Ripping Retail: One scam to watch for

Beckett Baseball‘s Chris Olds shows you one scam that recently got a Beckett employee when he bought a box at retail.

Inside his box of 2010 Topps Allen & Ginter baseball cards he finds … 1991 Stadium Club.

Needless to say, it didn’t come this way from Topps.

Watch it so it doesn’t happen to you …

Shimey

This happened to me once. But they didnt replace the cards, the just bought the box, opened the ends took out the hit (if there was one) and then resealed the box. They didnt even reseal the packs. I took the box back to the store and explained to them what was going on, I also explained to them what to look out for and why they really should never accept this stuff back. It should go on their “do not return to store list”.. I never understood why stores takes these back anyway..if there is a problem with the box the collector will just contact the company…Funny thing is now i work for the store that it happened to me at and I still tell them what to do bout the packsearchers..one guy actually got kicked out for searching …lol

Posted August 31, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink
Kevin

I had a similar experience with 2 blaster boxes of ’07 Topps a few years back. The packs were sealed but all packs in the box contanined the same 5-6 cards, all commons. The bonus pack that was supposed to have Heritage style cards was replaced with a sandwich bag full of 1987 commons.

The Walmart I bought it from took them back. One of the manegers was at the return desk and told me she had an idea who do it. A customer had just returned bucnh of blasters a few days before. She told me she was handing it over to the police.

That is when I learned to always look for the little blue Topps logo on the shrink wrap.

Posted August 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink
Terry Kwentus

Absolutely Disgusting! So many collectors dont have a LCS in town and must rely on Wal Mart, Target, etc. to purchase their cards. How many kids get their cards when shopping with Mom and Dad only to have this happen to them? Like I said, Absolutely Disgusting!

Posted August 31, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink
Darin

One time I bought a box of Press Pass Footbal, that was supposed to guarentee an autograph. Once I started opening the blaster, luckily in the cafe at the store, I realized something was fishy, the cellophane was partially ripped, and the packs clearly tampered with. I pulled a Base Josh Freeman from the actual set, with a fake autograph on it. They pulled the real auto, and signed a base card to count as the “auto”. Target did take it back for me, It proabably helped that I told them i never left the store with it. I was at walmart recently and I looked at the Topps Lineage blasters, and all had the cellophane on the bottom ripped, I assumed they pulled out the relic cards right there in the aisle. This was a good reminder for people from chris, definitley don’t plunk your $20 down without looking very close at the box. And perhaps like I did open it at the store in the cafe, It can’t hurt.

Posted August 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

That’s Messed up…

Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Permalink
Greg

This has happened to me several times at different retailers. The shrinkwrap on the repackaged boxes even had the Topps logo on it. I’ve noticed that repackaged boxes are often taped shut before they are re-shrinkwrapped, so I’ve watched for this before buying, especially on boxes of products that are a year or more old.

Posted August 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Permalink