the design and the Heritage sets. As someone who collects as well as sells Heritage has always been a great product for me both in collectability and profit. The SP’s and variations are always an easy sell, and the relics/autos are great.

While Topps has put out some questionable products this is not one of them. My hats off to Topps on this one.

Also, Chris – everything you added was very well said. Nice Job and keep up the good work

Posted October 17, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Permalink
Ben

Hey, look … it’s 2001 Upper Deck Vintage!

Ugh ….

Posted October 18, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

cant wait to see those up close..the cards look a lot better then the originals,I think!And hopefully i get to pull that sweet Mickey Mantle relic,that would make my day great!!!

Posted November 14, 2011 at 1:30 am | Permalink
Bret in SoCal

I gotta say that I really dig the Heritage sets. But for selfish reasons. It’s the World Series and Playoff cards that I am really into collecting. So with the “hit or miss” releases over the years since Topps backed away from these subsets starting in the late 70’s early 80’s, the Heritage product obviously has the World Series sets that were released in throughout the 60’s (excepting 1965 WS). Looking forward to the release.

Posted November 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
Jim Phillips

Beautiful cards cannot wait until March when my dealer will have them in. The Topps Heritage hockey was always great stuff and the baseball will be too!

Posted January 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Permalink
Daniel Ward

I love the “new” heritage set for 2012.I cannot wait for the 1965 Heritage set to come out as this is my all-time favorite Topps set.I kinda wish they would make them high gloss like the new sets but I’m still stoked for the heritage idea.Theres just too many new sets to try to keep up.

Posted February 17, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink
Jon Ramirez

i liked 1962 design better

Posted February 26, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

3 Trackbacks

1. By 2012 Heritage baseball - Blowout Cards Forums on September 27, 2011 at 5:00 am

[...] First look (teaser & poll): 2012 Topps Heritage | awesome !!!! [...]

2. [...] is a poll embedded within this post, please visit the site to participate in this post's poll. First look (teaser & poll): 2012 Topps Heritage | __________________ Shop for Sports Cards and Trading [...]

3. [...] Starlin Castro, Frank Robinson, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Jones, Luis Aparicio and Carl Yastrzemski. First look: 2012 Topps Heritage (with poll) | __________________ Shop for Sports Cards and Trading [...]