Box Busters preview gallery: 2011 Gypsy Queen baseball cards

By Chris Olds | Editor

While our Box Busters episode is forthcoming sometime soon, we couldn’t wait to show you more of what might be in store from boxes of 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen.

Here’s a selection of hits, inserts and rarer minis (note subtle texture differences on surfaces when viewed at larger size) from the first-year retro brand courtesy of case-buster Brent Williams, who landed all of these — and plenty more — through two and a half cases of ripping on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Topps announced that any collectors who did not receive two autographs or Relics in their hobby boxes should mail their UPC code to the address below to receive a replacement card.

The Topps Company Inc.
PO BOX  2036
Duryea, PA  18642

See more images after the jump …

Click on the thumbnails for a closer look.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

chris

Didn’t one ofs Upper Decks Goodwins Champians have a mini insert call Gypsy Queen?

Posted April 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink
Michele

I wasn’t going to go for yet another retro styled set, but I have to tell you that I think the art on these cards is absolutely gorgeous. This reminds me of the best that UD Masterpieces was. The artwork on that Hank Aaron is amazing – I’ve got to get my hands on one. Hate to say it, but I may dump Allen & Ginter this year and buy this up like crazy.

Posted April 26, 2011 at 7:54 pm | Permalink
Chris H

Just called my local card shop and I’m picking a box up today. : ) hope to Phil some nice stuff, especially Gehrig, Cobb or Robinson relics to add to my legends relic collection.

Posted April 27, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink
Randall Roberson

Beautiful cards, just opened the two boxes that I bought at the card shop. Have one huge complaint though, one of my two autos was a flippin’ gypsy auto!!! I did get a Hanley Ramirez Framed auto relic, 4/25. The price jumped from $115 to $159 by the release date . I got it for $139 but could only buy two boxes because my card shop got screwed out of his second case.
Hope they keep this retro style going.

From mod: The gypsy auto was a bonus hit. You were shorted an auto.

Posted April 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink
Vince

I just picked up six boxes of these at Meijers every pack i opened had a blank in it! is that right?]

From mod: Yes, they are plug cards.

Posted April 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

I’ve seen several opened and between quality, size of packs, the ginormous checklist, and the decent list of players you could pull, it is going to be as hot as Tribute!

Posted April 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink