Perfect Michael Jordan Rookie Card sells for $100,000

By Chris Olds | Basketball Editor

A Pristine copy of Michael Jordan‘s 1986-87 Fleer Rookie Card sold for six-figures in a Memory Lane Inc. sale Sunday evening.

The card, graded a 10 by Beckett Grading Services, fetched $100,000 in the Tustin, Calif.-based auction house’s Own it Now sale, which launched not long before the sale.

There are just three copies of the famed card graded as a BGS 10 out of more than 5,500 cards submitted. This particular copy was the first to receive the grade and once appeared on the cover of Beckett Basketball Card Plus, now Beckett Basketball, magazine. The card sold to a collector on the West Coast.

“It was the first time we had the opportunity to sell the card, and we are really happy with the sale,” said Stephanie Evans of Memory Lane. “It’s a landmark modern sale for us, and it just goes to show that when you have something as rare as a Beckett 10 come available, the demand still warrants six figures.”

The last known BGS 10 Jordan sale came in August 2009 when a collector paid $82,000 for this same card. It was reportedly sold for $150,000 in 2006. However, that sale never was confirmed. The card’s subgrades included 10s for its centering, edges and corners and a 9.5 for its surface condition.

The first BGS 9.5 copy of the Jordan RC went for $77,600 in a June 2003 deal. The Jordan RC is not the only high-profile BGS 10 of a 1980s icon to sell for big bucks in the last few years as a Joe Montana 1981 Topps RC sold for $65,880 in April 2009. That card carried the third-highest pricetag of any football card sale ever documented by Beckett Media.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Beckett Grading is “Number One.” Although I feel that Beckett grades a little harder than I would grade, I find Beckett Grading to be the most consistent of all grading services with respect to their grading standards. With all the bad people out there making fakes, Beckett Grading allows buyers to bid with confidence; and, this insures sellers get top dollar for their cards. I use Beckett Grading and would use no other.
Charlie DiPietro, Owner
Sports Cards Plus of San Antonio

Posted June 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink
Michael Marrufo

I just pick an 86-87 Fleer Jordan up lets hope its as good as this one

Posted June 7, 2011 at 10:51 am | Permalink
Johnny Johnson

i have a micheal jordan rookie card and is willing to sell it

Posted December 8, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink
johnny johnson

can anyone tell me where to sell 4 micheal jordan trading cards all are rookies and i have 50 more will sell all for 200,000 e-mail me johnnygb37@aol.com

Posted August 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink
Teresa Shoemaker

I have 2 of these cards in pristene condtion

Posted August 27, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink
Shane

How much is my Michael Jordan rookie card worth in okay condition

Posted October 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink
Asa

We found one of these in somebody swimming pool after hurricane sandy the card was water log

Posted November 18, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink
William Michel

Believe it or not I have the Micheal Jordan rookie card it only been touch by human hand twice someone want this call me or text me this is real 510 688-6640 I from Chicago big Jordan fan

Posted November 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink
Rikone kgkass

Rikone tag sold for 200,000 dollars.

Posted December 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink
Curtis March

I have a pristine Michael Jordan Rookie card and would like to sell it.

Posted January 5, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
Rich

I’d like to buy a Jordan rookie card.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink
Kevin

I have a michael Jordan rookie card and would love to sell it for the right price. I live in Chicago, I’m curious what an offer would be. Ksipp6@hotmail.com

Posted February 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink
Mike

I used to have A ball card shop, I managed to save one of many
Jordan rookie cards which I believe to be a 10 along with a first issue
Beckett basket ball guide signed by Jordan which was authenticated
By BP sports collectables in Atlanta ga, however I am fearful of mailing
It in to be graded, is there a safe way to insure you will get the same
Card back and where do you send to be graded? Please email
Response

Posted February 22, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink
fred hall

would like to know where i could take michael jordan rookie card to get graded?
Is a beckett place here somewhere in south florida? Thanks Fred Hall

Posted February 24, 2013 at 8:51 am | Permalink
Lance Euell

I have a Michael Jordan rookie card and would like to sell it also.

Posted March 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink
Kevin B

I have an 86-87 Jordan Fleer Rookie card. What can I do with it??? Been HARD cased since opened it!!

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink
wesevans@rocketmail.com

Wanting to buy a Michael Jordan rookie is good shape and grading only up to a 8.5. Can’t afford the 9 or 10 graded Jordan’s.

Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Michael Jordan 1985 1-12 Signed Basketball trading card. Napoleon (Larry) Lajoie Value 10,000 1933 Goudey Gum these trading cards amoungst many others are for sale. These Cards belong to Scott Marcucci. He’s looking to sell an entire box of cards all sports. Mobile # is 952-687-1914

Posted April 28, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink
norman taylor

my father have michael jordan cards.. binders of them i would like to know how much they are worth

Posted May 8, 2013 at 8:26 am | Permalink
James koons

Have micheal jordan card to sell

Posted May 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Permalink
Darius

I have an ’84-’85 Michael Jordan rookie card, and I am willing to sell it. Any buyers?

Posted June 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink
ken nixon

I have a michael jordan rookie upper deck card for sale contact at 912 422 4312

Posted June 25, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink
Stan smith

I have his rockie card in perfect condition looking to sell it but want to get it graded first if anyone is interested email me at. Hdboy2010@yahoo.com

Posted August 1, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Permalink
Lance Euell

I have a perfect condition Michael Jordan rookie and I am trying to sell it.

Posted August 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

My son have A card like that one help him and I sell it

Posted October 5, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink
amanda knowland

I got a Michel Jordan rookie card like to sell it call 1812 528 7555 and if interested in a derek Jeter rookie card ill it for thirty bucks call 1812 820 1712

Posted January 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink
Dominique Hicks

I have a fleer rookie MJ card still in the see through pack and I’m
willing to part ways with it. .

Posted January 10, 2014 at 6:24 am | Permalink
amanda knowland

I got rookie cards and alot of good ones call 1812 820 1715

Posted January 12, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink
Korey

I Have A Ok Michael Jordan Rookie Card I Would Like To Sell. I Had It For Over 20 Years In My Safe. Email If Interested. akriv007@gmail.com

Posted January 31, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink
Greg

I have the Jordan card sold here in great condition and I’m looking to sell it!!!

Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Permalink
Greg

I have this Michael Jordan card in great condition for sale it will be a great deal for someone that wants a MJ rookie call 740-497-8650

Posted March 6, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink
Realistic

I cannot believe all the people trying to push their crappy Jordan cards. Ever heard of ebay or amazon? If you really had the real deal, you would sell it the right way and not giving out your phone number to sell some poor fool your crappy card. Either you are desperate for contact, it is fake, or worthless. Sell them at a garage sale because that is what they are worth. The comment board is for comments, not your desperate attempt to rip someone off.

Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:23 am | Permalink
Rob

I have a BCCG Beckett grade 9 mint 86-87 Fleer Rookie just like this one, how much is that worth? And if anyone is interested in it email me an offer… Robshani@gmail.com

Posted March 10, 2014 at 11:08 pm | Permalink
kyle

i have the Michael Jordan Autographed Original Fleer Rookie Card Art il sell it for 24.0000

Posted March 11, 2014 at 7:05 am | Permalink
Ryan

I have this card in flawless condition. Just looking to get rid of it for a good price if anyone is interested. Need it gone soon. Send an email to thatchadwickguy@aol.com ASAP as it will be gone soon! :)

Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:53 pm | Permalink
kevin

Card is not perfect. It says so right on the card. Notice the 9.5 sub-grade. Is it worth $100,000? Absolutely not. If it had 4 perfect 10 sub grades then maybe. The card is also not even close to being his rookie as many Star cards were produced prior to the Fleer set. You could say this is his first basketball appearance by the Fleer corporation . This card is misstated in every way. It is neither perfect or the rookie card of Michael Jordan.

Posted April 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] : Beckett Tweet Previous post [...]

2. [...] An original pair of Air Jordan 1's might be considered a grail to some Jordan collectors but the holiest of all grails is the Michael Jordan rookie card. Recently, a Jordan rookie card went for $100,000 to a collector on the West Coast which shows how serious some collectors are about acquiring items to showcase. The card itself was rated a perfect 10 on Beckett's grading scale which is universally considered to be the toughest scale out there. Of the 5,500 rookie cards submitted, only three of them were graded a 10 on Beckett's scale. Previously, a collector paid $82,000 for the same card in August 2009. Stick with Jordans Daily for more Jordan memorabilia posts and check out the story in full detail over at Beckett. [...]