Upper Deck’s Evolution will be first video trading card … on the market

By Chris Olds | Editor

Two days after Panini America announced its plans for the hobby’s first HD video trading card, Upper Deck has pulled back the curtain on its previously top-secret Evolution insert cards to be found in the upcoming 2011 Upper Deck football card set.

What is Evolution? A video trading card.

Evolution will be the first video card on the market beginning April 12 as Panini’s cards, which will be autographed and limited in number, are merely slated for inclusion in NBA products later this year.

“I founded Upper Deck on innovation and even today we continue to reinvent the trading card,” said Richard McWilliam, Upper Deck’s owner and CEO. “I have always dreamed of bringing this type of technology to market and we are pleased to be the first to do so as the leader in the category. I believe Upper Deck’s ‘Evolution’ trading cards will capture the imagination of sports fans around the world for what trading cards can be and how far they have come.”

Upper Deck’s planned Evolution checklist  will include cards of Adrian Peterson, DeSean Jackson, Tony Romo and Patrick Willis in standard-size format cards that are a half-an-inch thick because there is a video screen built into the card. The cards will include merely college football footage since Upper Deck has a Collegiate Licensing Company exclusive to use NCAA logos on its products.

“From the onset, it was important to us that this new insert was a trading card first, otherwise it would just be a video player,” said Jason Masherah, Upper Deck’s vice president of Marketing. “The cards are built like our premium booklet trading cards with a video monitor built into the card. The beauty behind these cards is that they are self-contained. You don’t need any other gadgets or a computer to play them. You simply open the cover and press play. A video screen with 60 seconds’ worth of highlight reel footage of the player immediately starts playing. The card also has a port so it can be recharged as well.”

OK, seriously? can we please, PLEASE not categorize this as a trading card? I, for one, will gladly pass. anyone remember PowerDeck? yeah… like that.

Posted March 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
Larry

Wow, that’s it? This is the next best thing? I don’t think so maybe you should not waste your time UD. Seriously, this is disappointing that this is all they can come up with. I guess I will have to stick with Topps since they don’t produce crap like this.

Posted March 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
steve

These are the dumbest things I have ever seen. How about save some money to get your MLB license back instead of wasting money on this soon to be flop!

Posted March 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink
SeanC

I’ll say this; it seems like a neat idea – for the non-sport market. As it stands, it’s one of the dumbest, most desperate last gasps of a dying company.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 1:12 am | Permalink
Andre Pretorius

Are you kidding me? This is just stupid. Those things are hideous! This will be the anti superfractor. If I NEVER pull one, I’ll be super happy!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 4:42 am | Permalink
Lou

Umm this is garbage. If this is the best Upper Deck can come up with maybe it’s time for them to finally go. Who would honestly buy this????

Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink
Jacob Baldwin

I find this to be ridiculous as well. If I want to watch highlights, I’ll turn on ESPN. As collectors items, you would never ‘play’ with these. Finger prints, dead batteries, dented corners from opening it up to show your friends..Come On Man!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 7:57 am | Permalink
Bill

I think once again Upper Deck has taken a big leap into an untested category in the trading card market, likely the same thing was being said back in the day about autograph cards and holograms. Give it a shot … and for Larry who says Topps does not produce “CRAP” when was the last time you bought some of their products?

Posted March 25, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink
Larry

Thanks Bill, but all the 9.5’s Topps Chrome cards I just recieved back from Beckett Grading should speak for the Quality of Topps. So let me ask you, whens the last time you bought a officially liscensed UD product? HAHA!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink
George Mcfly

I wonder how long it will take to get a replacement for a cracked screen.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink
UD Insider

From the company that brought the trading card world anti-counterfeiting hologram technology to the company that got caught counterfeiting YuGiOh! cards. What will they think of next?

Oh, the irony.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 9:36 am | Permalink
Bill

Larry seriously, let’s take a look at “innovation” when it comes to Topps … this will be quick as most can imagine. Topps Supreme football (oops, I meant to say UD Premier football) is a knock off from what was done and was made popular years ago from Upper Deck … and you base “quality” on what grades you get on your cards from BGS and not how they look, are they stickers or hard signed, et. then if I show you a bunch of BGS 9.5’s from UD that would be the same quality in your mind as Topps?

How many here, besides me, were disappointed BIG TIME when they got the 2010 Million Card Giveaway cards back from Topps that they hyped all year and helped spur sales?

Nothing like getting all these quality cards and most had heaving creasing and wear .. and would grade no higher than a 3 or 4 … and this is all the cards I redeemed (about 22 of them) from 1955 – 1988 … sad!

Posted March 25, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink
Joshua Pelletier

These cards are a joke. The money put into theses could have been used to produce some of the product lines they cut out, or possibly licensing. Wow UD, a new low…..

All the 9.5 topps chromes? You must have pulled the only ones in existence. Topps puts out low quality crap, that gets exponentially worse when they are the only producer for the sport COUGH BASEBALL COUGH.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink
Larry

Well I can only speak for myself but Topps Chrome FOOTBALL has always produced some high quality cards for me. Upper Deck’s so called HIGH-END cards usually are dinged up or chipped edges because their packaging needs some new innovation. Plus how often do you get an UD redemption on time or even the card you redeemed for? I don’t mind the sticker auto’s, Why do I care if the guys actually signed the card? Because I know he actually signed the sticker so what’s the difference except my sticker cards are usually in better shape since the actual player who doesn’t care about the cards didn’t finger it and bend the corners to death. We all have our opinions and that is mine. I respect your opinion, i’m just saying UD doesn’t do it for me because (In my opinion all they care about is money and not the collectors) I think they are greedy.

Posted March 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink
Xoer

my first thought was the potential it has for CCG’s but now…not so much

Posted March 25, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink
Erik

This could have been a much better product with a little effort. Enlarge and improve the photo on the front. Add a limited serial numbered auto to the front of the card and a jersey/relic to the inside cover. Now you have something that appeases both the typical card collector and the guy looking for something completely new and different.

The design does not thrill me at all.

Posted March 27, 2011 at 6:16 am | Permalink
Korbl

Assuming they’re the same height and width as an actual trading card, they’re the thickness of forty. No one in their right mind is going to buy these. Of course, fortunately for them, their target audience is little kids and sports fans, two groups of people I don’t consider “in their right minds.”

These are a flop before they start. Though their might be some interesing mods done to them soon, but I think those will be the only people buying them.

Posted March 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink
David

That’s awesome; I hope I can get one!

Posted March 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink
bob

I like them, wouldn’t mind getting one.

Posted March 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink
bryan

— Wow, this is the saddest post I could ever see about trading cards. It’s as if you have lost all perspective on what these trinkets were originally meant to be – they weren’t meant to be collected, protected and locked away. Baseball cards or trading cards, were meant to be traded, handled, and enjoyed. Originally, the cards were an afterthought meant as a bonus token for selling another product. People enjoyed these trinkets, and a hundred years ago that fan base was mainly kids and sports fans. Personally as both a collector and a sports enthusiast, I believe these things are really awesome. Although it may be hard for a collector to see in that they can’t see the forest through the trees, cards are dead like the rest of print media: newspapers, magazines, and even the old fashioned bargain-mart (where I found some great cards at ridiculously low prices back before ebay forced out the casual collector.) Something like these “cards” could actually move sports collecting out of the realm of internet fanboys and back into the hands of a general consumer who want something new, different or cool.

Posted March 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink
todd

Looks like the video business card idea from about 5 years ago. Upper Deck put a cardboard wrapper on it and they called it an “Evolution” They must of bought a bunch of close out product that they found online shopping one night. It was a stupid idea then, and now it’s really stupid. Did anyone tell UD that cell phones play video? Hopefully this is the last time we hear from UD. Do we need three card companies? Panini should come up with something better, TOPPS will out do them all. Oh by the way, no volume control, did this come from the 1980’s?

Posted March 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Permalink
Garrett

Really guys ??? There will be a base of people that chase these just like everything else. And they will be around for a short while just like the power-deck’s were. There will be auto,memorabillia, and all kinds of combos offered. And just like Dufex printing, Super Detailed Die-Cutting, etc,etc. They will eventually fade away. Bottom line,,, I won’t be one chasing and if I pull one it will get looked at and then sold to the highest bidder. Give me a good on-card auto of a quality athlete, personality,etc, and I will be content. Just my 2 cents all.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Permalink
ryan

Its just not a card, they say its a card but its just not.
This would be like if they stuck a players picture on a casette tape and filled it full of their radio interviews.
What package could this be in the you would be surprised that it was there!?
Oh look Pa!, there was a television and a gum factory in my pack of cards!!

Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

One Trackback

1. [...] Here is a first look at the new cards: Upper Deck’s Evolution will be first video trading card … on the market | [...]