First look: 2011 Topps American Pie

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

The Pie is back.

After nearly a decade since its last go, Topps has revived its American Pie line of cards as it unveiled the first glimpses at the non-sports set that will celebrate pop culture and personalities when it arrives on Dec. 14.

While the set was largely a baseball release with history and pop culture inside it in the past, this time American Pie is largely everything but sports — a 200-card base set of historic moments, places and people who helped defined the times. Each 24-pack hobby box will include three autograph or Relic cards as well as a buyback past Topps card.

There will be a parallel card or an insert in every pack with the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Fads and Fashions and Hirsute History (yep, notable hairstyles) among the insert sets.

Some of the notable signers for the product will include Mickey Rooney, Jimmie Walker, Bob Costas, Charlie Sheen, Chris Hansen, Kato Kaelin, Tom Arnold, Tia Carrere, Henry Winkler, Sean Astin, Carmen Electra, Jack Hanna, Naomi Judd, Susan Lucci, Chynna Phillips, Bret Michaels, Jeffrey Ross, Wilmer Valderama, Paul Teutul Sr., Gilbert Gottfried, Dean Cain, Billy Baldwin, Joey Fatone and more.

There will be 40 celebrity autographs to be found with 200 copies of each card, while Sheen will be on a limited 60th anniversary card as seen above. There also will be buyback autographs, cut signatures, dual cuts and quad cuts. Autographed Relics also will be found, each limited to 50 copies, while cut signature Relics will be 1/1s — as are all cut autographs in the product.

The Relic lineup will include swatches of clothing from the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Walk of Fame patch cards, stamp Relics, coin Relics  and more.

Hollywood sign letter patches will be found as single letters while there will be fold-out booklets as well for all 25 celebrities featured. The Walk of Fame set will feature 25 stars who were honored with each of those cards limited to 50 copies.

The American Pie Relics will include 50 subjects, while an American Pie Stamp Collection Relic set will showcase a person along with a stamp from the year they were born.  The same approach will be used for 75 people with coin Relics but each one will be found with penny, nickel, dime, quarter and 50-cent piece versions. All of those cards will be limited to just 76 copies.

BigGuy219

Honestly. Other than Charlie Sheen is there one person on that list who is a celebrity or even relevant?

It’s like my grandmother made the checklist, and she died in 2005.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Permalink
John

If that Charlie Sheen card is legit, it’s probably gonna go for a crazy amount of money.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Permalink
JC

I agree with bigguy. Who is this Jimi Hendrix character? No one has ever heard of him! Certainly never been relevant!

Seriously though, I would never buy this pile of crap product, but I will buy that Hendrix card if I see on the ‘Bay.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
Richard

I will likely buy selected items from this set, but I can’t see cracking it.
Any set where Bill Baldwin is considered a notable signature… Oy.

The only cards likely to pay for a box would be the Sheen or one of the cuts.
If the highlight is the Randal + Klugman, it won’t even be that.

I like a lot of the “stars” here but their auto cards are readily available from Leaf Pop century
and the like.

The sets are nice, but will be available for a fraction of the cost of the box.
A 2001 set recently sold for $7 plus shipping.

The non-sports buy backs were popular, but I don’t

Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink
steve archer

seriously……..who is this “Jimi Hendrix” cat ??

if we as consumers dont like something (like how I shouldve researcher the 2011 Topps Lineage BB product….before wasting a hundred bucks on it !!), then we should just NOT buy it !!

Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Sticker autographs and manufactured autographs = NOT Winning.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Sticker autographs and manufactured letter patches = NOT Winning.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

the only card i would want is the “World Wide Web” Card… yes, I Am A Computer nerd…

Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink
Kreepy

Sick… American Pie has always been one of my favorite sets..cant wait for it…looks like im stocking up.

Bigguy really has no clue what he is talking bout. Bob Costas, Hendrix, Hanna, Elecktra and etc were never relavant to anything… lol.. That initial list is amazing…I can’t wait.

Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink
Michael

I want that Hendrix!

Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink
jeremy hanson

Hendrix!!! I will not buy any product that is not 100% sport related. I will be placing a nice bid on a Hendrix card on the secondary market.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink
Walter Peoples

Wow I can’t beleive you all never heard of Jimi Hendrix. He is one of the greatest guitatrist of all-time. He died very young but considered to be one of the greatest. You all should check him out. As far as for the product. I dont care for it and dont buy to many boxes any more, but did buy both of the 2011 Leaf Draft Products.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 6:15 am | Permalink
KZED

Wow. I just read about Panini’s Americana set and thought THAT was a steaming pile of worthless. Thanks for correcting me..WHO THOUGHT OF THIS????? KATO KAELIN??? AN INTERNET CARD?? Those cards shouldn’t spell H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D, it should read P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C…..

Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:01 am | Permalink
Kevin Reid

#crap

Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink
Edward

Charlie Sheen autograph ? What is next, a Madoff autograph? Tasteless imo. I will pass.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink
Edward

I like to see a set of celebrities autographs that have done great things for society, not some “has been” actor, who is a getting his last 15 mins of fame. I would collect that.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink
Matt

If Sheen had written “duh, winning” then I would be interested.

Posted August 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Thinking there might have been a *touch* of sarcasm about Hendrix.

At least I hope that’s the case…

Posted August 14, 2011 at 10:43 am | Permalink
Geoff

What is wrong with everyone? this set looks pretty sweet! Lots of big name signers on the preview list. My only concern would be how tough are they to pull.

There are plenty of cool hits in this product, Mickey Rooney, Charlie Sheen and the like…

You can’t EVER base a product on resale value…that’s NOT the point. Collecting and enjoying the cards is what COLLECTING is all about.

just my 2 cents, don’t knock it till ya try it!

Geoff

Posted August 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Permalink
Jeff

ITT, BigGuy has never heard of anyone who didn’t do something famous in 2011

Posted August 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink
Matt

I would love to get my hands on the Hendrix card. He’s awsome!!!

Posted August 15, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
dodger fan

i would love the meet the person that would enjoy pulling a sean austin manufactured patch card so i could beat the crap out of them. stick to baseball

and stop all the dumb insterts..its ruining the business

Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Permalink
spineguy

I’m freaking appalled at this pile of steaming crap Topps is trying to unload on us. Some people will buy anything I guess. I’ll stick to vintage sports cards without all the “added on” junk that supposedly makes them worth more. There is just something about a very good graded Mickey Mantle card that brings me back to better days!

From mod: It’s NOT a sports set …

Posted August 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Permalink
Edward

Here are some autos that I would pay to get, M Damon, A Jolie, N Kidman, B Pitt, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Transformers 3 actress and Victoria’s Secret model), D “The Rock” Johnson, A Bourdain. Those are just a few. Their signing fee may be up there, probably the reason why Topps can’t get them, so no wonder they opted for C Sheen. As much as the endless joke possibilities on him, I just think broadening the autos with some actors/actresses/celebrities will add more appeal to collectors, not to a say Costas isn’t appealing…well back in the 90s when he heavily commented on the NBC basketball games lol!

Posted August 21, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink
chad morris

I just pulled a 1/1 american pie cut signature of Richard Nixon. It has his autograph and a piece of the white house floor. Only one made. Any ideas how much its worth?

Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:48 pm | Permalink
michael

I HAVE BOUGHT 20 RETAIL BOXES AND I CAN’T FIND 5 CARDS TO FINISH SET 11,17,85,130,135. DO THESE CARDS EVEN EXIST?

Posted January 13, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink
Al

Has anyone pulled a President cut auto?

Posted February 15, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink