First impressions: 2012 Topps Marquee baseball cards

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Topps has teased what its Topps Marquee baseball set will look like next year by releasing a few mocked up card images for the second edition of the high-end line coming in 2012.

While we’re still letting this year’s version sink in, it looks like they might be a winner — but we want to know what you think. Tell us in a comment or on our poll. You also can see additional images after the jump.

Love it or hate it: 2012 Topps Marquee

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Matt Traylor

Looks like a classy set…sorta like SP Legendary Cuts, but better.

Posted October 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Permalink
Matthew Meyer

This set looks great, just like last years. What will determine it’s success or failure (like 2011′s) is the lineup of players in the set. I love opening a box with four hits of Angel Pagan, Brett Anderson, Drew Stubbs, and Jay Bruce; so Marquee!

Posted October 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink
john paul

looks good. i like this new brand, i also like the platinum brand from bowman. kudos to topps for the new and innovative styles. this collector says about time! definatley a breath of fresh air after the lineage disaster!

Posted October 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink
JC

Yeah, the “?tease” looked good this year too. Then they released the product and it was possibly the worst product of the year. I don’t remember the last time I was so utterly disappointed by a product. But then Topps went and released “Gridiron Legends” for football just to give themselves some competition on the disappointment front. Topps is on an INCREDIBLE losing streak. I hoped Marquee was going to be a one and done, but it looks like they are going to release that pile of crap again next year….

Posted October 22, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink
chris

THATS pretty bad ass! I say. Is the set out yet?

Posted October 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink
Leslie Westbrook

Those look really good. If those autos end up being on-card, then they look great!

Posted October 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
Michael Marrufo

I like it and I would love to get the nolan ryan auto he was my favorite player as a kid

Posted October 22, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
Mike

Ten boxes opened of this yrs and the best card was a $90 bell auto!
second best was a $35 belt au.
Thats $2000 srp worth of packs.

There were plenty of jeff francis, jeffress and pagan gu or autos to circle the world with though.

G..a…r…b…a…g…e in every way shape and form.

Posted October 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Frames within frames. Looks like a spin off of tier 1. Will wait and see more

Posted October 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Permalink
Jeff Fisher

really sharp base set design. will be good for getting autographs on.

Posted October 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink
danny

no images of drew stubbs and jeremy jeffries?

Posted October 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
danny

oh and the bases looks like legendary cut (2008 i think) with a white backround instead of black

Posted October 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink
Larry

The cards look very classy and have great eye appeal. Very nicely done Topps.

Posted October 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Permalink
Andrew Kaufman

I’d rather they focus on getting some of the old time baseball players back into Allen & Ginter (eg 2006, 2008 edition)

Posted October 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink
Dan C.

This product looks awesome…but so did 2011 Marquee. There are some amazing cards, but way too many redemptions, seems like nearly all the dual autos were redemptions and way way too many cheap hits. Of course all high end stuff is hit and miss but this one seemed to miss more. Way too many boxes opened with 3 $5 hits and 1 $15 hit. There are lots of sweet cards in the product, but seems like not enough to go around. Hopefully Topps can at least do better with the redemptions. Also, that Nolan Ryan Monumental Markings doesn’t look as beautiful as this year’s did. And Topps: 4 grey jersey swatches is not a quad relic.

Posted October 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink
Robert Braxton

I have to admit, those are some IMPRESSIVE! cards!

Posted October 23, 2011 at 1:14 am | Permalink
David

Looks a little bit like an Upper deck product (a piece of history, SP legendary cuts, etc.) but it looks like a cool set but probably out of my price range to collect (like about half of the baseball product out there.)

Wish Topps knew the economy is struggling and price packs/boxes where the average middle class worker could afford to buy some of the higher end stuff.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink
Lou

Not trying to be disrespectful to 2 of the All-Time Greats but the Aaron and Mays Auto looks atrocious. My grandmother had 2 major strokes and her writing is better than that.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink
actual collector

i wish they would show what most people will actually bet, more 6 boxes from the 2011 were horrible, not a card over 15 dollars book price!!!!! They do look nice though

Posted October 23, 2011 at 8:22 am | Permalink
Fabio

I like this clean style, and I hope the Jeter patch is what they’ll deliver when the product comes out. The so called “titanic threads” have been a total disappointment, considering they should have been the real hit of the product.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink
Mike

As long as there aren’t any sticker autos, I’m on board. Problem is, I know the reality of these things. Maybe they should produce the cards far enough in advance that they can get all the autos on-card. Stickers make the product so impersonal. Collector’s love the feeling of pulling an auto from their favorite players and knowing that at one point the player had the card in their hands and carefully signed (carefully used loosely) that EXACT card….just sayin’.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 9:57 am | Permalink

After the perceived disaster of this year’s marquee, next year’s better be amazing. The aaron/mays is probably a 1/1 that will be inserted as a redemption – that will never be produced – and replaced with a few leftover Carlos Marmol jerseys and Tyson Ross autos.

By the way, did they state the odds of pulling a Tyson Ross or Jose Tabata in the 2012 Marquee? Because I don’t think I had a single case without multiples of these cards.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink
CUJO

Aaron + Mays autos = Niiiiice.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink
Rich & Dangerous

if the product has hard signed signatures – A+ ..i will certainly be after the aaron/mays dual auto

if the product has stickers – D- ..i’ll probably but a box or two

Posted October 23, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Guys … high-end products can’t have a Hank Aaron autograph in every pack.

Why? His fee to sign one autograph costs Topps more than the pack does.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 11:18 am | Permalink
Lou

I don’t think anyone expects an Aaron Auto in every pack. It would be nice if we weren’t bombarded with Marlon Byrd and Andrew Cashner Autos though.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
danny

is topps going to sue upper deck, for upper decks use of this design back in 2008
yes i said it topps sues everyone

Posted October 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
Nick Tegeler

I agree with some posts on here. I understand and do not expect for there to be a Aaron auto in every pack. I would not want one in every pack either because it cause his auto to go down in value as well. But my argument with high end products has always been that they should not put the same guaranteed quality gu and autos that you could get from Wal-Mart’s boxes. Thats not to mention all of the retired and current players autos that are good and are not always expensive that do not end up in these products. A lot of those guys do not charge an arm and a leg to sign either. Guys like Ian Kinsler (current) or legends like Gary Carter or Jim Rice. I would rather even get their $15-$20 autos than Marlon Byrd. That way even if the price you paid doesn’t match the card value, at least you feel a little less ripped off.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
steve

now that the companies have utilized the “hand signed” auto’s……how about using other parts-like TOES & FEET ????

What did I miss this year, and that could be followed with “lots of stuff”, on the perceived scarcity on this years topps marquee ?
Id think that “rare” would be…..50,000 cases

finally……I know the 2012 card season is just around the corner…..but Id say at least Topps has wrote the rest of 2011 card products off ?? guess when you have all that pre-ordered stuff….who cares about whats been paid for this year, and start cramming down our throats the overproduced next years items

Posted October 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Steve, the production and ordering window is always well in advance … on everything. They’re not going to wait until the 2011 stuff is out to start working on 2012 … it’s always continuous.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

Yep I agree with the vast majority here, if I am paying 20-30$ for a 5-7 pack mini box, I would expect at least a decent card out of 5 mini boxes. I know every time I buy a pack/box of anything upper-end I get the same priced GU or Auto if I had bought a walmart box.
I do like the way this set looks, but chasing a complete set at 20-30$ a mini box is impractical.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink
kevin

I love that ryan auto but why buy boxes any more you just get ripped off. I want to see some of those warehouse 13 packs idea in sports. just hits none of this base card crap not to mention redemptions that you always have to fight to get. I still have 5 redemptions from 2 years ago I still havent got and calling them doesnt work any more. Ill just stick to buying singles from the dumb asses that buy these boxes and put the singles up for auction on ebay.

Posted October 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink
Daniel

Topps should make the names of the players stick out a bit better. That would not only perfect the very nice base design, but it would sharpen up the way the hits look as well. Perhaps if there is such a revision, I might actually go for a high-end baseball card product.. finally!

Posted October 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink
john paul

i bought a few and saw a ton of marquee product this year, and i must say i disagree with anyone who says the relic and auto cards were disappointing. some of the relics were just grey swatches, yes, but i thought it extremely innovative and game changing to pepper the same print run with some really neat patches. if your just busting boxes, this can be a bit of a gamble, but we already knew that, right? it’s sweet to be able to browse the Bay and pick up a Tabata jerst swatch with a piece of the Majestic logo in one of the relic windows for under ten bucks. much better than this years platinum relics that all said “patch” on the back even when they clearly were just plain old grey or white pants swatches! So although Topps can screw up from time to time, i think this product is definately worth a sequal. As i’ve said before, it may take a few strikes and fouls to finally hit that home run!

Posted October 24, 2011 at 6:15 am | Permalink
Ross

Not a fan of the designs at all. Like others have said, looks like Upper Deck could make a case for some design theft. This year’s base cards were really nice with the full-bleed photos. These look way too cluttered and not all that exciting.

I can’t speak for to all the issues about hit quality or whatever, but it seems like every release is met by incessant whining so nothing unexpected here.

Posted October 24, 2011 at 7:46 am | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

Did Topps do it again? Put the numbering of a card next to a players lower regions? Or was that UD that did that on the Randy Johnson card? lol. I think card companies should keep all numbering on the back of the card, and preferably in the same upper corner so they don’t seem so misplaced. :)

Posted October 24, 2011 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Meh. More high-end product I cannot afford. Glad to see Topps is still trying to extract every penny possible out of existing collectors rather than trying to find a way to get the next generation of collectors into the hobby.

Posted October 24, 2011 at 11:00 am | Permalink
Jon Chuckery

Marquee is a fun product to open…granted there are lots of M Byrd, J Tabata, D Storen pieces going around but it makes the bigger hits even more rewarding. Marquee is designed or produced with value in mind…its for the collector who like their risk/reward ratio on a higher level…My only fear is by adding Mays (and I thought Topps had Clemente back, too) that the product may go up in price…hopefully not b/c you risk alienating even more collectors if you put it out of reach

Posted October 24, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink
Jon Chuckery

sorry…should be NOT designed or produced with value in mind

Posted October 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink
Mike

How many “titanic threads patches” of drew stubbs featuringa piece of wood from a seat used at shea stadium will they mess up on?

Posted October 25, 2011 at 6:08 am | Permalink

I am not sure where you’re getting your information, however excellent subject. I has to take the time learning more or understanding much more. Thank you for good info I wanted this information for my mission.

Posted November 4, 2011 at 4:20 am | Permalink
Darin Nakamoto

Man, I’m not ever buying anything named Marquee again from Topps. This years was too much of a disappointment.

Posted November 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

One Trackback

1. By 2012 marqueee - Blowout Cards Forums on October 22, 2011 at 11:08 pm

[...] marqueee First impressions: 2012 Topps Marquee baseball cards | already ? wow there being super qucik with the sell sheets. we also already seen topps and [...]