Box Busters: 2011 SP Legendary Cuts baseball cards

Join Beckett Baseball’s Brian Fleischer and Chris Olds as they rip into not one, not two but four boxes of 2011 SP Legendary Cuts baseball cards from Upper Deck in this latest episode of Box Busters.

What will they find inside? What card could end up in your collection?

Watch and find out …

chrisolds

How were the boxes? Here are the recent high and low sales, according to our analyst, without giving away the players’ names …
High Low
Player A/10 $65.89 $28.25
Player B/34 $28.81 $21.50
Player C/13 $98.51 $78.51
Player D/26 $23.50 $22.72

Posted June 15, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink
ssbledsoe

This looks like a “typical” break, which means unless you pull a big hit or someone you’re collecting, you’re going to take a harsh bath.

Posted June 16, 2011 at 9:44 am | Permalink
wampier

Yep… I pulled a commissioner.. @ 200 a box.

Posted June 16, 2011 at 10:49 am | Permalink
Dave Bertrand

For $1,000 worth of packs you pulled $216.71 worth of cards. Is this the Lenny Dykstra school of investing?

Posted June 16, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink
Brooks Bryant

Posted June 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
Corey Tams

I would say slightly below average. Player B & D weigh it down. Player C would probably be a nice break. I would say the others would be disappointing most likely.

Posted June 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I really like this product; however, eBay sales have been weak. I don’t believe this is a problem with the product, but a statement about not enough buyers to generate healthy competition in bidding. Except for high demand cards, “Buy it Now or Best Offer” has become the smartest way to sell cards on eBay. A large part of the problem is the economy. However, this is a product with only a total of 8399 boxes (I did a count from the checklist) and all autographs numbered to 37 or less.

These are autographs that once sold for 3 times what they currently sell for on eBay. I thought there were enough collectors (the end of the food chain in this great hobby) to generate reasonable sales for such a limited product. Apparently, I underestimated the depth of the problem. We need more people at the end of the food chain. We need to bring back lost collectors and cultivate new enthusiastic people for this hobby. However, this is a huge issue which can not be solved in twenty-five words or less.

A smart person would hold on to these autographs/unopen product for better days. The card manufacturers are doing the right things (reduced product volumns and made changes to distribution) to maintain the value of their unopen products. Individuals who open product need to handle cards as they do any other investment. Timing is everything. Did these sellers really need to dump the product to recoop $25 on their $230 (current box price on the internet) investment? If you don’t like what you pull, work a trade with someone who wants the card more than you do. I believe that makes more sense.

Charlie DiPietro, Owner
Sports Cards Plus

Posted June 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink
damagden

The first let down of this product, is the QA control. Second is the price. Yeah you can pull a huge card, but the odds are crazy. Ud is losing it’s small edge on the card market as far as baseball goes.

Posted June 18, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink
BrianFleischer

“so, there is a case hit in every 5 box case,they didn’t get it in those 4, I wonder why they didnt open it on camera?”

We only got four boxes. I was mistaken when I called it it a case. You are correct that they are five-box cases.

Posted June 20, 2011 at 10:23 am | Permalink
Kev

Did anyone see the Murderer’s Row 1/1, it’s sweet, Abe Lincoln, Kennedy’s, best true hit left is probably a George Washington unless they got a booklet with say 500 hr club booklet, the ones that are dead, retired or is out of baseball. Haven’t seen a Wagner, Cobb or Mantle get pulled yet.

Posted July 9, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Permalink