Ongoing gallery: Visuals from day two at the NSCC

By Andrew Tolentino | Editor

With The National now in full swing  and officially under way, the throng is strong today.

And for good reason, too.

As if the massive array of memorabilia and the star power penning signatures at the autograph pavilion wasn’t enough, show goers are swooning over the first celebrity sighting. It’s not even noon in Rosemont, Ill. and Dr. J (Julius Erving) is in the building.

As promised, above is the second ongoing installment from our five-day pilgrimage to the hobby mecca. We’ll be updating this gallery as we go today, so stay tuned for more stellar sights from the scene.

dante

Well kinda glad I didn’t go. From a card collector standpoint and from what I see in the pics, it looks like a flea market with a bunch of crap loaded up to sell. Unless these pics are that bad. IDK. Not many high end cards shown or even mid end cards…..The best thing I saw was the Rock’em Sock’em game!

Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink
Paul

I think its pretty cool. Looks like quite a bit of game used memorabilia and good deals too… Set of Jeter practice/game used gloves for $350.. I know lots of people who would take that deal. Big name card suppliers looked pretty stocked, but I can just as easily get cards here. Overall I think they’ll have to do better if they want people to travel to get to this.

Posted August 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Great pictures. Shows there is more to the sports collecting hobby than just cards. In this great hobby there are many people with many different interests. I would like to see a couple of pictures showing baseball memorabilia from the turn of the century.

Posted August 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
Paul

I agree with Charlie, we are not getting to see the goods.

Posted August 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

My first non junk wax purchases were cards from the 1800s. I’ll have some pics here for you guys soon …

Posted August 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Permalink
Toro

[q]From a card collector standpoint and from what I see in the pics, it looks like a flea market with a bunch of crap loaded up to sell.[q]

What did you expect? A red carpet, champagne and tables made of European cut marble? Oh wait, giant glass display cases with bulletproof glass and armed security guards? No, alright, what about all retired players in all sports to be sitting at tables? I get one more guess, Justin Beiber?

Posted August 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink