Box Busters: 2011 Topps Triple Threads baseball cards

Join Beckett Baseball’s Chris Olds and Brian Fleischer as they rip into a pair of 2011 Topps Triple Threads boxes in this latest edition of Box Busters.

What will they find inside? Watch and find out …

James

I enjoy vicariously opening packs I can’t afford with you guys.

Posted October 11, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

I’m wondering if the price point of these cards is worth actually buying this product. I know that for the most part that if you sell the cards that you pull, unless you pull something extraordinary, you will never make back the money you spent for the pack. Lately, seems like this has been more the norm than the exception for these high-end products. I guess that the chance you take when buying this product.

Posted October 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink
Blake

I agree buying the singles is the way to go. I got a Red Sox triple jersery card on eBay (Crawford, Gonzalez, Pedroia,) for $20. I can’t justify spending $200 on a box you get 1/2 of the value of. I think $20 is pretty average price for many of the singles of this product.

That isnt to say I dont understand why Topps is charging that much. They are a business.

Posted October 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

One base cards should be much lower than 1500 / base should be 500-700.
Also I agree redemptions should be rare and only for something that just couldn’t be packed out
like a 6 auto card or something. Also I don’t get the numbering like the Henderson jersey card numbered 5/9 gold. Tell me what is the deal with that it looks like any other single “swatch” card. If Topps really understood that card should’ve been a real patch card just numbering 5/9 has no significance to the card itself. It’s nice that a lilttle more has been added but a little more attention to detail would be nice. Thanks Chris ,Brian always apprecated
Tom

Posted October 12, 2011 at 8:13 am | Permalink
Lou

Yawn. Who buys this crap?

Posted October 12, 2011 at 9:20 am | Permalink
chrisolds

All those super-pricey autographs and memorabilia swatches (old guys, jumbo pieces) were paid for by Topps and are in the product — raising its cost of making the product.

What you are paying for with a pack is the CHANCE of finding something in there like those big cards — some of you do get one, many of us don’t.

Unfortunately, because of the softening of the secondary market compared to past years, the divide between what’s good and what’s low-end continues to grow.

The difference is that those jerseys ain’t getting any cheaper to procure by card companies, either, so when jumbo patches are used those jerseys don’t last as long as they should, too.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink
Kaf adfafsf

Once again the difference of a review where the reviewer buys his own packs versus gets them for free. Anyone spending 400 dollars on that would of be very ticked. Are you kidding me guys? Two redemptions, garbage ones at that, and two common autographs with no patches and you still can’t hammer the product?

Like I said, topps probably wouldn’t send you free products if you hammered them. I will give you credit you can sit there with poker faces on when you know the product is a joke.

Kaf

Posted October 12, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink
Kevin

I like that they added a second hit per pack. I am not a big fan of Triple thread, I just don’t care for the spelling things out windows. I am not offended by it’s existence or anything, I am just not a fan.

Even though I don’t care for the standard cards I have to give it up to Topps on some of the bigger hits. Some of the jumbo patches out of this stuff are beautiful.

That Rickey was pretty sweet, I love him in the As uni, that is the true Rickey in my book.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink
Reid

Chris is exactly right. I’m tired of hearing people complain about not getting big hits or not getting back in card value the price they paid for a box/pack. I treat buying boxes or packs like playing the lottery, sometimes you hit the big pay day but most of the time you don’t. Atleast you have something at the end of the day when you buy cards.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Rickey loves Rickey but Rickey knows Olds loves Rickey most when Rickey is loved by Topps in an A’s uni.

Why?

Rickey loves Rickey and loves when Olds loves Rickey — but Rickey knows Rickey only gets love from Olds when Rickey in an A’s uni. (Maybe that’s one reason why Rickey loves when Topps loves Rickey in an A’s uni.)

Why does Olds know all of this? Rickey said so.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:11 am | Permalink
Kevin

Kaf, you aren’t talking about a review of cards, you are tarking about return on investment. Cards are not the best place to put your investment dollars.

A review of cards that looks at the design, player selection, execution, etc… is a true review. Adding up the dollar ammount isn’t.

If you are looking to make a buck try buying gold, or better yet copper, it’s on the move right now.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink
Kevin

Kaf, on the free products for reviews

Several manufacturers give away free products for reviews to bloggers and the like. What the reviewer says isn’t their main concern. They want pictures and images of the cards out there.
They know if someone likes what they see they will more than likely buy it no matter what the reviewer says. Their main goal is to make sure more people see the cards.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink
josh

I would be very disappointed if i had paid 200 dollars for the autos that you guys pulled in this pack. for 200 (if i could afford it anyway) i want huge names.
Also, George Sisler was a hell of a player. It was his record for hits in a season that Ichiro broke years ago after around 75 years. There are guys that dont belong in the hall that are there, but don’t downgrade george without doing the necessary research. Saw you guys doing the same with Red Schoendienst a couple weeks ago. I want your opinions on baseball cards. Not the players

Posted October 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
P.J.

I agree with the comments above and probably below, whoever buys this stuff and breaks cases has tons of money to spare. We should just be happy that there’s people that rich and dumb, so that we can buy all there hits on the bay for way less then what they paid for. That being said, those patches out of 10 and the booklets out of 3 as well as the 1/1 hits are the best cards I’ve seen in the hobby, got to hand it to Topps for the amazing designs with the sweet spot logo patches.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
Mike

This product would work oh so much better if prospects were allowed in it.

Instead of tired old vets no one collects or values (wells perfect example), would be a ton nicer to get a hi end premium auto gu of harper, banuelos, profar etc. aka, something of value…..just don’t rely on pros for all the autos like bow ster.

Posted October 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm | Permalink
josh

I know who Joe Morgan is. He was a heck of a player, but I’m just saying that I can buy a baseball signed by Morgan with a COA from a legitimate company for significantly less than that.

Posted October 13, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink
chrisolds

You were praising Sisler — a Hall of Famer who I don’t think is all that exciting on cards.

Morgan is a Hall of Famer who isn’t exciting on cards.

See the parallel?

Posted October 13, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink
corey johnson

Wow my dad just got a book card (it opens up) it is a relic double combo (2 jerseys from each player) and it is Jim Palmer, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford

02/18 pretty cool card.

Posted October 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink
josh

The key word there is that YOU don’t think he is exciting. As a baseball fan and St. Louisan I find Sisler, a legend in my town to be pretty exciting. Sisler has also been on a fraction of the cards that Morgan has been on. I’d take a sisler card any day.

Posted October 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
Jon Chuckery

Pretty lousy boxes overall…I always like how people try to compare box results to the lottery…A lottery ticket guarantees you NOTHING…However, a Triple Threads box DOES guarantee certain things. TriThrds was held back SPECIFICALLY so a 2nd GUARANTEED “hit” could be added…see the difference btwn marketing tools? If a card maker put out boxes of cards that guaranteed you nothing (no “hits”, no parallels, etc), but did say there are random autos/gu or low ser #d out there…would that product sell well? Am I to believe Topps put how many guaranteed hits are in their box products (oh yeah and warrantee the results) b/c they need to fill space on the box? If I spend 400 bucks on something that guarantees me some results, getting 20-25% in trade/sell value doesnt make it a warm, fuzzy, pleasing experience…unless money is no object to you?

Posted November 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Permalink