Dominion vs. The Cup: Comment to win

By Andrew Tolentino | Hockey Editor

Some contests are bigger than others. This one, for instance, is big — very big.

At this point, both highest-of-high-end 2010-11 hockey products (Panini’s Dominion and Upper Deck’s The Cup) are now on shelves. But the two P.K. Subban cards seen in the poster and below aren’t. After landing the stunning Subbans in respective boxes of each premium product, we decided to dream up this opinion-based opportunity for two lucky collectors.

The rules are simple:

• Using the poll below, click to vote either “2010-11 Dominion” or “2010-11 The Cup”
  • Comment on this postwith:
    • Your name
    • Your e-mail address
    • The brand you voted for
    • A sentence or two, explaining why you chose one brand over the other

Additional entries and comments that lack any of these components will not be considered in the contest. Based on stated preferences, one person will be selected at random to win the Subban card from 2010-11 Dominion and one person will be selected at random to win his card from 2010-11 The Cup.

Now that both products are live on the market, each brand is garnering attention and opinion online and elsewhere in the hobby. That being said, here are a few talking points …

2010-11 The Cup Honorable Numbers P.K. Subban (#'d 69 of 76)

2010-11 Dominion Rookie Signature Patch P.K. Subban (#'d 19 of 25)

Dominion vs. The Cup: Which is the better high-end hockey brand?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Chuck Nygren

I prefer The Cup over Dominion. The Cup just seems to have step up on the quality of the cards, former player autos and sick patches, although I have seen some pretty cool patches in Dominion, there seem to be more one color patches. Dominion’s price point is about a hundred bucks too high.

Funny example of a “quality” Dominion card – My Benchmark Marcel Dionne Auto card that has a stick on the side…first of all, the stick only takes up about half of the available space, and he is pictured using a Sher-Wood stick and the stick relic is a Canadian stick.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Honestly, it’s not even close for me. The Cup is my favorite hockey brand.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Vote for the Cup. After opening cases of The Cup we were wow’d by the design and patches by cards in every box we opened. We opened 2 boxes of Dominion and had to stop because of the amount of single color jersey pieces that were the size of pieces you’d pull from threads or rookies and stars. Sure we got some nice looking patches as well but the single color patches killed it. Should not have those in such a premium product.

Also what’s still disturbing about both is that redemption cards should not exist in either product.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink
Brendan Grover

I voted for The Cup. I was impressed with Dominion but there is nothing like the ARP and I love the limited logo’s.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink
Ryan Umipeg

The Cup is better by far. Better design.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

The cup rocks. Beautiful patches vs plain swatches

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink
KC

KC Touch
The Cup
The Cup because it’s been the around for a while and you know what you are getting and also what to expect to get, also the base cards look way better than Dominion, also the look of the cards are much better too.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

The brand you voted for – Dominion

A sentence or two, explaining why you chose one brand over the other
I voted for Dominion because the subsets feature new and innovative content that injects strong value into the product. Panini went all-out to deliver fresh concepts for its high-end offering, incorporating unique memorabilia (Canadiens Centennial jerseys, stick tape, the Skinner/Subban All Star Jersey) and delivering some real “WOW” moments for collectors when they pull a great card.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink
caleb jansen

the cup, why? because its the cup the name says it all can you get anything better than the cup in hockey? i didnt think so!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink
Trevor Gaffney

Upper Deck cards have amazing photography

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
Alex Vegh

The Cup all the way. I chose it because of the better re-sale value on the secondary market.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
Don Hailstone

The cup looks cleaner that that of Dominon with a great layout from the cards that I have seen. Upper deck has stepped up their game with this release.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
steve ball

I think The Cup is the cream of the crop! The layout of Cup cards make them look sick with the big nasty patches and beautiful on card autos! There is no question in who is #1.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
Anthony Tourigny

i voted for the pannini dominion because there are more cards per box so its a better deal for the low budget person who want to take a chance for some good cards

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Gotta go with the Cup. I think the veteran brand pulls it out this year.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink
nathan lee

These cards would look amazining in my collection I definitely prefer dominion over the cup because I just like the way they look over all other hockey cards I have seen.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink
Clark Wescoe

I like the cup cards because they have a cleaner, slicker look to them.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
Zachary Frantik

My opinion is the Cup is still the reigning high end product of the year. There are to many cards in Dominion that are just jersey cards and too many parallels of that same card. Here is a hint Panini. We dont want 50 of the same looking card with just the foil board being different.

Thanks!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
Jon Connolly

I voted for The Cup. The design is more crisp and clean cut compared to Dominion. I’m not a fan of the stamped GIANT foil team logo on a lot of the cards and the actual Dominion logo on them is not attractive either. Also like getting ARP’s in every tin of The Cup. The extra base and “$5 bin” jersey cards in Dominion do nothing for me.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink
Boyd Zacher

The Cup, is the prize every hockey player dreams about, for fans UD’s The Cup get you as close as possible to the feeling of hoisting Hockey’s Holy Grail, The Cup

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Permalink
shotsavereboundscore

I chose the cup because p.k. has more room to sign on that card versus the dominion one. Also i like how its easier to read his name and i love serial numbering on the front of cards.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Upper Deck has, and always will be, head and shoulders above the competition, whether it is Victory cards, or what I consider the Holy Grail of collectibles, The Cup!!!! NO CONTEST!!!!!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Permalink
Kevin Douglas

year in and year out the cup is a high end product. This year is no different the patches are amazing and the design is stellar.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
Ian Cavanaugh

I think The cup is a more high end product because it has good hits and on card autos. It also has alot of rookies. I like the look of the cards, too.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink
Chris Puckett

Your name chris puckett
Your e-mail address aandzcards@gmail.com
The brand you voted for The Cup
A sentence or two, explaining why you chose one brand over the other
Basically The Cup cards are far superior in patches, card stock and auto’s. The Cup book cards are also superior in quality. By far and away.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink
T Roy

UD had some real idiots hand numbering cards this year in CUP.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink
Anthony Chu

My vote is for 2010-11 The Cup. I love the card stock and the look of The Cup. I hate the different foil colors and the numerous paralells from Panini. I love everything about The Cup. Hands down, they have better signers and a better product.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink
T Roy

Kindergarteners could have done it better.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink
Rodney Borromeo

The Cup hands down! Panini Products = junk!!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
Dave Shalala

Dave Shalala

dave.shalala[at]gmail[dot]com

The CUP!

I choose the Cup over Dominion for the simple reason that you cannot get a better product. The patches and GU is unreal. King of the premium brand, hands down!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink
James Samson

I voted for the cup. The players I collect are better represented in the CUP and with much nicer pieces.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink
Dorrey Kimber

2010-11 Dominion

I think Dominion is the better set because it has a better array of players and you get a couple more cards for a bit cheaper of a price, but still have a great chance at hitting something huge!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Cup has better looking cards and will make your money back easier than dominion

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
Kevin

Dominion

I like the design of Dominion more than the Cup. The sideways orientation and use of embossing really works. It aso has the better hits. The stick and tape relics, the cuts, the Stanley cup silver piece cards.
I also like that Dominion pays homage to the history of hockey with all the retired and decade themed subsets.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink
Kyle Filkins

While The Cup is a very nice product, Dominion offers substantially better value for the price. While both products are high-end, Dominion offers a better overall value because of its diverse checklist. The only negative comment from Dominion is their use of shields, autographed shields numbered to 5 is going to tarnish the allure of getting one.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink
Michael Useted

I like them both. Having to pick one is difficult. If i had to choose one, i would go with Dominion. I like the Panini design better, and the fact that the cards display awesome next to some of the National Treasures cards I have. I do thing the packaging is a little excessive for both products

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink
T Roy

You will never find a JERSEY in a tin of CUP. They lied.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink
Imran A. Rajwani

As much as Upper Deck has experience with high end hockey over the years with the quality and appealing designs from The Cup; Panini provides a newer refreshed look on the table with a classy design, big patches, plenty of room for the signers, and a royalty look to the cards that brings a new meaning to King of the hockey brands. Dominion will definitely be a great product for years to come keeping collectors craving more and more of the new elegance Panini is bringing to the competition!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink
MATTHEW GILMAN

I chose The Cup. Upper Deck products always have an edge. I like the design better. However Dominion is close to the product. They have sweet patch pieces. But I would have to give UD the edge here by the design.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink
Zoran Dragel

voted for The Cup since it one of the best premium brands available…love the look the feel of the cards…thru collectible…

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink
Brian Featherstone

Dominion for a couple of reasons. Even though it is more for Dominion, you get more cards for your buck. The patches are far superior….especially for the rookie crop. Dominion has a variety of NEW types of cards….like the cards that actually have a slab of silver on them and I just heard that there is a 1/1 Redemption to win miniature Stanley Cup!!!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I voted for The Cup because of its history and quality. Every card is beautiful and every year it gets better. The Dominion might end up being a great product, but The Cup already is a great product.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink
Ronny Der

I voted for 2010-11 The Cup becuase there are a shorter print of /99 rookies opposed to Dominion. Even though you get 1 per case of low number rookies. They’re is just too many. The product of the cup this year has far exceeded the previous years. This years product is truly the best year as there are lots of Canadian rookies.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I voted for the Cup

I believe the Cup is still the Premier brand because of its unique designs and still features the 2 biggest names of hockey in Gretzky, Howe and Orr. Also Dominion has too much parallels to my liking. Therefore, for this year at least, Cup wins

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink
Duane Fitzgerald

I like the cup a bit better.. more color , better photo, bigger signature.. just overall I like it more.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink
James A Stewart

I prefer The Cup card for several reasons:

1. The traditions which are attached to cards manufactured by The Cup and obvious in the finished product.
2. There appears to have been more thought gone in to producing this particular card than the Dominion card, e.g. the serial number corresponds to his jersey number, the serial number is written in the same ink as the signature (which, I presume, was written by Subban), there has been more thought put in to the artistic work to produce much more attractive patches and of course the patches are compiled to reflect his jersey number. Although it is difficult to tell in this media, I believe The Cup card is more distinct and sharper features than The Dominion.

I believe The Cup card is superior to the Dominion card.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
Joe Valladao

I voted for The Cup. The Cup simply just has better looking cards. The rarity of the cards in these packs just destroy anything else that tries to compare to it. These are just beautiful cards.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

I say Dominion. Why? Really easy. They have way more cards of players I actually want to collect. While both sets fall victim to the hobby craze of over-doing rookies, Dominion includes far more stuff from players that havn’t been used to death.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
Mike Cole

Hands down it has to be the Cup for me (As well as where my vote went). The Player selection is by far and away much nicer (even if you don’t have any interest in Gretzky, Howe or Orr). The cards have a much nicer design and overall better appearance. The Parallels in Cup are also not so much that you want to puke. The Cup has been, (as well, is and will be) the card that most people will prefer for quality. Dominion while having some interesting ideas, is not there this year, and has a way to go before it can compete with the Cup.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
Matthew Tompkins

Voted for: THE CUP

Why?: The cup is a way better product because the patches are nastier and the honorable numbers idea to shape the patch makes the card look even 1 step better. Also, the cards are hand numbered by the players to add an even stronger cool factor.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Permalink
Andy Heflin

i chose dominion primarily on the cheaper price point per box and the better deliverance of hits. i LOVE the cup as well, but just think panini hit a home run with this dominion release and its bang for your buck with each pack loaded with quality high end hits.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
Hugo Mercier

The Cup

Although both of these products look great and have their share of great looking cards, in my opinion, The Cup looks more polished and is the better product overall.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
Jared Whitman

Jared Whitman
jaredwhitman@gmail.com
The Cup
I chose The Cup because the uniqueness of the patches combined with the autographs on the cards make the product amazing! The Cup has always provided substantial hits in each box that more than make up for the price, you get what you pay for!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
Tom Brien

I voted for The Cup. Love the designs and rookie cards. Dominion has too many parallels.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

hey i vote the cup because it looks AWESOME and more of a chance to get a better card thanks.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink
Matthew Schultz

I voted for dominion (Even though The Cup was amazing this year). I am a long time UD supporter but it was Paninis first year in hockey and they really pulled off a great product with Dominion that caught me by surprise. I didn’t really expect to be too impressed by Panini but Dominion was an amazing product. It has a nice classy design with a white marbleish back-round with very elegant foil work. Dominion has some of the most impressive patches I have ever seen from any product and features a bigger patch window than that of The Cup. The one thing I like the most about Dominion is the rookie auto patches being numbered to 99 rather than the 249 print run of The Cup. The 99 print run makes them much more exclusive and in a high end product exclusiveness is everything. The main reason I voted Dominion though wasn’t for the reasons above, I voted Dominion simply because it came as a shock. We all know and look forward to The Cup every year and with this being Paninis first year I never even thought they would make a product that could rival the cup. Good job Panini and great work with Dominion.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink
Garry Hoffman

I have been collecting hockey for years. Ever since the Cup came out I usually buy about 4 or 5 tins a years and I never get disappointed. This year I bought my first box of Dominion and I wasn’t happy with it at all. The only thing I can say about the Panini is that the wooden box packaging is awesome! But I still take The Cup any day of the week.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
miguel maurice

I voted the cup! Dominion didnt do anything for me…while i was all over the cup cards!I cant really explain..its the cup !

I want them and i chase them;)They look raaly better too! No contest here…

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
Lindsay Ondo

I must say, its gotta be the cup. The subsets are so much more intriguing. Dominion did NOT impress this year. Nice attempt from Panini, and I see them improving on the set, but the Cup introduced some really nice pieces not to mention a very nice return on investment in the 2ndary and trade market.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Permalink
ernest lantto

dominion by far. i just pulled the redemption for the 78/79 mini stanley cup. that is by far a better pull than a redemption for a full blank sheet from that set. this cup is a part of history.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I prefer the cup to dominion. I like the card design a bit more and the history of the Cup on the secondary market is hard to overlook versus a new product. I applaud the effort from Panini, but I think Panini needs to establish a little more to have this product match up against the cup. The serial numbering seems higher than that in the cup as well.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink
joexbondo

Dominion features 2-3 base parallel cards and 2-3 base jersey’s per pack along with base RC’s that are only hard signed with no memorabilia. Granted Panini has expanded the number of SP RC /99 to 20, but is that really necessary for players like Cory Emmerton and Tomas Tatar (Sorry wings fans, no disrespect!)? When your High end RC’s can’t out sell a mid end product (CR silhouettes), youre in big trouble! Lastly, why even fathom buying tins when you have not even a CHANCE of pulling a Gretzky, Orr, or Howe? Panini will never be TRULY legitimate without 3/5 of the best players to lace skates in their products. Oh well, at least that Dominion wooden box makes a good cigar holder.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Permalink
Dustin MacNeill

The Cup card just looks absolutely stunning. The company put a great deal of effort to ensure this card was visually appealing as well as beautiful in the eyes of a card collector. Every detail of the card adds to the overall image rather than tarnashing it. Upper Deck chose to show their class and heritage in the card business, just as they ensured the heritage and legacy of the Montreal Canadiens showed on the card. This is a card that Upper Deck and PK Subban would both be honoured to possess just do the the overall feel of the card. Simply beautiful!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

My Vote is for The Cup.

I love the Cup and the design of all the cards in it this year.
I really love the Honorable Numbers set and Montreal is my favorite team so that Subban would be finding a great new home. Go Habs Go!!!!

And just for the record Panini sucks at customer service and there redemptions will likely take a year or more to fullfill as im still waiting on redemptions from there first release of the year (certified) and it took 2 months just to simply get an email back from customer service. I will never buy there stuff again thats just not acceptable in my books.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink
Keith Booth

The Cup all the way. has been for my favorite, look forward to it every year. Go Upper Deck.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Permalink
Tyler Weber

I voted for Domination. The cup is just way to overpriced ($500 a pack). Domination also has nicer cards. So for sure an easy decision!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink
Adam Martin

I voted for the Cup. Although both products contain a variety of great designs and high value, the Cup is the gold standard when it comes to quality. I feel the design and how rare these cards are bring demand. Congrats to both companies for making great hockey products for us to collect but The Cup stands alone!!!! Thanks and gl all

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink
chris peterson

Chose the Cup as it looks like more attention and thought was put into it.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink
Jamie McKenzie

I voted for THE CUP. It all comes down to card design, and The Cup is years ahead of Panini with their modern, sleek, eye catching card designs of the top players around the league.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink
Ryan Bagaoisan

My vote is for the cup. While Panini’s Dominion was a good venture into an ultra high end product, the Cup remains the pinacle of what a high end product should be. The Cup has always and my guess will always peak the interest of every collector making its cards highly desirable and collectable for years to come. The Cup has introduced many new designs that have also revolutionized the hobby from draft boards to this year’s booklets. This continuation of new and inventive designs combined with beautiful patches and autos of today and tomorrow’s superstars, its low production run and it’s highly desirable patch auto rookies both #/249 and #/99 make this a true winner. There is legit value in each tin.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Permalink
Trevor Cunningham

The cup for me, I prefer quality over quantity any day, if I were to have the cash right now to get either box it’d be the cup, I’d post the break so everyone could see it

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Dominion – more quality hits per case makes this the winner. Sometimes it seems Upper Deck doesn’t care for quality control. With Panini, you know they pack out their boxes and cases so you will get a few case hits.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Permalink
Ernest Hebert

I won’t put one product over the other….I am a collector……both the Cup and Dominion are good products to many give a bad name to a product because they won’t get a box loaded with super hits and feel they have been cheated well that is just the luck of the draw……I have seen FANTASTIC cards come out of both products that I would not mind owning …..when a company comes out with a product they rely on our feedback to make that said product better after all we are the ones buying the product……as for the two cards above the one I would prefer is the Honorable Numbers Subban from the Cup as to why and I give my opinion honestly the multiple colors of the patch work…….I will not vote as to which product is better because as stated both the Cup and Dominion have some mind blowing cards…….

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Permalink
Jeff Baldner

I voted for The Cup
The history and nostalgia ( as much as something can be historic and nostalgic in less than a decade) is a primary reason why, it is possibly UD’s most anticipated release across any sport each year and has consistently delivered bang for the buck year after year.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
steve emerick

I feel each product has their respective plus signs.

I for one feel the Gretzky gambit makes the Cup far more worthier than Dominion!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink
Patrick Leduc

My vote goes to Panini Dominion. I’m one of those that likes the manifactured patch (Heritage Classic and All star Rookie game insert). I also love the size of the dominion rookie patch. I also found quite strange to see that Taylor Hall The Cup rookie was a redemptiion.

Thanks for the contest!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm | Permalink
Derek Pierson

I applaud the effort put forth by Panini…competition only makes the hobby better. I feel that Dominion definitley gave more for the collector’s money. More cards per Pack / tin / box , new look cards with the snaps from fight straps, engraved metal name plates mimicking Stanley cup engravings, and some of the most jaw dropping , eye opening patch cards that this industry has ever seen. Not to mention , i have yet to see a redemption…. a system i feel Upper deck has over used to a fault.
Hats off to Dominion…. in my eyes , the clear winner !

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink
Randall Roberson

Randall Roberson
rlr31@uakron.edu
The Cup

Both brands are good looking cards that have their positives. It came down to my personal preference for seeing the patches displayed behind a die-cut design instead of just a plane, framed swatch of jersey.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Permalink
Adam Hirniak

I really, REALLY wanted Dominion to come out and knock the socks off of The Cup. Unfortunately, it just didn’t happen. Although the base cards are lower print run, and their are more cards in a box, dominion still ends up being 75% filler. High end cards are only 1 per box most of the time, and often do not justify the price of the product. Most of the really awesome cards from their promotional material (peerless patches, auto rookie patches, tape to tape, etc…) seem to be VERY tough pulls so far. Whereas in the Cup, every tin has a couple of nice hits, AND guarantees at least an Autographed rookie patch. On top of that, the Cup obviously boasts more collectible players (Gretzky, Orr and Howe). Not to mention the fact that Upper deck threw in a few AWESOME new sets (the rookie gear booklets and the Draft BOard Patch booklets, and signature sticks just to name a few). Combine these with the staples from past years like rookie Draft boards, signature swatches, Honorable numbers etc… AND the fact that this years design is awesome (LOVE, the hand numbering) and the Cup wins, HANDS down.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink
Sandeep

The Dominion
In my opinion it looks a lot nicer than the cup. The patch is a lot bigger and nicer too!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Permalink
Andrew

I truly think Dominion has the slight edge this year around. The Cup was truly brilliant but for the price you had to pay it had to be. On Dominion side, the price was much more affordable with just as many loaded tins of this stuff. The new sets that Dominion came out with just helped feed the new cravings that collectors were wanting. In the end for the price that needed to be paid Dominion is the choice for me.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
Jeff Yates

i voted Dominion for sure.

To me the brand just looks better overall. The design is awesome, i love nice large patch autos, so that helps :). The cup does have a lot of nice things about it, but id go with Dominion overall.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm | Permalink
Chris Wardner

The Cup!! Love the Subban in the pictures and the rookie cards usually contain really nice multi-color swatches.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink
dcdcards

I voted for the cup

its so simple the cup has a nice clean design and it sells better on the secondary market

Upper Deck Collect the best

thanks

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

the cup i like the patch and that the number looks hand sighned on the front.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Permalink
J. Rehrauer

I choosed Upper Deck The Cup, i’ve always liked Upper Deck products because they are second to none. The Cup is an elite product.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
david

Voted for the cup upper deck just has a better design hands down than panini and the content is better in the cup

Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
Matthew Corrigan

Gotta stick with The Cup. Upper Deck has a good 5 year head start on the high end hockey product & it shows.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I chose the cup because it’s given me more bang for the buck, the cards just seem sleeker and the Program of Excellence just seems so exciting as a Canadian to be able to pull.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
ethan cahn

For me It’s Simple: The Cup….
Hands down a step above the rest, the design and Quality are what High end Is all about…..

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm | Permalink
Evan Hachey

The Cup has proven itself time and time again. Even though Dominion seems to be a great product, the value of Cup cards has been proven over and over again. Easy choice!!! The Cup is better!!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink
Matthew Meyer

Your name: Matthew Meyer
Your e-mail address: reconvs@hotmial.com
The brand you voted for: I voted for The Cup
A sentence or two, explaining why you chose one brand over the other: I voted for The Cup because I think it is a better looking set. I like the base cards better. I think the rookies hold a more solid market value. And the triple patches are amazing looking (I recently aquired the Eric Staal, Jeff Skinner, and Cam Ward /10 triple patch and it’s one of the best looking cards I own). Plus I like Upper Deck cards better than Panini.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink
Kenney Der

I believe The Cup is a much better product Dominion because The Cup produces a very clean and attractive style of subsets and has less varaiations of the same design and produces lower amounts of just jersey/Patch cards opposed to Panini and Dominion flooding the market with unnecessary high numbered jersey swatches.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
Mike Fleagle

I would have to go with The Cup, UD has nailed this product. There is NOTHING that can match this years autographed rookie gear booklets!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
François St-Hilaire

Gretzky – Howe – Orr

Only on Upper Deck, BOOM!!!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink
Jonathan Delisle

Voted for the Cup, great history, product looking better year after year and as it might sound childish, i love the logo… it really is the highest end of all high ends! :)

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink
kris

The 76 patches on the cup look awesome!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Permalink
Derek Oswald

I voted for The Cup as I think that aesthetically, the Cup looks better than Dominion. They have done a great job so far, and I think that they will remain the “better” set.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Permalink
Gordon Y

I prefer The Cup over Dominion. Dont get me wrong Dominion is a great product but to me personally it does not bring in the “Wow” factor that the cup gives. In Dominion you may get more cards per pack/tin but in some cases those extra cards turn out to be parrallels. I must admit that both companies do have parrallels in their products but Dominion has too much variation for a High end product. In Dominion there are more rookies /99 than The Cup but it may be very hard for set collectors who are trying to complete the set. I can understand putting a good variety for the Rookies /99 but it gets to a point where when you pull a 99 you know you arent expecting a huge hit at times as the list is large. Keeping the SP crop shorter tends to help out values in my opinion.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I put my vote in for UD The Cup. The cards in the Cup have an elegance to them that Dominion doesn’t. UD has designed The Cup to be classy and an in-your-face premium product. Dominon is modern and sleek… but lacks the refinement that the Cup has. It’s definitely a cool new kid on the block, but it’s not the king of the hill.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink
Greg Hudson

I prefer The Cup. I think cards with serial numbering should have the numbering displayed on the front of the card, especially low-numbered cards. Who wants to display a 1 of 1 with the numbering on the back?

Posted September 19, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink
Marty

I voted for Dominion

Reason why is more hits for less money, and I have seen far more misses in the Cup then Dominion. Cup can hit the grand slam every once in a while but the consistency of Dominion is the overall winner in my eyes.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm | Permalink
armand rock

choice: the cup
with such high end products you expect a patch with more than two colors…panini doesnt deliver there. this is too bad because otherwise i prefer dominion’s layout better.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Permalink
Sebastien Thibault

The Cup still holds the biggest hits and the cards are overall nicer, but I really like what Panini has done with Dominion for the first year. There is more cards in every pack and the price point is significantly lower. Just too many base parallels to get my vote.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink
Jacob White

The Cup. It is by far the best product and most collected by collectors. Nice design every year, and i dont thing Dominion matched it, not even close

Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

The Cup. Beautiful patches with plenty of color. The Panini just looks a bit drab.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink
Mark Wassel

Voted for Dominion.
Mark Wassel
njtrap4@comcast.net
For 2 reasons : 1- I am really tired of Ud’s games when it comes to product breakdown, The Cup’s original buy sheet stated five hits and when product finally hit shelves only four plus they raised the price. Dominion stated 8 cards per pack with 6 hits and when product hit most packs/boxes have 10 cards most being extra hits. 2- Redemptions, did hear from a reliable source UD was having problems paying the high end players for their auto’s. Look at alot of the redemptions high end players Gretzky,Crosby etc. .

Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink
Matt Chin

Dominion might have better themes on their subsets but the Cup is a steps higher in Quality. It is like the old classic that never gets old.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink
DJ Patterson

The Cup by far. Both are great products but, to me, Upper Deck takes their time to make the product people want. Panini just seems to throw stuff together just to get it out there. Compare the patches – point proven.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink
Lonny Houle

I am voting for the cup. I do like the look of the Dominion, it is just that I feel the cup may have higher resale value, is Upper Deck, and more of a tried and tested market. The good news, I like both products, but voted for the cup, and since I actually collect Subban as a Major PC, with about 30 plus of his various rookie cards already, I definitely need either of these as I do not have either one yet, and they are both beauties!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Choice: Dominion
Better chance of getting a Subban rookie auto with a decent multicolour patch, too many white patches in The Cup.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink
Adam Blumhardt

I like the Cup better. Just look at the Subban cards above. First, I like the design of The Cup cards better, they are more crisp and clean and the colors look brighter. Second, the patches in the Cup can’t be topped. Just compare the patches from each card. The Cup always delivers crisp, clean on card autographs with unbeatable patches.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink
Lonny Houle

I voted for the cup. I bought two tins, and hit pretty big this year, with a sweet trios with Subban, as well as a Jordan Ebberle beautiful rookie Auto Patch /99. I haven’t bought any dominion yet, I may, but with the consistency of Upper Deck, I know I will buy more cup. As well, as a serious Subban collector with over 30 of his rookie cards, I still need either one of those two!

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Permalink
Chuck

Panini put out a great product.The cup has been a late arrival to hockey every year. Overpriced and overrated.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:30 pm | Permalink
Rob donauer

Dominion. Such unique players, and autographs that I haven’t seen from upper deck in years. Manon rheaume, Felix the cat, and Paul Coffey to name a few. Good to see these guys and gal on cards and autos. The cup has been using the same core for the past few years. Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr. These pulls have come too common. I want to see more of others stars that are vital to the game. And dominion offers this.

Therefore, dominion is awesome possum.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink
John

The Cup.

As far as High End products go, Upper Deck’s “The Cup” is one of the best. The product has a great Design, Checklist and the exclusive Legends keep it a notch above the new Dominion product.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Permalink
jen p

The cup

More solid designs overall and they are not afraid to do patch autos – minus the rookies in dominion there aren’t too many patch and auto’d cards. Also you get a rookie patch auto in ever box of the cup which is a plus.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

I voted for, and I’d say the Cup is the nicer product. Everyone at my LCS seems to agree with me. The design just looks more eye-appealing and clean, in my opinion. Too bad it’s out of my price range.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Dominion

This is a difficult selection because I do like both sets but Dominion wins out simply because I like the base design. The horizontal layout and the use of foil team logos works out nicely.

Posted September 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Permalink
Daniel Gyurcsi

I like both products, but I vote for The Cup just because of it’s “tradition”, I get used to The Cup, Dominion is new on the market.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink
Jim Taylor

The “2010-11 Dominion cards are by far the best. They appear to be more professional in their presentation. That is, the player pictures, patches, signatures, and colors are perfectly set and express true high-end product.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:01 am | Permalink
Don

I do not truly think this is a fair debate as one been out for what 5 plus years while the other one is brand new. I think both have pluses and minuses but let give Panini five years to see what they put out down the road to truly give a fair comparison. I will take Panini to support the new kid on the block.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:35 am | Permalink
jeremy gray

THE CUP

Although i’ve never been able to purchase a tin of The Cup, the name says it all. The top prize all hockey players want is The Cup, just like collectors in the hockey hobby want The Cup. Beautiful design, great players and hard to get low numbered cards. The Cup all the way!!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:16 am | Permalink
otto.spb

The Cup is better because it’s Panini stickers! And there’s nothing to do them! And nothing much to say!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:41 am | Permalink
kyle

I vote for the cup, I like the high end feel, although saying that I just opened one of the worst boxes of the cup I have ever seen.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:58 am | Permalink
Steeve vaillancourt

voted dominium. Memorabilia are so big and i love the design

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink
maurice king

the cup , ive been a fan of upper deck from the beginning , 20 years ago , and i always know im getting a good product , but overall i like the look and design of the cup product more than dominion .

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink
Eric Naylor

I have to vote for The Cup!!

Upper Deck has always had clean designs, and excellent quality control, especially trying to limit redemptions in it’s products!!

Panini’s Dominion is ok, but looks sloppy, and plain. Upper Deck wins hands down!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:27 am | Permalink
Jeremy johnston

Jeremy Johnston
Weamdabest36@yahoo.com
Voted for the cup
It was close, both products offer a nice clean photo of suban, Which is important to me. I choose the cup, because I always had a thing for the die cut windows for memorabilia pieces and I love hand #d cards as well. Plus inknow it’s just random what ur patch will look like, but the patch for the cup is just nasty!!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:32 am | Permalink
Michael Fitzpatrick

I think Upper Deck’s The Cup is the better product. I do not think high end products like this should have endless parallel cards and non numbered auto’s. The cards you have put up to win have around 1000.00$ in the difference, with Panini’s RC /25 being worth 1200.00-1500.00$ and the Honorable numbers worth 200.00-400.00.

Knowing that I still have to vote for the Cup

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:34 am | Permalink
Brad Rabig

The Cup is clearly the better overall high-end product. Very appealing card designs, I especially like the Honorable Numbers cards this year, and the Stanley Cup Signatures. Dominion may deliver more cards per box – but it’s a case of quality vs quantity. Way too many base card parallels in Dominion, I think it’s something like 14 parallels! And that’s way too many base cards and single color jersey cards in a supposedly “premium” product. Dominion has some nice subsets, so I’ll pick up some singles from the product. But if you want to buy a box, The Cup is the way to go.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:41 am | Permalink
Bryon Pratt

The Cup all the way. Better design, better photos, better patches. Panini has yet to figure out what a patch really is in any sport.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:12 am | Permalink
Chris

I voted for Dominion….because I got to help pack it out.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:14 am | Permalink
andre madaire

the cup all the way!!!
multi color patches are great and love the design
you cant go wrong whit upper deck,i dont like panini!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:30 am | Permalink
Alvin Yam

I voted for The Cup because it has a good history as a card brand. Yes your patch looks great on your Cup card, but I have seen too many of these cards be all one color in these packs. Playoff should have included a better patch seeing how there are only 25 of these cards.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:32 am | Permalink
XstreamINsanity

Name: XstreamINsanity
Email: xstream_insanity@yahoo.com\
Vote: Dominion
Why: Even though the patch is mostly one color, I love the size of it, I love the die cut that shows it, and it kind of reminds me of SP Authentic cards. Also, it looks more elegant.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:55 am | Permalink
joe

The cup hands downs truly groundbreaking when first came into market in 05-06. Nothing comes close to it.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:56 am | Permalink
kent chisler

My vote goes to the Cup as UD always puts out a nice Hockey product and this set is no exception. Excellent photos, patches and hi-quality card stock. This is another top notch product and sure to make your money back should you bust for re-sell.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink
Frank Leclair

I prefer Dominion. The Cup has become redundant. Same insert sets year in and year out. I like the variety that Dominion offers. Not to mention the fact that it is about $100 less a box and has 11 cards instead of 6!
Dominion offers nicer patch swatches than The Cup as well. For my money, Panini wins hands down

Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:09 am | Permalink
Rob Botello

I voted for Dominion because it is something new and fresh and the Jumbo patches have been incredible. The Cup is just been sending out the same thing every year without really adding much to it.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink
David Maksymyshyn

The Cup. Although I like the size of the patch window in Dominion, the overall design and appearance of the Cup card is more appealing. Leaving more room for the signature will generally garner a nicer, larger auto, and the hand numbering is a nice touch.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink
charles hlinko

If your just looking at the 2 cards,it’s not even close.The Cup by far !!!!!!!!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink
Mike Pankowski

I went with Dominion. Bigger swatches, plus lower card numbers on most of it’s bigger items.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink
Steve Cox

Voted for: The Cup. For mine, its the cup, all the way. You get what you pay for with cup – quality. Dominion has too many jerseys, too many parallels. Just feel like with the cup, your more likely to get a truly unique looking card (from what i’ve seen, anyway)

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink
Jonathan Bowman

I voted Dominion for one reason and one reason only: Normand Leveille.
This was a player with all the potential in the world. If The Cup or Dominion was around back then, he would have been one of the hottest rookies in the set, right alongside Paajarvi. But his career was tragically cut short when in-between periods of a Canucks-Bruins game in just his second season, he suffered an anuerysm. Gone, but not forgotten in the minds of Bruins fans, he had GU and autograph cards included in Dominion; a noble gesture that served more than just your run of the mill “checklist filler.” I can only imagine how thrilled Normand must have been when he got that phone call, and what it must be like for him to see his signature in a hobby product like this. And some of those old-school Bruins Bear patches are just stunning.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink
Chris Helme

As much as I hate to stray from The Cup, because it never disappoints, I had to vote for Dominion on this go-round. Dominion is a brand new product with fresh ideas, incredible patches, and while The Cup has these features as well, it’s just good to see another product taking a serious run at the title right out of the gate. They didn’t take two or three years to build up to such an intense product, it was a first-year explosion for them, and I am thoroughly impressed. I like the price point, more cards for less money, it’s decent value, in my opinion. Looking at those patches and primes, man, they truly are incredible. It’s great to see a serious contender, and Panini’s thoughtfulness to include Norm Leveille in their highest end product was heartfelt and amazing. I give them a lot of credit for that, and hope that trend continues, including unsung heroes big and small, who have all too often been ignored by the hobby while embraced by the fans.

While I have a bit of a public platform, hey UD and Panini, one of you needs to give us a set dedicated to the roughnecks of the ice! We don’t see enough Stan Jonathan out there! Give us more Stu Grimson, Tie Domi, Bob Probert, Wensink, Magnusson, let’s get a product out there for the fans of the two-fisted art of enforcing!

My 2 cents, haha. Cheers!
-Chris (BruinsFan08)

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:12 am | Permalink
Jon Martin

I vote for Dominion mainly because their rookie patches are (usually) much bigger and better than The Cup in terms of beauty! Plus I was getting tired of Upper Deck being the only NHL/PA licensed hockey card manufacturer.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:12 am | Permalink
Mike Taylor

Without a doubt – the Cup. Nice effort by Panini, but an E for Effort. The breaks have been either a landslide or a washout, and for that cash, I’d hate to be on the end of a washout. The Cup was here first, and will be here last.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink
Ryan V

Your name: Ryan V
Your e-mail address: itwasin2004@gmail.com
The brand you voted for: The Cup
Honestly, I prefer the metal tin over the wood box… But the Cup has history, and some of the biggest names in hockey. Something Panini doesn’t (currently) have.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:21 am | Permalink
J.J. Bonneville

I vote the Cup the Cup has a proven as a high end product for resale value. Also PK Cup Card the patches are amazing!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink
Shawn Rankin

I vote for The Cup because a set missing Gretzky, Orr and Howe is not a real hockey set.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink
Alan Chen

Brand: The Cup
Reason: I’m more excited to see what’s inside a box of The Cup because the Upper Deck product looks more refined.. Dominion seems cluttered with extra foil and branding and too many filler cards.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink
John Warda

DOMINION

I love the horizontal layout and the large patch auto’s.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink
Toby Carbert

I think the Cup is superior – card design and quality is far above Dominion. Dominion for the most part is a series of parallels with little or no design change. Domion does deserve credit for some great new card designs – but The Cup beats them hands down with better ARP rookies, Gretzky/Howe/Orr autos and just a great lineup of fantastic patch and auto cards.
Great job Upper Deck, better luck next year Panini.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink
Walter Webster

I voted for Dominion and only for a couple of reasons. One on the ARPs in The Cup have way, way too many one color swatches for a high end product. While Dominion has some of the most ridiculous patches on the ARPs(not all but most do). The other point is the Dominion has probably the best subset in any of this years product with Peerless Patches. Hands down the sickest subset with the patches. Unbelievable !!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink
Wes

Dominion for me. The swatches are much larger and just as nice. Better photography. Yeah, Dominion for me.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink
Marko Rieck

I voted for The Cup.
This year it still is the king, maybe it changes next year.
Dominion has way too many parallels and jerseycards and too few patch / patch au cards.
I think we will see a real battle next year.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:17 am | Permalink
Tyson Michie

I’ve never broken either of these, but I’m consistently impressed with Cup breaks that I see, not so much with Dominion, so I have to go with The Cup.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink
Bob Zelle

The Cup. Even though both sets have sick cards throughout them, I feel like the Cup gives a better chance at landing something big in each box and not leave collectors looking for a case hit; and at these price points that’s the way it should be.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:21 am | Permalink
Mark Irvine

I went with Dominion because..I did not feel so violated after opening it. The Cup not only this year but the last few, at the price point it is over priced. Yes, it has some tremendous patches etc., but after opening Dominion each and every box I did not have that OMG feeling from return on investment. In particular when you get a Scandella (no offence) one color patch and finish off the tin with a solid $60 possibility in recoup, it stings. Dominion kept the speculative rookies to the auto’s out of /199. For their first year I thought Panini did very well, and redemptions seem to be kept to the ruby signatures and rookie auto’s. Just one guys opinion. great contest!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Dominion’s ARP’s had bigger auto’s and bigger patches. The Cup looked too much like SPA this year. I felt the Peerless Patch set yielded better patches than Limited Logo’s. The “Had It, Stamped It” set and “Tape 2 Tape” are stunning cards. Dominion felt new, felt fresh, where when seeing The Cup, I felt if I had seen all these cards already.

Plus its cheaper!!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:26 am | Permalink

you have to vote for the cup. it has been a staple in high end hockey for quite a few years . and to be the best you have beat the best. great effort by panini to enter this market though and a really nice product but you dont get it first ballot we will see next time

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink
Pierre Gallant

Pierre Gallant
cheaterman at hotmail dot com
I voted for The Cup

The Cup is better than dominion because The Cup isn’t cluttered with extra base cards and simple sweater swatch cards in order to increase the number of cards per tin as a selling point. Also, the cup has 72 rookies with patch autos while dominion only has 20.

Besides, I don’t agree with the method panini strong-armed their way into acquiring a NHL/NHLPA license so I will always be an Upper Deck loyalist and will never support anything panini does

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink
danny

the cup…………………
3 names gretzky howe and orr to start

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink
Andre

I voted for the cup. It’s the benchmark for all high end products. Has been proven over and over as the product providing the most quality. I love the card layout and photography. My favorite product!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:05 am | Permalink
Rick Collins

Dominion has too many parallels, and too many jersey cards. If I want jerseys I would get SP Game Used. Not enough patch/autos for the price.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink
Jason Terris

For pure content the Cup is is the better product because of many reasons: 1 – Gretzky, 2 – Better overall varied designs, 3 – Better use of Patch/Autos, 4 – Tradition, 5 – More consistent breaks. Thank you Upper Deck.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:24 am | Permalink
Jonathan Vachon

I like more The Cup visual presentation… Huge fan of the UD product, cannot go wrong with theses… even the box is nice!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink
Matthew Stewart

I prefer the Cup because it has a simpler style that allows the autograph, memorabilia, and photo of the player to be the focus of attention.

Looking at the two Subban cards here you can see how Dominion has the auto squished between the photo and the name of the card. The photo of Subban on the Dominion card seems to be chosen with little thought as the Cup chose a photo that zooms in on his face and highlights his fierceness. I also prefer how The Cup hand numbers the sp cards, which adds a level of attention and authenticity that Dominion doesn’t have and instead offers cheap foil attributes. Lastly, the Subban patch on the Cup card is dynamic unlike the blazing white swath of patch Dominion choose. I wonder if Dominion chose the patch for its size instead of its appearance?

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

My vote goes for Dominion. While The Cup may have some better exclusive signers and have less filler hits, Dominion hits collectors with better collectible themes and designs. The Rookie Patch cards for Dominion have larger patch windows. To carry that over to insert cards, they also have the mammoth patch cards which are absolutely drool-worthy. Also in a collecting world where even autographs are becoming commonplace, the Notable Nicknames cards are an absolute winner. Finally, I wouldn’t mind pulling the redemption for an actual Cup!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

The Cup gets my vote. The fact that they started in 05-06 when AO and Crosby came out brings the nostalgia for me. The best year for rookie cards and The Cup is where they began.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink
Nick Cook

The Cup

Better design, more limited.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:45 am | Permalink
Brent

I prefer The Cup, it got my vote, just a solid product and I like the graphics and card designs better!! I think Upper deck should do more high products, they seem to have a nack for making the best of the best!!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:53 am | Permalink
Matthew T

Voted for – Dominion

Why I chose Dominion? Panini did a great job with selecting player photos in Dominion and dealing with the small things. Case in point with the Subbans: team logo on the jersey for the player photo, full team name “Montreal Canadiens”, a nice big swatch AND the Dominion logo is better than the Cup’s logo.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink
Carl

My vote goes for The Cup. Year after year, upper deck produce a wonderful product with awesome looking cards.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Permalink
Andrew Gronich

I voted for the Cup. even though i have never opened this product the cards seem to be very high end. Almost every card is valuable if not every card. Also u cant go wrong with upper deck. Their cards are far more superior then that of panini. It wasn’t even a question to me that I would vote for the Cup.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
Andrew Wishon

I voted for The Cup. Overall design and quality was better.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I prefer Dominion because Upper Deck has a bunch of popinjays for employees.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Permalink
Nadine Nelde

I voted Dominion.

Most of the Big Hits are more creative then The Cup.

And I like the fact The Cup is getting a challenge, it will only help us collectors.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Permalink
Chad Gardner

I like the Dominion Product. I do not care for hand written numbering on the Cup cards. I also have seen many more vibrant patches coming from the Dominion Product as compared to the Cup.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I’m a hockey card collector and feel that you get way more bang for your buck with Dominion versus the Cup. I usually open the higher end hockey products. The case of Dominion i open was much better then my Cup case. Its good to have high end options!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink
Jas Badwal

Cup has been tried and tested. I get lost in the parallel world that is Panini!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink
Tim Yount

I vote The Cup! You can’t go wrong with the Original! Great design year-end year-out!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Permalink
Eric Garafone

I voted for Dominion because I prefer the patch cards. Also I am always against upperdeck for taking In the Game out of the NHL market.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Permalink
Casey Cleary

I’m a Cup Supporter, year in year out it’s the best! With it being the Highest End Product for Upper Deck, they make sure to give the collector something to look forward to and a ALOT of awesome cards to pull! And they outdo themselves everytime! The card designs are always new and fresh, and they give the card that high-end feel! I LOVE the scripted swatches and the Limited Logos Set!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink
Michael

The Cup, and it’s not even close.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink
Dave Newton

I prefer “The Cup”. Far better design and some sick inserts.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink
Rich Sliwinski

UD The Cup! upper deck has been the leader in hockey for years now, and to me, panini is in over their heads with trying to duplicate a high-end hockey product like the cup. additionally, the cup has a history of its rc auto patch cards being so valuable for its best players, and i like an annual product with a good rep already to its name.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Permalink
chad mayerhofer

The Cup for me. Dominion has some nice patch cards but way too many parallels and filler cards for me. The Cup is way better!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink
josh petik

i voted for THE CUP because overall i think the price is a little bit higher but upperdecks the cup brings a whole new level to premium cards. the autos are clean the patches are deadly and the rookies are beautiful. go the cup and hopefully ill be able to get a tin

Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Permalink
David

Dominion – Some of the best patches I have ever seen have popped out of it. Although, the Cup does come darn close with it’s consistent awesomeness with rookie cards.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I chose Dominion

I like the unique elements it brings. A wider player selection and different memorabilia cards (Tape to Tape, Stickside Signatures) that the Cup doesn’t have. The Engravatures cards are pretty cool too. Overall, Panini provided a great alternative to The Cup.

jacobgordon33@aol.com

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink
Natacha Nadon

Dominion all the way!

Easier on the wallet and the card design is pretty sweet! You also get more cards, a better variety of inserts AND their rookie ARP’s are simply better with bigger and nicer patches!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink
Zach Ellenthal

The Cup.

It has more of a high – end feel to it. It’s clearly the premier release for Upper Deck while I don’t think Dominion has the same feel.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
Chris Dulle

The Cup

Great looking product year after year. Design of cards is top notch allowing autos to be seen clean and crisp.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink
Marie Bergeron

The Cup has a better design which seems to seems to be more appealing to the eye. A balance of photos and additional details, whether its autographs, patches or other.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm | Permalink
Ryan Rajmoolie

I voted for Dominion. With the Cup, you get six cards (five with a monster hit) and you may or may not get value out of your pack.

I’m on my third case of Dominion…I’ve hit TWO Taylor Hall ARP /99 and a Crosby Shield Auto 1/1 PLUS a host of other VERY cool inserts and each pack seems to have been full of value (not to mention that I am getting 11-12 cards per pack vs the advertised 8).

Panini hit a homerun with this one…I only hope they can keep it up so they can compete against Upper Deck and The Cup.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink
Alexandre Therrien

Voted for Dominion. More cards, like the look better, less risky and with all the box break I saw, boxes are all good!

Posted September 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
Toby Carbet

I am fairly split on this one but I give the nod to Dominion. This is their first year but they have really come out with some genuine and unique cards. Being only their first year they have some time to work to add value and collectibility as The Cup does have an edge with RC’s and the trio of signers.
But for value, as the less expensive product, Dominion does show better value with their variety and quality of cards. The Cup seems to much a hit or miss brand still after 6 years in the market.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Permalink
Joe S.

Both are very nice sets, I went with Dominion just because of the Brass Bonanza autos.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink
Matthew Staedtler

i voted for The Cup, mainly because it has more of a high end feel to me. while Dominion is nice, most of the subsets come across as just a slightly nicer version of mid-level stuff. Every card in The Cup has a premium style to them.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Permalink
Frank Konofalski

Just look at the patch on The Cup Subban over the Dominion all white patch…enough said.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink
Joe

I voted for The Cup over Dominion. Panini had an admirable rookie season for NHL cards, but they’ve got a ways before they catch up to Upper Deck. Trying to compare Dominion to a proven giant like The Cup is like saying Martin St. Louis could take Zdeno Chara in a fight.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:38 pm | Permalink
Derek Manchester

My vote is for Dominion.

The break is less expensive than The Cup while providing almost twice the amount of cards on most occasions. Although the cards overall may not be as limited as The Cup, the value in busting Dominion on the whole is greater than The Cup.

Dominion provides more entertainment value with their break, and their depth in their checklist allows for popular but forgotten players to find their way back into products, instead of using filler cup-of-coffee rookies to fill in ‘insert’ sets in The Cup.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:03 am | Permalink
Nathan Weber

I have to vote for The Cup. Just sharper looking and less just junk cards like Dominion. I do like the RPA design of Dominion better but I don’t like the lack of auto/patch cards in Dominion. Really hurts the value compared to The Cup plus The Cup RPA /99 far outsell Dominion RPA /99. Both products are overpriced though. Most boxes won’t get you close to $400 or $500 return. I was in a group case break of Panini Dominion and the highest value card is probably a Kadri RPA /99 at around $150ish or a Stamkos Black 1/1 base parallel (no auto or mem) which is of unknown value.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:18 am | Permalink
Chris Puzzuoli

Th Cup gets my vote, too many misses in a pack of Dominion ex base and parallels. I believe that takes down the overall value of he product.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink
Denny Liang

I picked the Cup simply because of the design and the photos used on the Cup cards. The thickness of the Cup card also gives me a prestige feeling. Yeah! It’s the CUP!

Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink
Matt Godbout

I voted for the cup, and really, it feels like telling people the earth is round. This isn’t even close in comparison of quality, or value per box/pack. Far too many variations and parallels…this isn’t the 90′s, no one cares about numbered parallels, and they should never be in a product that has this price tag.

Unfortunately the only way Dominion compares to the Cup is price point, and it shouldn’t be there either.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink
Kevin

Dominion.

Why? Because they created new and different ideas. The Cup has been the same thing year after year. When are they going to try something different? The only real addition is the on-stick autographs.

Dominion has the stickside autographs, rarer rookie autographs, and fresh concepts. Plus it appears that you get screwed less often then a box of The Cup too.

The answer is Dominion for me.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink
Bram Waxman

I chose the cup because I find that dominion has too many dollar cards like the base parallels and jerseys. The cup cards all hold more value I find.

The reason I chose this brand is because

Posted September 21, 2011 at 5:17 am | Permalink
Scott Nobles

I had to vote for Dominion even though I am not a huge fan of Panini products. The design of the cards look amazing and they had some good ideas with their subsets like Tape to Tape.

I have been watching both types of breaks and I see far more people happy with the results of Dominion over The Cup.

I am sure The Cup RC /99 will still be the top card moving forward but I believe you get more ROI in Dominion.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 5:58 am | Permalink
Carsten Pieper

I prefer The Cup, it’s the more established brand with a better design. Dominion comes very close, I’ve seen some awesome patches (the one being displayed here being an exception), but some little details, for example the overexcessive use of silver and gold embossed letters don’t look good on the Panini product for me.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:20 am | Permalink
patrick tardif

the cup !!!

since 05-06 my girlfriend wants to leave me every single year after the release !!! nicer product all around, better quality in cards, more patch vs jersey, desing and player selection.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink
Nash

IAlthough Dominion is a great looking set on many angles; the solidarity of The Cup name will draw me to it 100% of the time. Maybe in a few years Dominion may be superior but atm it’s THe Cup all the way.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:53 am | Permalink

I think Dominion missed the mark by not including autographs on some of their patches.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink
Duane Powell

To the Cup just looks a lot more high end, from what I’ve seen the patches are way better looking than Dominion. I just like the look better fo the Cup

Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:21 am | Permalink
Scott Watson

I like Dominion and they did a good job with their autos and patches (see ed belfour florida panther logo- awesome!) The Cup has its merit too but UD should know by now that single patches are not acceptable in this established product.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink
Matthew K.

I personally think that the Cup is the clear winner here. While Panini did step up and add some great patch cards, creative subsets, and a deep player checklist, panini does not yet have the same perception of value amongst collectors that the Cup has. Since the release of the Cup in 2005, there has been a huge following for it and the demand for it is higher than any other product in the market. Panini is in the right direction, but until they add clear-cut value to each and every box and ditch the endless amount of parallels and worthless jersey card filler, true high-end collectors will chose the Cup every time. Like the cup panini should K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)

Posted September 21, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink
Cole Moorhead

I would want the Cup card over the Domimion because the design is way nicer.

I am only 11 and cant spend that much on cards though.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I picked dominion, cause the cup is about 75 to 100 bucks more than dominion, with that extra cash i could buy all the 1990 PRO SET i want …..woooooooooooooooooooo (ric flair style )!!!!!:)

Posted September 21, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink
derek coates

I voted THE CUP!! The patches and insert sets just seem that much sicker than Dominion. From top to bottom it just out classes its respective rival w/ ‘Property OF’, Laundry Tags, Scripted Sticks and so on. Plus throw in the Draft Boards, BookMarks and Honorable Numbers and you have a WINNER. Maybe it’s because its a more established brand in our Hockey world but for now its THE CUP.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink
JP

Voting for the Cup, Panini’s got too much foil going on. Plus no Gretzky,Orr or Howe.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 11:38 am | Permalink

For this year’s release I would chose the Cup over Dominion for the simple reason of aftermarket value. However, I am quite impressed with the Dominion subset offerings. The creativity of Panini’s designers shows and is a breath of fresh air from the safe – but rather stale – “same old-same old” Cup subsets.

I believe with a couple years of maturity, some fine tuning, and continued creativity on Panini’s part that the race for supremacy in the premium products will be won by Panini. They made a valiant effort in their rookie year and threw down the gauntlet; only time will tell how UD responds.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink
Edward

Dominion stands out with the new and refreshing additions like autographed GU stick tape and engraved silver nameplates (like your own piece of the Stanley cup). In my opinion, these new additions were needed to make up for the lack of big name players that are exclusive to The Cup. With that said, I would rank the first High-End offering from Panini, Dominion, slightly higher than this years The Cup.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

The Cup have a better and sharper design plus really nice autographed patch !

Posted September 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink
ShaneK

I voted for Dominion, as I just love the way they are taking the industry. The idea of giving away real hockey memorabilia as redemptions is pure genius.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

I voted for the cup because both of these are way outta my price league and it seems like the feedback is way better on the cup.
So I’m a sheep, i followed the herd. BAAH BAHHH baby.

Posted September 21, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink
Rob H

I voted for Dominion. I do like The Cup as well but the price point of Dominion, coupled with more cards per box, makes it a little easier to stomach the high cost. I also love the Mammoth and Peerless Patches and the Tape To Tape!

Posted September 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
Kendall Richardson

Hands down, I had to vote for The Cup. I find The Cup is more classier and provides better looking cards over Dominion. I was way more excited to open a pack of The Cup than any other brand out there!

Posted September 23, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink
Jacob Caine (age 14)

I decided to vote for The Cup. Panini has done a good job in there first year making hockey cards in a while but the cup has supreme quality patches compared to one colour patches in dominion. Plus the overall design of The Cup is nice and clean.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I VOTED FOR THE CUP, MUCH NICER PRODUCT AND THE AUTO’S AND PATCHES ARE GREAT

Posted September 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink
Steven Devers

I like The Cup a little better. The card is just a better design. Just taking the auto’d memb. cards for Subban, the design is more eye catching and pleasing to the eye. Obviously both are high-end products, but The Cup just looks a little more high end.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm | Permalink
heath lorah

I think that both products are really sweet , but i think dominion has alot more “sick” patches , and the cup looks like it always does, really nice, but if you don’t pull a rc /99 it is a tough rip, dominion on the other hand appears to have other hits other than rc patch /99 , that are coming out a little more frequently ,and at least that gives you a fighting chance to get your money back. Also i think that cup coming out 2 weeks earlier, and the economy being what it is, alot less people have ripped dominion because they have not recovered from the cup rip. Imagine if cup and dominion actually came out during the hockey season ! How sweet would these products be then , when the hockey world is actually excited about what currently going on in hockey, not 3 months after the stanley cup is over and people lose interest.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink
Jason Taylor

I chose Dominion because of the player selection.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Permalink
Hector

To be honest , I will not buy either one.I will buy singlesfrom both sets understanding yhat no materwhat comany I buy from may or may not be what it seems. Foe the price of a “box, pack” I could buy an actual game worn jersey, stick, helmet, socks, ect. Go to an event and actually meet the players in person (i.e. Tip a King. ect) and share a moment or 2 for the same price or less. I would actually like a set that featured every player that hit the ice or bench (goalie back ups) in the season. Maybe through in the coaching staff and some Zebras ala Proset. With a better design and editing though.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 8:05 pm | Permalink
larry hope

Hi i have liked the cup for years even though it is getting harder to break even if you buy single boxes with the inflated box prices that you are forced to pay.Only 1 case hit for cup is hard also for the price you pay.Dominion is nice but is even harder to break even with as the cards do not realize the higher hobby prices.2 hits per case is nice though.Overall i like the quality and voted for the cup with dominion not far behind.I am disappointed that you can’t buy the cup or new upper deck over the border as i have done for many years from my favorite dealer.

Posted September 23, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink
T Roy

Wait a year or two and Dominion will blow Cup away. More cards per pack, and when you sign a contract with the NHL to receive equipment from teams, you get equal treatment from each team. It’s all controlled by the NHL. UD f%&ked up the trading card business big time. You see very little trading as you did 30 year ago. It all goes to eBay for top dollar prices. A shame, and a scheme to be become a monopoly.

Posted September 24, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink
Dustin

i also prefer the cup because they have a premium product. Dominion is new to the league and will probably step it up in a few years, but for now i vote the cup all the way. Way better patches and even the base cards look better

Posted September 24, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink
Kevin Graves

I like the cup card because it is brighter and it seems more action packed than dominion. The jersey on dominion is boring also. With the cup jersey, the numbers are in bold red, white, and blue.

Posted September 24, 2011 at 11:42 pm | Permalink
Nick Newton

I am choosing 2010-2011 Upper Deck The Cup. I like patch better on The Cup Subban then the Dominion Subban in the pictures provided. With all the breaks I have seen I like The Cup cards better. I have seen more color schemes in the patches then for the Dominion cards. I prefer The Cup over Dominion.

Posted September 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink
Kevin Klym

The Cup just looks so beautiful, and you can’t beat the qaulity of cards they have in the packs. Alot of effort and care was put into The Cup series and it really shows, and it definitely doesn’t disappoint.

Posted September 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

i prefer the cup because you can get get beautiful patches and jerseys cards.also,you could get very nice autographed cards.i like the cup over dominion because it is bolder,brighter,and more colorful than dominion.the cup has the fizzas that people look for on their patches and even the base cards.that is why i prefer the cup over dominion

Posted September 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink
Lloyd Hannesson

I choose The Cup. While Panini’s first attempt is nice, I much prefer the look of the Cup’s base cards and inserts. When buying a premium product, even the base card set should be worthy of encasement in some serious plastic, and Panini’s are far too chunky. I do love the wooden box however ;)

Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:32 am | Permalink
Jonathan Martin

I have already entered, but I was wondering if you were going to update this page to let people know when the draw will occur… I would absolutely LOVE to become the new owner of that Dominion card!! ;)

Thanks!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:58 am | Permalink
chrisolds

I believe the contest is going to be opened up to readers of Beckett Hockey magazine, which means it will be a while.

However, I am not 100 percent certain.

Posted September 28, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink
Sylvain Vézina

For me no competition exist between The cup and Dominion!!!
The cup is far away from Dominion!!

But Thank you Dominion for a nice try this year!!!

Posted September 28, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink
Dwayne Hirtle

I myself couldn’t afford either one, but would have to go with The Cup.

I think that the cards have a better design and seem to have better patches. For the first time out though, I have to hand it to Panini for giving a good effort. I guess we’ll have to see what next year brings.

I just wish that each company could put at least the value of the pack price into their packs. This way anything above the pack price is just “gravy”. It seems like a real let down when you see the packs opened at $400-$500 per pack and you might only get $200-$300 out of it.

Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink
Ross Owen

I’ll have to go with the Cup this year. Upper Deck just has that consistency in their product that Panini has yet to match. Panini does have good ideas tho! the engravings for instance yeah thats a cool idea but the only thing is as a collector I know I’d want something that actually has some relation to a player or a game much how patches, autographs especially and various memorabilia. Also. Showcase showdown cards are neat but when you’re opening a product as expensive as dominion is you’ll want autographs too. The cup Delivers what dominion does for the most part with more consistency and quality. The cup is a beautiful product once again! Way to go Upper Deck!

Posted October 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink
Jason Bressler

I voted for “The Cup”

I just feel after opening a case of both products that the overall look and design of the cards from “The Cup” were a step above Dominion. Which is really tough for me to say since I love National Treasures FB and think Exquisite is one of the worst products out there. Plus until Dominion gets “the big three” (Gretzky/Orr/Howe) as autos in the product, they will always be a step behind.

Posted October 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Permalink
Andrew Cosley

I voted for “The Cup”

I myself have never opened a box of either products but I have watched each of them be opened countless times and from what I can see is that they are both high end products but when it comes down to which is better I feel that The Cup has a better look and all around better product. Although this doesn’t mean dominion is a bad product. I think I’d be satisfied with either product but maybe just a little more satisfied with The Cup.

Posted October 10, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I haven’t collected cards in about 15 years and in the past 5 days…decided to restart. Hours on ebay and lots of forum reads, i did a mini crash course on card values. So far I’ve bought $1200 in Hall, Eberle and the odd Schenn. I’m tempted to invest in Subban but think he might be a fad, besides, when was the last time a defenceman card held value. From what’s I’ve seen in the short time back, Dominion has the highest priced value rookie/swatch/auto cards at about $3k for Subban. Where as The Cup has more valued cards but nothing that maxes as high as Dominion. But since i don’t have faith that Subban’s card is really worth that, i will got with THE CUP.

Canada

Posted October 11, 2011 at 3:51 am | Permalink
Scott

After opening both products this year. I WILL NEVER OPEN ANOTHER PANINI PRODUCT again.

DON’T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Permalink
Jason Anderson

I prefer Dominion over Cup. Dominion has better RC, the patch are huge and sweeter than the cup… and this is what collectors have been asking for many years. The Dominion RC has a lesser print run than the cup RC, and the wooden box is nicer than the cheap tin. Overall, 5 Stars for me on Dominion.

Posted October 17, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

bang for the buck is what i look for and the cup has it over dominion. although the subban card is value loaded i like the fact that the cup yields value without breaking the bank. the cup is wussup!

Posted October 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink
Mark Collins

Redemptions? Shame on you Paninni. Cup wins hands down!!

Posted October 26, 2011 at 6:30 am | Permalink
Jeff o

Cup is cool and the rookie cards are worth much more, but enjoyed the breadth of the veteran autos and the newness of Dominion… Will likely go back to the Cup next year, but did think it was a decent start from Dominion… But also agree they have to find a way to get “The Great One” and the other two to compete going forward

Posted October 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink
Chardcore

I perfer Dominion. $100 cheaper and more hits. Way bigger Rookie patches, welldone new concept cards. Better patches. Better player selection from the players I collect, and no Oldtimer game memoribillia passed of as memoribillia used in an NHL game that the guy is pictured in on the cards. Less redemptions. This seems handsdown to me in so many many ways.

Posted November 1, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink
Jeff

The cup by far is better than any Panini product. Every Panini product I have opened has not been good. Even if it were half the price it would still be overpriced. Don’t know what Panini needs to do to make its porducts better, but they need some serious thought.

Posted November 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink
Trevor Crawford

Hands down The Cup! The cards are beautiful, and like many others have previously stated, so are the multicolored patches. I’ve purchased dozens of tins of the cup, and have been very pleased with the pulls i received. From 1 of 1′s, to one of tons, The Cup is my winner!

Posted January 3, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink
Dwight Foster

O.K., so I was enticed (sucked in) by all the hype and hoop-la of the Panini Dominion product. Seeing the MSRP, I thought they sure were sticking them out, pricing them in the ballpark of the big boy on the block, The Cup. The Cup has never disappointed regardless of the added expense and lesser cards per pack than Dominion. So far, I have purchased over two cases of Dominion (~13, maybe 14 boxes). Now if someone offered me 8 boxes of factory sealed the Cup for all of my Panini boxes all sitting in their original boxes, exact content/configuration of cards, including redemptions, I would jump at it even though I would be losing up-front costs of about $800.00. The “wow” factor was sparse, post box-break excitement was virtually non-existant with a few “ooohs, and “heys”. If I had to pick a word for the experience, I would have to say “disappointed”; actually extremely disappointed would be a better descriptor. Using overall quality of cards/memorabilia, “big” hits, the promises and claims vs. deliverables, and really go no further than the re-sale of cards from broken boxes and the answer is pretty clear amongst the collector community as well. This product should have sold for no more than $220/box or about $22-27 a card. I think of all The Cup, or for that matter, the ITG 11th Edition Ultimate Memorabilia I could have have and I cringe. Yes – I’ve got buyer’s remorse! But I promise to be more cautious in the future when all the hype comes down the proverbial pipe. I’ll wait until they bust open, float around for a while, read the reviews, buy a few big hits, before I dive in head first again. Hey, I got a lot of nice blue cigar boxes for sale folks.
Dwitbuddy

Posted January 13, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink
Derek Patterson

The Cup definitely. The product has the best patch rookie cards I’ve seen.

Posted January 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink
Ben

The Cup wins although Dominion had a nice rookie entry. The 2010-11 design is one of the best ever and the inclusion of Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr make it a more desirable set. While the number of creative subsets in Dominion also makes it a fun pack to open, the most common autographed card in dominion is the signed base cards (with different variations, i.e. Ruby). Unfortunately, these cards don’t stand out as they are often dark sharpie pen on dark backgrounds. The average autographed card in the Cup, whether a rookie, or an insert set is striking. Also, to compare similar subsets, the Cup’s Limited Logos is simply the best set in all sports with awesome patches PLUS on-card signatures, and a checklist that includes all the top rookies and Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. It’s analogue in Dominion, Peerless Patches is a great set but doesn’t have the signatures.

The only negative for the Cup, in my mind, is that so many of the bigger hits were redemptions this year. Crosby, Gretzky, Hall and Ovechkin mostly did not sign by the time of packaging. Although most have signed by now.

Love both and am excited for the next editions with RNH!

Posted January 27, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink
rui salvador

Rui Salvador
rui@nbnet.nb.ca
Dominion
Love the 20 /99 rookies,Brass Bonanza has the potential to be the best subset out there every year…it’s an initial release while it’s just another year of the cup

Posted January 28, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Permalink