Short Punch Cards pack hits inside greeting cards

By Chris Olds | Baseball Editor

If you’re shopping for a collector, you know it can be a challenge finding what you want in the card aisle of a retail store or in the various parts of a local card shop.

But Short Punch Cards just might make pleasing that collector of yours happy — or at least offer a pack-like busting fix as a smaller gift while perhaps offering up a greeting along with some cold, hard cash or a gift card.

What are they? Greeting cards with an autograph or memorabilia card inside. You simply pull a tab to reveal a trading card that is enclosed inside the card.

“We are the only company who has sought a patent for the process of inserting a certified autographed or game-used memorabilia card into the greeting card,” said Michael LaFrance, owner of Ashburnham, Mass.-based Behaveya Cards, which produces Short Punch. “Many people just don’t know how the trading card industry evolved over the years.”

Short Punch Cards are available for the four major sports — baseball, football, basketball and hockey — and carry a suggested retail price of $8.95 per card and are sold in 12-packs to retailers. Each pack, err card, will have either an autograph or memorabilia card for its sport inside its tamper-proof packaging.

The cards are printed in the United States, LaFrance noted, with paper artwork made in Maine, paper made in New York and printing done in Massachusetts.

LaFrance believes that the cards are the “most unique giftable birthday card on the market today” — and they’re certainly one of very few that cater to the card-collecting masses.

“We feel that these cards are perfect for the industry today,” LaFrance said. “I expect that folks seeing these game-used or autographed cards may generate interest among past collectors. How many collectors just stepped away from the hobby after the mass-production and before the innovation of these types of cards? I imagine it’s countless.”

To see what one of these cards is all about, watch the video below …

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Ronald Doucette

That’s really cool!! Gotta tell anybody that ever plans on buying me a card about these lol.

Posted May 12, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink
Andrew Skipton

These look really cool i would love to get one for my birthday!

Posted May 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink
Nick Landry

Where can you get these?

Posted May 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Dude. That’s freaking awesome. Or should I say “puckin’ awesome?” I so want one of those for my birthday….

Posted May 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink
Teresa Swift

Does anyone know what retailers will carry these cards? Great idea. I would love to give and receive as birthday cards!

Posted May 12, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink
Curtis Cole

This is an idea that was a long time coming. Totally awesome and very unique. I know I’ll be purchasing some as they become available.

Posted May 12, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
JetFan

What an awesome idea….. I got some of these cards for my nephews…. Even pulled a Steve Garvey GU/AU card of /25

Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Permalink
Gavin Smith

The preceding posts are so overwhelmingly positive that it strongly suggests shilling.

Really? A $1 Hideo Nomo and a Bronco scrub from the common box makes you wanna rush right out? If these were packs you’d have said they were a waste of money. Just what I want, a common card not worth the plastic holder on my b-day.

Oh yeah, the puckin’ thing isn’t funny, it’s inane and tasteless and rules out the only target market that might appreciate commons-in-a-card… children.

Posted May 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

This is a great idea, even if the cards aren’t anything great. I would rather get one of these than another music playing card that sells for nearly the same price.

Posted May 13, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink
Jamie

Saw the video, not 2 seconds later i was on the phone with Behaveya. Awesome idea! Thanks for the scoop Beckett!

Posted May 14, 2011 at 7:48 am | Permalink