Card Gallery: 2011 Upper Deck Football

By Andrew Tolentino | Football Editor

In yesterday’s somewhat dramatic episode of Box Busters, we tore into a box of 2011 Upper Deck Football — and ultimately landed the product’s most mystifying hit. Safely tucked away at the bottom of the box and underneath 20 packs of veteran-heavy, collegiate-focused cards, the contentious collectible — EVOLUTION — awaited our review.

While the video card naturally became the main attraction of our break, the brand’s bread and butter — the cards themselves — merit a closer look. As the following gallery should reveal, 2011 Upper Deck Football offers a good depth of photography and seasoned veterans in their college uniforms. Beyond the nuance and potential for pulling the latest hobby innovation, the set offers collectors a solid start to another year of football card collecting.

Check out the sans-EVOLUTION gallery after the jump and stay tuned for more on our video card hit.

David

With autographs like that…be glad you pulled an evolution card, that really doesn’t sell for much on Ebay for a case hit…be smart everybody and take a pass on this stuff.

Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink
Josh

There is only so much UD can do with collegiate only licensing and I think they have hit that wall. Release after release of the same old stuff. The only thing worth paying attention to is the sports they actually HAVE a license for. Which now-a-days isn’t many. I’ll definitely take a pass on this.

Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink
john

personally i think these look great. the problem with most people is that unless you can make a buck on your purchase then the product is considered junk!!! it’s a shame that such a great hobby has turned into what it has today!!!!! i see way too many people complaining about what they pull because they get cards they can’t make money on. it can be the greatest looking cad but if they can’t turn a profit then the box and or product is junk.!!!! or they pull nothing but solid patches and it’s a disaster then also. and the words STICKER AUTO just turns peoples stomachs.

Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink
Randall Roberson

Just finished opening two hobby boxes and though I’m not disappointed in the card quality I am disappointed in the number of dupes in each box and between them. All of the base cards were duplicated six to eight x’s and I saw no new cards in the second box. At least I got a cam newton. I don’t see a problem with wanting to sell cards to make my hobby self-sustaining and to acquire cards that I want. If money becomes the only motivation for collecting then I think it is more akin to gambling for income and not a hobby.

Posted April 15, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink
chris

Yeah this stuff is garbage! just a tease to whats coming! card quality is crap i bought 6 packs i got 4 barry sanders of the same card, kinda pathetic stay away

Posted April 17, 2011 at 12:34 am | Permalink
SteelerNation28

I agree 100% with John. When did our hobby become a racket?? I loved the designs of the different subsets, got some cool Pitt University cards, no double patches or autos or anything, just cards that I think are nice. If youre a collector, than pick up a box or two for sure. If youre a dealer or trying to make money, keep buying 2010 Contenders, which I might add are AWESOME release this year.

Posted April 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink
Scott

I dont own a money tree I’ll wait till they are a little more affordable

Posted April 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Permalink