Never tell me the odds: 2011 Goodwin Champions autographs & memorabilia

By Chris Olds | Baseball Editor

This year’s Goodwin Champions set from Upper Deck has arrived packing a ton of athletes from all sports into its packs.

The eclectic mix includes plenty of autographs and memorabilia as well as some other surprises. We’ll have more in a future Box Busters, but the company did release odds and groupings for its autographs, which might come in handy for some wondering what’s tough and what’s not.

There are some tough pulls out there — that might not seem like it on the auction block. Unlike Han Solo, you might want to know the odds so you can find a steal or two.

See it all after the jump…

AUTOGRAPHS (overall odds 1:20 hobby; 84 total cards)

GROUP A (1:1,577 hobby)

A-PE Carlos Perez
A-PL Pierre Lueders
A-PT Peter Tago
A-RM Ramon Morla
A-RY Robinson Yambati
A-YV Yordano Ventura

MEMORABILIA (overall 1:13 hobby; 51 cards)

GROUP A (1:14,613 hobby)

M-MM Manny Machado
M-NG Natalie Gulbis
M-PT Peter Tago
M-RB Ray Bourque
M-RW Russell Westbrook
M-TA John Tavares

MEMORABILIA DUAL-SWATCH VARIATIONS (overall 1:320 hobby; 11 cards)

GROUP A (1:87,680 hobby)

M2-MJ Michael Jordan
M2-SC Sidney Crosby

GROUP E (1:585 hobby)
M2-JM Johnny Miller
M2-LJ LeBron James
M2-MM Manny Machado

MUSEUM COLLECTION RELICS (overall 1:2,237 hobby; nine cards)
GROUP A (1:54,800 hobby)
MR-AL Abraham Lincoln (Desk)
MR-AO Annie Oakley (Gun Handle)
MR-WHP The White House (Plaque)

GROUP B (1:16,237 hobby)
MR-NB Napoleon Bonaparte (Chair)
MR-WHB The White House (Wood)

GROUP C (1:6,959 hobby)
MR-LBJ Lyndon B. Johnson (Jacket)
MR-LN Lord Horatio Nelson (Battle Flag)
MR-SS Spirit of St. Louis (Medical Gauze)

GROUP D (1:4,473 hobby)
MR-EV Edward VIII (Handkerchief)

Todd

wow. this set is beyond retarded.

poor upper deck, going downhill FAST

Posted July 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink
Joe Abrams

Spirit of St. Louis (Medical Gauze) WTF!!!!!! Is this a joke???

Posted July 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink
Kreepy

WOW and to think my box has a Wie auto, Drexler mem and Matt DRonski mem.. SICK BOX

Posted July 1, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink
mad russian 74

I got two jersey cards and nothing else – not the “3 hits” per box…..

I hope the Parkhurst Champions/Champs cards, inserts and autographs are better than Goodwin – I’m disappointed.

Posted July 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink
s kashner

please give panini a baseball license, this stuff is just a waste. will buy everything i collect for less than hundred dollars. how can u keep selling product like this for 90 to 110 a box before people say enough. by the way no mention on the hand painted president cards or the entomology redemption cards. if they are like the other stuff, gota be like 1 in 20,000 pks

Posted July 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

2009 Goodwin Champions was a huge success in my store. We sold through two cases in just a few hours. 2011 Goodwin Champions content is even better. Autograph and memorabilia content blows away any other product that retails for less than $100.

Posted July 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Permalink
Josh

Yeah, its so retarded it looks almost like Ginter.

Posted July 1, 2011 at 10:32 pm | Permalink
ryan

so when it says hobby next to the odds does that mean you can only get those odds in hobby boxes what is it for retail or blaster boxes or does this product just have hobby

Posted July 2, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink
JC

Why would ANYONE buy this? This has to be the worst product of the year…… again.

Posted July 2, 2011 at 8:36 am | Permalink
Richard

Thing is, the odds of Getting A Jordan or Crosby auto are relatively reasonable.

Posted July 2, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink
Mark

The most disappointing odds for me were the minis falling 1:2 hobby. That’s only 10 minis per hobby box. I did get a Clyde Drexler Magician mini (SN 9/9) so I shouldn’t complain too much.

Posted July 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

I busted a few packs at the LCS today… got a Giant Panda patch and some basketball people I don’t care about. And a horse die-cut… can’t forget the horse die-cut.

Posted July 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Permalink
chris bradley

My box was pretty good.My 3 hits was a Earl Campbell powder blue Oilers jersey,Tyson Gay auto and the big hit was the one a case Entomology card.

Posted July 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

A horse die-cut?? Oh boy gotta bust some now!!

Posted July 3, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink
ssbledsoe

The one negative thing I can say about Goodwin is the photography. The photography in this product reminds me of the early 90’s “Studio Baseball”. I realize it’s due to UD’s licensing issues, but they could have done better… Other than that, I think it’s a great product. On-card autos with a GREAT checklist. Definitely a breakaway from the typical products that throw in 100 useless autos for every decent rookie or veteran auto. As mentioned above, the odds of getting a good to great auto is much better than other products; AND in an $80-85 a box product. Not saying UD is perfect (see the trash from Legendary Cuts), but this a very nice product.

Posted July 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Permalink
Art Vandelay

I think people buy these products because for the price no matter what happens you don’t feel like you’ve been wallet raped. Plus decent odds on some nice hits and NO STICKER AUTOS.

Posted July 4, 2011 at 8:37 am | Permalink
Thomas Capps

Might Be Ok…I have wanted a M.J. auto since 92′ Upper Deck Baseball and these odds are way better than that….But Only if the price is right Im thinking 79.99

Posted July 4, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink
Thomas Capps

Imeant Basketball

Posted July 4, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink
Dave Johnson

This set looks like Beckett talking to Upper Deck to encourage them to produce a set of cards across all sports so people will have to buy subscriptions to all the different sports (or total access) just to see what they are worth.

From mod: Um. nope …

Posted July 4, 2011 at 11:09 am | Permalink
The B-Man

Interesting Fact: You do not have to buy this product. You all complain about how bad it is, but you know how to make a cash strapped company like Upper Deck sweat? By making the product sit on the shelf. Oh my god, I didn’t get a Michael Jordan or Ken Griffey autograph out of the box, it must be garbage. How do you guys not realize that opening boxes is 95 percent garbage with the occasional bright spot you can slap on Ebay. If you don’t like the game, don’t play. The rules were established long before you, and will still be there long after you’ve given up collecting.

Posted July 4, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Permalink
Matthew Gilman

I havent gotten any yet, but i think this looks like a great set. The design is awesome, and i like the chances of being able to get unique pieces. This sets an example of why Upper Deck needs their licenses back to make this hobby a better place.

Posted July 5, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink
JC

@ The B_Man:

At least when I get a bad box of other stuff, I get something better than “animal patches” for hits…

This stuff is awful, positively AWFUL.

Posted July 5, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink
guy munkelwitz

GOODWIN CHAMPIONS 2011 IS GREATTTTTTTTTTTTT UD IS NOT GOING DOWN HILL THIS IS GREAT CARDS AND THIS IS THE FRIST SET I WILL PUT TOGETHERE

Posted July 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink
brattleboro collector

don’t like it, don’t buy it i always say. although just the fact that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg is not a reason to buy; i do prefer autos on card, and have been hoping UD will get their license back for the simple reason that i HATE monopolies. right now topps reminds me of exxon mobil or something! give someone else a try! where score at, my brothers? i miss the 80’s and 90’s when we had topps, upper deck, donruss and score all competing to make the best product. great competion begets great cards and designs! just as long as they don’t over-produce them.

Posted July 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink
brattleboro collector

also, just so my peeps know, you don’t need a subscription to all the different becketts to get the prices for this product. all the cards are priced in the baseball script. props, guys!

Posted July 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
KZED

Ended up buying 3 boxes so far. This stuff is really kinda cool. I’m glad they stopped trying to call this a baseball product, and filled it with actually interesting stuff. Too bad most of my hits were still baseball, was hoping for more of a mix..

Posted July 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink
PEter

I bought a box and got a permanent ‘SUCKER’ tattooed on my face….$75 gone on one hobby box and my 1 Hit (yes I received only 1!) was a 3-toed Sloth manufactured patch! Super pissed at UD

Posted July 6, 2011 at 10:53 am | Permalink
andrew

I love the museum relics.

Posted July 7, 2011 at 8:55 am | Permalink
mike baldwin

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones- I got a plain auto, plus an African Elephant, and my HIT was Bill Clinton masterpiece. SWEET!!!!!!

Posted July 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink
benitez

i like the Napoleon Bonaparte (Chair)

Posted July 19, 2011 at 3:09 am | Permalink
Zack

Ryan, there are retail blaster boxes, they have 12 packs with 4 cards apiece – listed odds per pack on the box are mini cards 1:2, 1:96 Memorabilia, and 1:480 Autograph. With 12 packs per box, that leaves odds of 1:8 retail boxes will have a memorabilia card and I:40 will have an autograph card.

I’ve picked up both a hobby box and a retail box – the hobby box had one autograph (in the 1:35 range) and 2 memorabilia cards (both in the 1:31 range) as well as the minis and a champion of sport die cut. Because I liked the regular and mini cards and wanted to get some more of them at a lower price than another hobby box, I got a retail pack. The retail box had a memorabilia card (in the 1:31 hobby range), 6 minis, and a Champions of Sport die cut card (whose odds are not even listed on the retail packs but were listed as one per box in the hobby packs).

This may well be my favorite set of 2011 so far (my favorite of 2010 was Topps Magic Football). I can see why it may not be for everyone with the off field portrait approach and the fact that you might be getting autographs or memorabilia cards from niche sports, but I like it and that is what really counts.

Posted July 24, 2011 at 8:04 am | Permalink

I just opened a case for christmas. One of the best ever. Besides the lou brock and soccer autos I pulled Lebron James Auto, 2 boxes later the entomology card. Last box was the Michale Jordan Auto. The case was 860 when I bought it. I kept the Jordan, James, Entomology, Brock and Tiger Woods Shirt Card. I parceled the rest on ebay minis jerseys autos soccer players and got 600 back. Thats a good deal. Topps acts like a monopoly and every Panini product is like buying a Fiat.

Posted January 5, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Folks who are frustrated by Goodwin Champions must love American Pie. Imagine ! A piece of grass from Dallas, a piece of rock from the Statue of Liberty island, a piece of dirt from the Lewis and Clark trail and where exactly did the wood come from at Gettysburg ? a prosthetic limb ? I’m disappointed. I thought they would include a talking card that you open up and Keith Olbermann goes on one of his rants. Goodwin is a classic compared to this stuff.

Posted January 9, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink