Winner or loser Poll: 2011 Topps Chrome Sepias

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

When I heard about these cards, I liked the idea.

When I saw these cards — particularly the autographed ones — I liked them even more.

And I bet they’ll look even better in-person.

What are they? The new Sepia Refractors in 2011 Topps Chrome — a new creation for this year that just might have some potential staying power.

What do you think about these cards? Am I off my rocker?

Are they a winner? Or are they a loser?

Tell us in a comment below … or take the poll.

Winner or loser: 2011 Topps Chrome Sepia Refractors

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Yuck. Just what we didn’t need — more refractors. I wish Topps would expend as much energy into improving their product as they do into creating multiple versions of the same effing card. Sadly, MLB probably won’t stop.

Posted September 8, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I like the Sepia refractors… I’ve only pulled one so far, but it looks good.

Posted September 8, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

I like the look, but I agree that there are already too many versions of cards out there. But, if they’re going to do it, can they add a black and white one? :) Not a black refractor, but where the picture is black and white. Just asking. lol.

Posted September 8, 2011 at 10:35 am | Permalink
Darin Amundson

Chris, you are off your rocker, just not about these Sepia cards. :-) (See Steve Swisher diamond giveaway post) J\k

It is getting a little out of hand all the different colored refractors, but I do like the look of these, so what the heck. One thing I don’t love is Xfractors, and the new Atomic refractors, some love them, but i just think they are too darn busy. (Although if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the new Atomics, over the old Xfractors)

Posted September 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink
Mike

Never enough refractors.
Btw, not the first time there have been “brown” like refractors.
Look at 08 bowman chrome when some genius at topps made the gold refractors look brown.

Posted September 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink
Andre

I like them! Funny how people always comment about how Topps should put more time into improving their products… yet when they try something new (which of course means they are testing the waters for product improvements – duh!) it’s never good enough.

I’m not a huge Topps fan, but ….just a quick note on the quality and value of the 2011 Topps Chrome product… WAYYYY better than last years. Resale value is up and the chroming and cardstock quality is 100% better with almost no bending… I did see some people complain in some of the forums that the centering on some of the cards are way off, but I’ve busted 4 boxes this far (from 2 different cases at 2 different LCS) and the centering looked fine.

Way to step it up Topps! This is a step in the right direction. Keep it up! I’m off to buy some more product! ;)

Posted September 9, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink
MattinglyAlexander

Fugly.

Posted September 9, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink
Ben

Sepia tone + extra shiny doesn’t make any kind of sense.

Posted September 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
danny

WHATS NEXT – in between color refractors – half blue refractor and half gold numbered out of 75

or hald gold and half orange numbered out of 33.33333 or half red and super numbered out of 2.5

Posted September 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

At the end of the day, it’s just another parallel.

Posted September 10, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

It might be just another parallel, but the card Chris has showing (i.e. Craig Kimbrel) is what draws this Atlanta Braves Fan’s attention. I also really like the sepia tone, mainly because it seems more picturesque.
As a side note, I also agree that x-factors are crap and that last years chrome card stock was crap.
I am looking forward to buying some of this product.

Posted September 13, 2011 at 2:19 am | Permalink
Nick Tegeler

I think Topps should just go ahead and put out two new products called Topps Refractors and Topps Chrome Refractors by themselves and insert a free bag of skittles with every box as one of your hits…they could even have the newest, hottest rookie sign the bag of candy. or they could call it the Topps Willie Wonka Rookies and Draft Picks. I mean why not? They basically repeat regular Topps and Bowman with this repetitive bs. And I agree that there are too many refractors. I would like it better if there were maybe like one or two (no more than three).

Posted September 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink
The Big Stink

I for one like the many refractor variations, it makes it a challenge to put together my team rainbow.

Posted September 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink