Box Busters: 2011 Upper Deck Football cards … and also Evolution video cards

Join Beckett Football’s Andrew Tolentino & Dan Hitt as they rip into a box of 2011 Upper Deck football cards in this latest episode of Box Busters.

What will they find inside? Will it be an Evolution in cards?

Watch and find out …

Travis N.

Video cards are gimmicky for sure…Cool if I got one, but I would sell it instantly!!! Fake high-tech for sure!

Posted April 13, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Permalink
David Johnson

Since the video cards are box loaders and the boxes that have them weigh a little bit more, that means dealers will get most of them. They can open a case, weigh the boxes and then whichever weighs more they can open as the one to sell packs from and just pull out the video card to sell separately. The rest of the boxes they can just sell to customers as unopened boxes. I HATE when card companies make it this easy for dealers to get the best cards.

Posted April 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink
Chris H

I’m not totally impressed, it is indeed very gimmicky. Can’t say I wouldn’t wanna pull one, they will sell well for a bit and I’d like to see one in person.

Posted April 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink
KZED

Since the video “cards” likely have some kind of charge already on them, I think all you might have to do is pass an EMF meter over the boxes and you’d be able to pick them out.

This also explains why my LCS opened thier case behind the counter, and left a box on the back counter instead of adding it into the pile on the counter…

Posted April 14, 2011 at 5:47 am | Permalink
Larry

Yet again Upper Deck delivers junk!!!!! Great Promo for the video toy, not even having it charged, that sounds just like UD by letting customers down.

Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink
Darin Amundson

Absolutely lame, it will be interseting to see Panini’s with the autograph, and with the video of the player autographing it. Radio Shack Metal detector, scale, magnet of your own….you name it, it will be so easy to pick these boxes out. Same thing with the 62 Topps coins, a simple metal detector ran over the boxes can detect a coin 12 inches into the dirt, certainly can find a coin in a card box. Plus then you open the box and set the packs out, and find what pack the coin is in, I haven’t looked but I’m sure there will be hot packs on ebay with the coin cards. Sorry I got off track, but these should totally have been redemptions, it would give every one a fair shot, I hope Panini makes the video players redemtions just like the golden tickets. And topps should have made the coin cards redemtions, it is the one example of a good time for Redemtions, to keep it fair for everyone.

Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink
Bill

WOW! Even more dissapointing than I thought it would be. I think all the references are appropriate – looks like its from the 80′s, too big. I think it looks like happy meal toy. And the design of the actual “card” around the device looks like a copout. It’s more fluff than anything with the player – Just one image and a name. There’s more on the card (and video) about upper deck than DeSean Jackson. You don’t need to advertise after someone buys the product.

…And the cards look like the last UD cards. Its hard to believe the lack of imagination for somthing that should be inventive, cutting edge, etc. Yuck!

Posted April 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink
graham

I have an idea for upper deck and panini.
Why not put one of those new smart phone bar codes (QR codes) on the cards?
You could link the cards to videos, stats, contests, etc .
It would show you are moving forward technology wise AND keep the original
look of the collector sports card .

Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
Shaun Esfandiary

So does that mean that no current NFL player will be featured in any of the products UD puts out this year, or just not this product? Seeing a checklist early on, I did think the player selection was odd. I guess now I know why… Thanks for any info, Shaun

Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:50 am | Permalink
Joe

These do not seem to be well executed. They look cheaply made, the video is very short and do you really want college highlights? If I pulled one, fine (right to ebay). Wouldn’t was my money.

Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Permalink
Nathen

Stupidest thing I have ever seen. What happened to just the good old cards? You know when 1/1 were not found in every pack and rookies were the only cards we looked for. Card collecting is a joke now a days.

Posted April 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink
Tom Waldron

WoW
Have to agree with Nathen it is sad to see the Hobby go in the tank it’s a result of a little thing called Greed and here it is not good. Too much individual liscences Topps gave us Seat relics for Bat cards and Upper deck forges kids cards and looses all respect in the process. No inovation all we have to look forward to are ‘SPARKLE CARDS and Evo-the happy meal box. made up erro cards hmm…. maybe it is the 80′s.
I’m surprised it doesn’t say Hey jokes on you I got your money already and all we hear is Charlie Sheen laughing.
Panini might have a niche here but I’m not expecting much remember no offical liscence on any new Nfl products.I appreciate Beckett you guys always give the collector the news and we need someone in our corner. Here is an idea give everyone a liscence level the palying field LIMIT number of products and let the Customer (marketplace ) decide.

Posted April 15, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
JOEY TINNELL

THESE CARDS ARE STUPID!!!!! Who want a video of highlights??,we can watch everything we just saw on utube.plus no current nfl players…I WONT be buying any,but that wont hurt ud because I dnt buy any but i think the product suxs.WE WANT AUTOS…..HAVENT WE LET ALL U CARDS COMPANYS KNOW THIS ALLREADY…..

Posted April 17, 2011 at 8:06 am | Permalink