Upper Deck teases return of Exquisite Collection

By Chris Olds | Editor

Fear not high-end football card collectors, your season is not over.

Upper Deck teased the return of Exquisite Collection football on Wednesday evening with a sampling of images from the brand that brought the ultra-expensive trading card to the masses in basketball for the 2003-04 season.

This time, though, it’s arriving fresh on the heels of two high-end football card releases — Topps Five Star and National Treasures from Panini America — and it’s NCAA-only as Upper Deck has a Collegiate Licensing Company exclusive.

Set to arrive soon — on March 29 — it will include some new features such as triple-booklet cards.

We’ll have more details on this product as soon as it’s available.

See more after the jump.

andrew

Cool cards to say the least but how much will they be?

Posted March 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink
SteelerNation28

Cant wait to get at least a few packs, if not a box of these, I thought Playoff Contenders was a nice release! These are the nicest Jersey card designs Ive seen all year

Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

looks nice, but no stores will be offered the product so they can sell it. UD has screwed up the next few products by dumping the distributors right before product comes out. I see only the sellers in bed with UD to get this product at the correct price

Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Permalink
Larry

No Thanks Upper Deck, the cards look to busy and not very well arranged. You can keep it.

Posted March 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Permalink
Nathan Oak

Wow, this is surprising. There’s probably going to be a lot of ticked off people that bought five star thinking that there wasn’t going to be exquisite this year. But the stuff does look sweet and I hope there’s some nice gore hurricane cards in it!

Posted March 10, 2011 at 6:08 am | Permalink
Nathan Oak

And that sanders and Campbell look like pro jerseys. really? Even in the high end products huh. That’s a bummer

Posted March 10, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink
tom w

Chris great job as always keeping collectors informed. I have to say while I could go for the legends in the set I would pass. I understand Upper deck looking to make a few bucks in the collegiate market but I wonder how collectors will consider them as true rc’s. The SP AUTH. looks intresting but tiny patches on base rc’s isn’t for me either. Upper deck is doing what it does best keeping it’s name alive with the tried and true products but untill the get the NFL rights i’m going to pass.which could be a bargain down the road who know.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 9:22 am | Permalink
Brian

Tired of Football products, you spend a fortune and you get Jordan Shipley or Johnnie Lee Higgins Auto’s…Crap…

Posted March 10, 2011 at 9:55 am | Permalink
Chris Wardner

I’ll admit, not a collector of NCAA stuff. Quit after I finished the 94 Tet Rad auto set. However, this product has given me a reason to start up again. Very cool!

Posted March 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink
Dick Gozinya

More NCAA crap. Pass

Posted March 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink
Adam Gellman

Looks awful. Won’t come close to the greatness that is National Treasures. UD = fail.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
Larry

How can they even put the words “ROOKIE” on these COLLEGE cards, What are these from there freshman year? Just plain Idiotic Upper Deck. And to anyone wanting to buy these I suggest waiting a few monthes after the release and you can probably get these at half the price since they are not TRUE ROOKIE cards, but just some collegiate sub-set.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink
Larry

Sorry, I didn’t realize Earl Cambell and Barry Sanders and Kellen Winslow were ROOKIES this year. My bad Upper Deck yeah these are really something else. ( and by that I mean something really ridiculous). What would make anyone want to waste money on this stuff?

Posted March 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink
John Estelle

Sweet looking cards

Posted March 12, 2011 at 6:27 am | Permalink
Joe Mosberg

Very sad UpperDouche lost their NFL License. Exquisite and college. Yuck. Not a fan. National Treasures should remain the more respected high end to collect in Football 11

Posted March 12, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Permalink
Larry

i agree joe, national treasures is the most high end with the best patches and his Rams jersey pieces NOT his college jersey which shouldn’t even be considered rookie cards. Upper Deck is losing this battle, they should just pack up and go bankrupt or just stick to sports no one cares about like soccer and golf.

Posted March 14, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink
zoomdemon3

I cannot believe anyone thinks this product looks good. Compare the 2010 design to the 2009. This year’s product has no personality, no color, bad photography and I can tell the designers from past years have moved on as well. Look at the Rare Materials cards from this year… let’s throw 4 circles on a rectangle – toss in some patches – and call it a high-end memorabilia card. Yuck. UD blew it losing their NFL license. Like everyone said 6 months ago: “Last year of Exquisite Football.” 2010 is a cheap impostor. Who has a box of 2010 NT for me to pick up???

Posted April 2, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink