Box Busters Warmup: 2011 Bowman Platinum

Beckett Baseball’s Chris Olds picked up a box of 2011 Bowman Platinum on Wednesday, its street date, in advance of our Box Busters episode to come.

What will he find inside? Will he land a Bryce Harper?

Watch and find out.

Matthew Meyer

Harper is going to be a tougher pull this time around compared to the Bowman. You only get 1 prospect per pack (20 in a box). So you only have a 1 in 5 box chance.

Posted July 28, 2011 at 5:29 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Ah, man… I figured it was a conspiracy!

Posted July 28, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink
Richard

Someone did manage to sell a redemption for $999, or at least there is a closed auction.
Price then drops for some #’d parallels, and the redemption cards too.
Looks to be settling around $300 or so, though I expect it will be lower relatively soon
since he is not getting called up this year. Figure around $200 like Strasberg was, maybe
a bit higher since this is on card.

Posted July 28, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink
Jason B.

I’ll take that Chapman gold and those Reds! I got some A’s. I could let go.

Posted July 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink
Matthew Meyer

Yeah it looks like the redemptions are settling in at $350 and the in-hand autos are around $400-450.

Posted July 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Permalink
danny

why no mention of the changes to the autograph checklist

Posted July 28, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Because what you saw there was me seeing it all for the first time. I didn’t really look at checklists as I opened.

I contacted Topps for comment today — some specific questions about scenarios that might have prompted changes — but have not heard back. (And probably won’t.)

I’m betting that orders were lower than expected so stuff was taken out, but that’s purely a guess.

Posted July 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Permalink
moises

yeah i got no great hits out of my box got anderson feliz auto,leon landry auto,leo nunez auto bat relic- no harper best thing i got was a gold strasburg oh well

Posted July 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink
s kashner

when will topps make a product that you can talk posivite about? how about some competition someday (panini). you can only keep getting kicked in the head so many times before you say no more.

Posted July 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Permalink
Mariners 4 Life

WOW looks like every box I open up!!!

Posted July 31, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Permalink
Nathan Crandell

I bought a rack pack from Target, with the special purple inserts, and would you know it an autograph prospect and a purple Bryce Harper, I would say I definitely got my money back on that combo. All-in-all I love Bowman Platinum this year, very crisp and cool look.

Posted August 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink
Deacon

Personally, I really like this product this year. I bought a couple blasters, then bought a couple hobby boxes, and then ended up getting a few more blasters. I just put together a couple base sets. And I think I might be able to put together the prospect set of 100. I think that would be pretty cool. Well, I’ll probably be a couple short and have to search the “Bay,” but that’s no big deal; it’s part of the fun. Anyway, I think this product of one of Topp’s best this year. Some of their other stuff, I have not been too impressed with, especially for the price. Anyway, there is my $0.02.

Posted November 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink