Ever wonder how many 1/1 cards have been made?

I personally love it when a 1/1 is found in a Beckett Box Busters box and “outrage” erupts from a seemingly always agitated few.

Why?

Because the 1/1 is nowhere close to being what it used to be.

Ever wonder how many 1/1s have been made?

Well, I looked up last year’s total — just for baseball.

It will surprise you. Find out how many were made after the jump …

How many of those were found in Box Busters videos? Fewer than five. How many were found by you, personally? (If you even bother to open wax.)

‘Nuff said.

Even better, after doing more digging, it seems that there are nearly 340,000 1/1 cards listed in the Beckett database — just for baseball.

Frankly, I’ve seen many more impressive cards found by others — cards rarer, cards more expensive — out of many a collectors’ boxes. (Even boxes provided to other outlets free by card companies, too, but we’ll not dwell on that.)

Oh, and the card above? As always, the notable pulls will go into collectors’ hands. Look for details on how you can win that card in Beckett Baseball No. 56 … coming soon.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

ned flanders

Trying to justify why Beckett got the two best 1/1 cards from Exquisite football a few years back? What a reach

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:09 am | Permalink
chrisolds

There’s no reach here at all. And it’s not about football, either. The combined 1/1 totals for all sports, for all years, is absurd.

As for the Exquisite break, I wasn’t here at the time. But I would direct the questions on that one to Upper Deck — a pretty egregious error on their part to have two top 1/1s show up in the same box.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink
Paul

No offense, but isn’t it possible that the number is even higher? I know that in at least one basketball set (Press Pass Legends) they went crazy with plates and not all of them are listed and in other sets, like Topps Total, there are only four plates listed in Beckett’s online guide when there are actually 8, 4 in the front and 4 in the back.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:14 am | Permalink
chrisolds

No question it could be higher… there *are* products Beckett does not catalog that have 1/1s in them.

And I’m *just* talking about baseball here.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Does that 29,793 figure include press plates? Most collectors don’t consider them “true” ones-of-one; rather “ones-of-four.”

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink
Gellman

I don’t know who has less integrity – Beckett or me.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Oh, I can answer that …

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:39 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Press plates are all 1/1s — they are all marked as such and are the only version of those colors (just like any color of a 1/1 parallel).

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Do you feel the need to justify the situation? What other reason do you have to post this?

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I agree the concept of the 1/1 is not what it used to be. It doesn’t surprise me that there are so many out there. What does surprise me is how often Beckett pulls sweet hits.

Out of the 3 1/1′s I own, I’ve pulled two of them. Both of them were pulled, because I purchased full cases of the product. I have never pulled a 1/1 from a random box break or individual wax purchases. As a collector, I understand the risk and accept it. However, it’s frustrating to see/hear about Beckett’s epic pulls.

Maybe I have the worst luck in the world… and Beckett has the best luck. Or maybe… card companies send you guys loaded boxes.

Either way… I think it’s wrong for card companies to give out free boxes to ANYONE for promotion (sorry fellow bloggers & friends… that means you too). I think sending out some sample/promo cards are fine. However anytime there’s an opportunity for people to receive hits that paying collectors should be pulling… it’s a shame.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

No need to justify, however I think those who rant and rave about 1/1s have no idea the number of cards that are made.

And out of that 30,000 1/1s made last year, how many were pulled on a Beckett box break? It’s not a lot …

Posted July 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I guess the Strasburg auto relic (that you raved about before pulling it) and the Howard and Fielder weren’t bad either right?

Just luck.

Have you watched the other boxes being broken online? Nowhere near your box. And your reaction when the 1/1 was pulled said it all. You might have a poker face when you’re writing, but the reaction you gave told the whole world that you had yet another full house on your hands.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Oh, and face it. This isn’t even a conversation if you pull a Casey Kotchman or a David Eckstein 1/1. C’mon. You pulled the Pujols 1/1…..AND everything else, and you’re seriously going to act like we’re the ones who have the problem?

Maybe you should have it graded before you give it away. If the Stras was a 9.5, the centering on this card should put it right at a 10.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
William Gareau

Sorry sanjosefuji, you must have really bad luck. I buy individual boxes and usually pull 2-3 1/1′s per year. I now own 7 or 8. Most are from basketball, but one is in football and two are in baseball. None of them are very notable players. I do have one bowman red from 2009 Bowman Draft that has some potential.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

You’re right, G_moses. I pulled a Giambi 1/1 plate out of two boxes of Goodwin last year — there wasn’t an uproar then. And they aren’t immensely difficult pulls.

I have read your anti-Beckett points and am disappointed you weren’t interested in listening to what Tracy had to say. You believe in a lot of un-founded things — things that apparently vanished or you apparently forgave Panini about after a simple phone call.

But I will ask… how was your Court Kings box from Panini? Was it average, great, subpar? You didn’t really say…

Posted July 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Well, I did talk to Panini that one time, you’re right. And I took Prusha at his word. I don’t have a track record with Panini or with Prusha to not give him a fair shake our first time around.

I did get a box of Court Kings. It was average. And I’m giving it all away too. Though I do seem to be leaning more towards Fuji’s way of thinking here….

And lastly, Hackler didn’t TELL me anything. I laid out several points and he never really got back to me.

And as for yourself sir, it seems to be sufficient to say, “me thinks he doth protest too much.”

Bill Shakespeare. Still relevant.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Do you have a track record with Beckett? We had never heard of you until your comments about the Kobe card.

The autographed box-toppers in Court Kings are two per case… one in every 7.5 boxes.

We have been chastized for pulling cards (1/1s, hits, etc) with relatively the same odds as that.

Luck, statistical possibility or “loaded” … it’s a matter of how you look at it.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Well, I’ve rectified my situation. You can check my blog for my new practices. I’ll no longer be recieving any free boxes from anybody.

I see now that I was wrong to ever open free product. I’ll never make that mistake again. The next time this argument comes up, I’ll have better ground to stand on.

You’re right, we both received free product. And that puts us in the same boat – so who am I to criticize? It won’t happen again though.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

While people may think that’s an issue, the reality is that the companies don’t know what is inside boxes. Isn’t that what Prusha told you?

Good boxes happen. Bad boxes happen.

However, my comment was more about your anti-Beckett statements.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Well, if you’re referring to the fact that I can no longer afford to enter a hobby shop because they live and die (mostly die) by “Book Value”, then we’re just never going to see eye to eye.

As far as our route in breaking boxes, I just took myself in a new direction. If you tell me that those boxes were legit – great. Luck o’ the Irish I guess.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Permalink
AxE

honestly i think your barking up the wrong tree if attacking beckett for these pulls. if its all on the up and up atleast from beckett’s end. though i wouldnt put it past companies to load boxes for their beckett’s busts, which would be very lame. though i personally believe most card companies front load their product pretty decently to keep buyers wanting to buy more later.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Permalink
voluntarheel

I will play nice and offer a helpful suggestion. Instead of taking free product and having to manage the outcry when yall inevitably pull a case hit, why don’t you take your show on the road?

Go around the country to card shops that sell your magazine. There you actually BUY a box of cards like the rest of us. Then either you open it on camera or have the shop owner have one of his customers open the box on camera. Then do the same review that you always do.

This would serve the community (local/card/beckett) so much better than watching the same guys open free product. It removes the stigma of loaded boxes as you can show the customer or you randomly selecting a box (yes I know this can be faked as well, but why make that kind of effort). It gives back to the local shops that have served Beckett well for years. And it would be a lot of fun to watch people actually get excited when they pull a great card.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink
Pablo Z

Let’s face it Chris, Beckett is a scam and the whole world saw it with the Strasburg Super debacle. You and your company showed your true colors. Do I still look at your site? Yes. Do I periodically read your mag? Yes. However, you can not tell me that you honestly believe that the “graders” were being objective when they gave the Stras Super a 9.5. Additionally, your box breaks are ridiculous. Of course the companies load your boxes. Is that your fault? Probably not. The card companies want good publicity… and they should. However, don’t act like it shouldn’t annoy collectors when we repeatedly see your company patently rip us off.

Say what you will. Your company is a joke, like your website and your faulty responses to legitimate complaints from your customers.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
Pablo Z

Oh and by the way, your avatar, Chris, is as frusterating and ridiculous as your justification for the box breaks is. Thank you for listening (and for probably hastily removing these posts). I wouldn’t expect anything less from a company with such integrity.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I like voluntarheel’s idea. You guys should look into it.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Pablo, if you’d like to voice your opinions to BGS please do so.

Furthermore, if you’d like to accuse Topps of sending loaded boxes more directly, you can contact them.

I’m confident he will tell you what he’s told us — and countless others, no doubt — that they just pick the boxes from their allotment and have no idea what is inside them.

By the way, there are more than 800 1/1s in 2010 Topps Tribute…

Posted July 29, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink
Pablo Z

Thank you for the email addresses. I will most definately voice my opinion to them. I also appreciate your timely response. However, you are missing the point of my rant. I, like most other collectors, realize that there are ten of thousands 1/1s produced each year. Thus, I am not complaining about them (at least not now and not to you).

I am complaining about your obvious displeasure towards “CUSTOMERS” that attempt to provide you with honest feedback. If you didn’t sound so condescending, I probably would have just kept reading the post… and moved on. However, you DID sound condescending and you ARE exceedingly defensive about something that you “claim” to have no control over.

I understand that you are the editor of Beckett magazine (a magazine that I have perused for nearly twenty years of collecting). I understand that your job is to defend your company. I understand that you feel that you are doing the right thing by responding to negative posts.

The truth is you should problably just lay off responding to customer complaints through a public forum. You come off like a jerk and you are probably losing more customers than you are gaining. If you would like to constinue this conversation with me, feel free to email me at pzeniewicz@gmail.com. As you can see, it is very easy to pass the buck, by providing people with an email address. IT DOESN’T SOLVE THE PROBLEM, Chris.

This is about integrity, Chris. Would Dr. James Beckett appreciate you speaking to customers, as if we are disposable? Maybe you should provide us with his personal email address. Maybe you should rethink this whole Beckett box break blog. Maybe you should just know when to keep your mouth shut.

Please feel free to respond to this post, or to email me personally. I, like many other customers, am considering boycotting your product because of your poor attitude and distaste of legitimate feedback.

Thanks, Chris, for ruining a remarkably fundamental element of this wonderful hobby.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Permalink
Pablo Z

Chris,

I just want to verify, since I’m sure that you won’t post Dr. Beckett’s email address here. Is the proper place to contact him at:

Jim Beckett
Beckett Interests Inc.
5057 Keller Springs Road
Suite 110
Addison, TX 75001
USA

I just want to make sure that I am sending my complaint to the proper address. Oh and since you haven’t been nearly as timely in responding to my last post and you were to responding to the prior posts, perhaps you have rethought your prior position. Maybe you should think twice about biting the hand that feeds you. That’s on you, though.

I will be sending Dr. Beckett a letter tomorrow, in an attempt to rectify your obivious distaste towards constructive criticism. Isn’t there a new CEO or director at Beckett also. Would you mind providing me with there email and/or mailing addresses also. You can go ahead and post them here and send them directly to my email address.

Thanks again for disenchanting a twenty plus year customer. Your condescending eloquence was noted and will forever be memorialized on the internet for all to see.

pz

Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink
Dan

Sounds like gmoses has a little chip on da shoulder huh…basically i have pulled one 1/1, a Bowman Joe Mauer plate, and yes it was cool but i’m a 33 year old man and didn’t feel the need to yelp like a little girl when i pulled it. I think we all know its not that big a deal.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

Jim Beckett sold the company several years ago. Feel free to send your letter to us at the mailing address found in any of our magazines.

If you feel I was dismissive in my comments, I’d encourage you to step back from your keyboard and read them again. I think I replied in a respectful and professional manner despite the caustic and potentially insulting remarks toward the company, which you have added to (in my direction) in your most recent comments.

I have found that our customers prefer having these discussions. (Silence just intensifies people’s conspiracies/anger.) However I also have no qualms whatsoever pointing out things that are not accurate in comments. Your “rant” was completely understood, however it doesn’t mean you are correct. It’s one of a few views. Not everyone agrees. However, the database numbers are what they are. Feel free to ignore them but they tell me plenty.

I saw your post on blowout (link above) bragging about your comments and how they will be deleted, while adding childish insults about me. More power to you. However you should remember that our comments are held for moderation. They were approved before I posted this reply.

As has been discussed countless times, I am not a BGS spokesman or employee. Hence the email. Topps — and the other card companies — have repeatedly denied loading up boxes to us (and others) as the subject has come up many, many times.

Reputable media outlets don’t make allegations on whims, rumors, etc. If they say the boxes are normal and there is no wrongdoing how is it proven false? There are 499 other strasburg cards to be found on boxes, 98 other versions of that Ruth. The 1/1 in that box is the only card with tough odds.

Feel free to write the letter. Send me a copy and I will hand-deliver it to my boss.

Feel free to continue to comment. I have no need to email you directly. Everything can be said right here for others to read as well.

It’s great to be skeptical of things within the card industry — it needs that — however incessant negative claims without firm facts to back things up is not reality.

Compare the other box breaks here to the ones Beckett received and you should see that the results are comparable (save for a 1/1, which is replaced in a different box by a more impressive card).

And, again, if you have issues with Topps over something you feel they did please contact them. They don’t always answer my questions, but I haven’t had any overtly negative dealings with them, either.

Chris Olds
colds@beckett.com

Posted July 29, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Chris, you are missing the whole point! When we ask you a question we want your answer, not the email address of someone else. The question is, do you personally believe the Strasburg Super deserved a 9.5 compared to all 9.5′s you have seen?
Do you believe that the Tribute boxes are typical of what people will pull out of two random boxes purchased from a hobby shop?
Do you believe that your price guide is remotely close to real world sales?
If you can answer these questions without other peoples email addresses and the usually condescending snarkiness, we as collectors and customers would appreciate it.

Chris Gitz
project1962@yahoo.com

Posted July 30, 2010 at 2:39 am | Permalink

I can understand some of the outrage from hard-core collectors over the 1/1′s in boxes sent to Beckett from manufacturers. Yes those are hits that paying collectors could potentially get, and that sucks. One could argue that since the cards are given away, the collectors still have a chance to get them. However, the collector would have to frequent Beckett and be an active member to do so, which cuts out a majority of collectors I know.

In my group of collectors, I know of no one who actually uses Beckett to obtain the value of cards, both old and new. Beckett is solely used as a database of checklists. In fact, we’ve discussed many times that Beckett would be better served if it stopped listing prices all together.

The values represented in Beckett are so out of touch with reality, so arbitrary, that one wonders how anyone who has every been on the internet could believe they are real.

Beckett reminds me of something a car salesman told me one day. When I asked him what he says to car buyers who are trading in a vehicle and bring in the Kelly Blue Book to state it’s value, he simply says this:

“So Kelly Blue Book says this car is worth $5000? Well, I can’t match that. Let’s call them up, and have them cut you a check. What’s that? KBB doesn’t buys cars? Huh, how about that.”

Beckett seems to be exactly the same. Try calling up Beckett to sell them a card at it’s current Beckett value. Or half the Beckett value. Or one quarter the value. Surely a $1000 card is worth a $250 investment, seeing as they are in the valuation business. Never mind the 7 completed eBay auctions that put it’s value at $100.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 4:17 am | Permalink

“In the end, I think we just need to treat Beckett like our creepy uncle. They were cool when we were a kid, full of stories and knowledge; it seemed they knew everything. Now that we’re older we just smile and nod as they tell us those same stories, waiting for them to go away.” Comment by Ryan

Lol… this is awesome! You’ve got my vote for “Quote of the Year”.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 10:22 am | Permalink
the sewingmachineguy

Why no speedy response to Gritz76′s questions? Interesting.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Seriously, it’s a $350/box product, these things better have SOMETHING in them. Hell, every box better have something.

The three biggest hits pulled from those two boxes were the Strasburg, Ruth and Pujols, probably in that order.

The Strasburgs are a LOT more common that everyone originally thought. Ruth bats are pretty common. And that Pujols 1/1 really doesn’t carry the same weight that a card like that did five years ago.

Are there Pujols collectors out there who would love it? Yes. But NO ONE is buying Tribute for a red refractor … they all wants the relics/autos.

Are these boxes typical of what someone might pull if they bought them in their shop? No. But are any of these boxes going to be typical? They are either hit or miss. That’s how high-end works.

Taking a step back, I can’t understand why Topps would send TWO boxes to Beckett to review. One would have been just fine … although I and others would argue that the practice of giving free boxes to people for review is nonsense.

I’m not entirely thrilled about the practice of manufacturers giving away products for review, whether it be to Beckett or Joe-Schmoe who runs a blog and had the ability to sweet talk some rep into getting their name added to the mailing list.

Having said all of that … what people need to understand is that Beckett ends up giving this stuff away. It ends up in collector’s hands, and not via eBay.

Was there shadiness involved? I have no clue. All I know is that anytime Beckett opens a box there are either cheers or jeers, all stemming from a monster break about five or six years ago — and before Public Enemy No. 1 (Chris Olds) got to the company.

If Beckett people open a box and its a winner — they lose because people cry foul.

If Beckett people open a box and get crap — they lose again because everyone starts throwing out lines like “Oh, I guess (manufactuers name) sent the wrong box(es.)”

The people to blame here are the manufacturers. They should just stop with all the freebee stuff. Seriously.

And if that were to happen, it would be in the best interest of Beckett to purchase their own boxes for review — they can then resell the contents to recoup the cost, or just write the damn thing off on their taxes.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Permalink
chrisolds

I appreciate everyone’s feedback on this topic and others — both positive and negative.

I understand completely that there are varying views on this (and many other) topics in the industry, this hobby of all of ours. My point of view is presented here and I thank you for your perspectives as well.

We want feedback, we want discussions. If my comments were taken as negative, once again, I apologize as I did before.

I’d encourage you all to continue discussing the issues, concerns ins and outs of the industry. A lively debate, discussion (whatever you want to call it) is the cornerstone of a healthy and thriving industry.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Permalink
Don Sherman

I will gladly continue this conversation. I will guess (never assume, you get in trouble for assuming) that you responded to Chris’ questions personally. It appears that there is a company line that is being toed, and your answers did come off as sounding like you are a high tempered individual. If you have a quick temper I want to offer you a piece of free advice: take a step back and think about your responses.

You say that your comments are not negative, then why did you feel it necessary to post the youtube videos? It gives the feel that you are justifying your stance on the topic, but also makes you look like a fool. You ask how many 1/1 were pulled from a Beckett break? I ask how many Beckett breaks pulled a 1/1, and a highly desirable one at that?

That last statement is at the heart of the problem here. It seems that the box breaks, on boxes provided by the manufacturers, yield a large number of desirable cards. Cards that one could come to the conclusion that the odds are being beat on a regular basis. Do that in Vegas and see what happens.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Permalink
Anthony

I think Cardboard Icons is on the right track. Clearly there isn’t going to be any answer that is going to please everyone unless a card manufacturer openly admits that they send loaded boxes to Beckett. That’s not going to happen and there’s no way anybody can prove it.

So this discussion is really pointless and childish. I think there’s way too much complaining and griping about this topic. Whether it be thousands or hundreds of thousands of cards in a production run, what is one card pulled from a Beckett box break going to do to improve your odds? It’s insignificant. You guys all know that the odds are generally slim to none anyway, so how can anybody be bent out of shape about losing the chance at a particular card? Also, you’re all focusing on one box. Did you see what was in the other one? Relatively unspectacular, but not a single person has spoken about that one. Let’s be realistic and step out of the tunnel vision and vindictive comments.

Even if the boxes are rigged, you guys seem to be smart enough to realize that these kinds of box breaks are not a good representation of a typical box. So what are you trying to prove with this discussion? Anybody who is in this hobby knows better than to assume every box is a winner.

Some of you guys are clearly being argumentative for the sake of being difficult and combative. Seemingly giving you guys just as much license to be disrespectful jerks as said Beckett employee. There’s a lot of people saying that Chris should reflect on his comments, but a lot of you guys should do the same thing. There’s a lot of people that are just as guilty of being out-of-line on this thread.

If you don’t like Beckett, what are you doing on here? Price guides are simply that, a guide. It’s not set in stone and the market sets their own price. It’s economics really.

Posted July 30, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

My questions have not yet been answered but then again I don’t really expect them to. Maybe I need to leave my phone number?

Posted July 31, 2010 at 12:25 am | Permalink
Rich Klein

I’ve been reading this thread with a great deal of interest. And I’d like to put in my 2 cents worth *probably three cents more that this is worth*

As an matter of introduction; my name is Rich Klein and I used to be employed at Beckett (full time for nearly 17 years and then on contract for 2 years) and have not been employed in any way (full-time or contract) since April, 2009.

A few other things to say in the matter of “hobby media” boxes and Chris Olds, etc.

1) From personal experience; Chris is an extremely ethical employee and person. Back in the day, when Chris worked for various newspapers, I constantly tried to arrange comp subscriptions for Chris as a hobby media writer. Chris ALWAYS refused those offers.

2) In the issue of personal disclosure, Chris and I do trade cards. I trade him Oakland A’s cards and he trades me cards of various teams. Chris is a very legit collector of those cards and I help him. He does the same for me. And this is not a secret; as I have posted that on the Beckett board several times.

3) I do new box reviews for Sports Collectors Daily. I have a terrific editor there and am happy to do so. I have recieved perhaps up to 50 total boxes in the past year and have never pulled a great card. Many decent ones but never a great one. All my reviews are public record on the SCD site. I always go into great detail on what is pulled from the box. If I ever receive a truly exceptional card; I will probably try to find a way to sell the card for “non-profits that I am involved in” and not keep any money. As an FYI; I have never sold one card which I have acquired through these boxes.

4) I participated in many box breaks in my Beckett days and let me assure you the majority of the boxes that I helped opened were not worth the retail value of the cards. There was one Topps autograph product from about 2004-05 which I remember had six autograph cards in the pack with an SRP of $180 for the box. I think the legit selling price of the six cards I pulled were $30. So sometimes the boxes do go the other way.

5) As for 2010 Topps Tribute; my local card store, and there is a good one less than five minutes from my house is selling those boxes at $300 per. I would hope if I spent $600 on two boxes that I received something good. Nothing personal, but I would be real pissed to spend that much money to get “drek”

6) Anway — that’s the end of my rant and rave. I will be in Baltimore as a “free-lancer” and card guy at the national and I know Chris will be there for a limited time. But; if this wants to continue and you want someone impartial as a ref == I’d be happy to “moderate” a debate on all this for everyone to do face to face. All I would ask if to keep the discussion civil and lacking profanities.

Rich

Posted July 31, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink
John, "Just John"

I love Beckett, always have, and always will. In the past three years I have bought only 12-15 Hobby boxes and have pulled 5 1/1′s, Matt Ryan RC 5/10 Auto Patch, Kobe Bryant Patch Auto, Brady Quinn Printing Plate Auto x3 Jersey 1/1, Adrian Peterson Gold Signature RC Auto /25, Percy Harvin RC Auto, Calvin Johnson RC Auto Plate, and a Stephen Strasburg Sweet Spot USA RC Auto. I guess someone knows I’m coming and loads the boxes. I don’t see anyone getting mad at me. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Posted August 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

You may have pulled all those cards but not out of 12-15 boxes.

Posted August 3, 2010 at 10:48 am | Permalink

iamjoecollector… I second this…

“You may have pulled all those cards but not out of 12-15 boxes.”

Either that… or he has the best luck on the planet.

Posted August 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink
Voluntarheel

@John, “Just John”

No way man. You couldn’t have pulled those cards in 12-15 boxes. Seriously. Cause I pulled those exact same cards in 3 boxes.

Not sayin, just sayin.

Posted August 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Permalink
"Just John"

OK, you got me. I copied all my orders since 2006 and bought 23 total HOBBY BOXES over the last 4 years. I also listed what I remember was the best hit from the box. The Kobe Auto was from 4 packs I bought of Panini R&S at a local hobby store. The Strasburg Auto came from 6 mini boxes that Walmart had, not sure if they were Hobby boxes. I do buy blasters and retail of certain sets, but lately just like to read posts, the money was needed elsewhere. I listed 4 of the 1/1′s from the hobby boxes, I know there was another one but can’t remember.

2 ea. 2007 Playoff National Treasures Football
Adrian Peterson RC Gold Auto 3/25
Sidney Rice RC Reebok Logo 9/10
Dick Lane Cut Auto
1 ea. 2009 Goodwin Champions Hobby Box
John Maine Printing Plate 1/1
1 ea. 2009 UD SP Authentic Football Hobby Box
Josh Freeman RC Patch Auto
1 ea. 2008 Donruss Elite Football Hobby Box
Matt Ryan RC Auto 31/199 (BGS 9.5, 10 Auto)
1 ea. 2008 Donruss Threads Football Hobby Box
Nothing Good
1 ea. 2005 UD Heroes Baseball Hobby Tin Box
Can’t Remember
1 ea. 2005/06 UD SP Signature Edition B-Ball Tin
Crap
1 ea. 2009 Topps T206 Baseball Hobby
Ty Cobb Game Used Bat, Clayton Kershaw Auto, and 1 ea. 2007 Heritage Baseball
DeJesus 1/1 Printing Plate.
1 ea. 2009 Topps Mayo Football
1 ea. 2008 Donruss Americana II Hobby Box
Not Sure
1 ea. 2007 Bowman Chrome Football Hobby Box
Calvin Johnson 1/1 Printing Plate Auto
1 ea. 2007/08 Upper Deck SP Authentic Hockey
Can’t Remember
1 ea. 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game (GOTG)
Rod Carew Decade Auto 14/30
1 ea. 2007 Topps Triple Threads Football Hobby
Brady Quinn RC AUTO Printing Plate 1/1
1 ea. 2007 Topps Finest Football Hobby Box
Patrick Willis Green Refractor RC Auto (BGS 9.5)

Posted August 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink
Anthony Chu

this just shows that no matter what anyone says on here, there’s gonna be a handful of doubters and naysayers. this is a winless thread with no real answers and no rights provable rights or wrongs.

Posted August 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Permalink
John, "Just John"

Anthony,
I agree with you 100%, that is why I backed up my comments with actual proof. It’s sad that we live in a world in which Integrity is not accepted anymore, and an honest man’s voice or opinion is berated by the naysayers. I think the thread started off in the right direction and folks just turned it upside down. The point was that there are many 1/1′s and it is a lot easier to pull one now a days, which depreciates the value and the excitement of finding that rare card. Over 30,000 in one year, and that is just for Baseball.

Posted August 4, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink
voluntarheel

Just so we are clear, 12-15 boxes is not equal to 23 boxes + random packs + countless blaster boxes.

We questioned those cards coming from only 12-15 boxes. What you provided was “actual proof” that you exaggerated your pulls.

Soooo, thanks?

And nobody ‘berated’ your ‘honest man’s voice’. It’s sad that someone can’t disagree anymore without people getting their panties in a bunch.

(side note; what does an ‘honest man’s voice’ sound like? right now I am using my ‘middle-aged sarcastic voice’.)

Not trying to pile on here or anything, just stating the obvious. We aren’t mad at your pulls because A) you bought them in a legitimate fashion, and B) nobody knows who you are.

Oh, and just curious, what is the average disparity between the book value and actual sell values of the non-1/1 cards you listed?

Posted August 4, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Permalink
John "Just John"

voluntarheel,
Thanks for voicing your opinion so clearly. I appreciate a good response.

If you took time to read my original post, I said over the last 3 years, but in the 2nd post I listed the last 4 years. That is 12 months more then the original post. And the hits I listed all came from Hobby Boxes, which was the original intent. Anytime someone has what is considered luck, people seem to want to say it was “fixed”. I just think instead of disagreeing with Chris, or calling him out, we should voice opinions in a non hateful or sarcastic way.

I sell all my cards at No Reserve, so normally take a big hit when it comes to flipping them. I just like folks to get the cards they love without breaking their bank. If I had to make a guess, I would say most of the cards I have sold went for 20-25% of the Book Value. I buy, sell, grade, and keep cards for the love of it. Beckett is a good place to organize your collection, but I rarely buy their subscription online because the value is not important to me.

Posted August 4, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Permalink
John Kenney

wow, the negativity in this “game” is really getting to me ….. I remember the days when you hoped to pull a rookie base, and now these days of “entitlement” amoungst collectors/investors is ruining the true spirit of collecting sports cards across the board.

years ago there might be 4 rookies in a box, one auto in a case, and a printing plate was the “Holy Grail” ….. now everyone expects jersey/autos (multicolour of course) in every pack of every Hall of Famer and #1 Draft Pick or we all get pissed over what we pulled and hate those who get better breaks than us.

does Beckett get better boxes than the regular Joe ….. possibly so, but then they are in the promotion industry so it would make sense to do so but ….. I have seen some gawd awful football box breaks (at least some I definately would not want) in the past few years so I’ll take Chris’s word that they don’t …..

after reading some of these posts I can truly understand why the hobby is in a downward spiral, and why manufacturers are having to build boxes containing multiple autos and mem cards ruining the “true rookie” cards most of us loved to collect ….. it’s because “collectors” are acting more like spoiled brats, rather than hobbyists :(

do I bitch and moan when I get a crappy box ….. yes ….. do I watch Box Busters and drool over what they pull ….. yes ….. but that probably is what gets me into my LCS to buy that new box (wow, cool marketing idea eh ;))

does Beckett provide a “true” BV ….. possibly not, but for those folks that think ebay is the “true” source of what a card is really worth, get over it, it’s an auction house, not a retail outlet, or store.

thanks Chris, this started to be a great article before it went “south” :(

Posted March 9, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Permalink
ricochetrob

I agree with some of the points made here, i.e. …

Beckett’s pricing system is still imperfect, but that being said, they do a fairly thorough and reasonably consistent job on it. Further, I expect they are continuing to examine and plan its evolution as that is obviously in their own BEST interest.

Beckett’s integrity is very much intact (for those that are worried or suspect otherwise).
And, BGS does the best they can and VERY rightfully market themselves as the best in the business.

That being said, Chris is very professional and sufficiently diplomatic. If a card company says they don’t tamper, then as one of the faces of Beckett, you can hardly expect Chris to recklessly cast PUBLIC suspicion without a shred of evidence. He’s a writer, not Internal Affairs for the card industry.
You all may as well take it easy on him – personally, at the very least.

A more appropriate response (as opposed to some I’ve read) would be …

“With all due respect, Chris, … ain’t no way in hell the card companies are not going to manipulate a little & use Beckett to promote their product. I have little doubt that a few individuals from these card companies probably regard it as humorous and probably ‘harmless’ to slip you and Beckett some ‘choice’ cards.
Whereas some of the more serious and diligent collector’s can’t help but be outraged and recognize it as a grave injustice to their dollars spent, as well, a very concerning black mark on card companies that should ALWAYS be above reproach.”

Posted March 18, 2011 at 4:12 am | Permalink
jerry o

Beckett is not killing this hobby. Greedy dealers are killing the hobby. Greedy card companies have killed the hobby by mass producing cards and making 53 different rookie cards for your favorite stars. Watching the Beckett box breaks have re-opened my eyes to the hobby and generated new excitement for breaking open packs. I think the guys are pretty fair in expressing their opinion on the box they break, too.

Back to the dealers, as a side note. I bought a table at a small show and I was selling some older stuff that I was willing to part with. I had a Topps Mario Lemieux rookie graded PSA 9 mint that got plenty of looks that day. I had a dealer insist I sell him the card for $20. $20 for one of the top players in NHL history. Some desperate folks will cave and sell the card, but I knew better. I found later out he was going to buy it for $20 and sell it to another dealer for $50. These are the same guys that will flame Beckett, greedy, greedy, b@$t@rds.

Posted March 30, 2011 at 10:08 am | Permalink
Eddie

I think I have a goldmine in my posession. I have the only true 1/1 that was ever inserted into packs, unless it was a mistake and not to be put into packs. It is a 1995 pure chrome press proof plate for the very first year of fleer metal football. They did not stamp them 1/1 back then. This is a true 1/1 that is priceless. If any dealer, or fleer representative knows anything about this press plate, please comment.

Thanks, And God Bless: Eddie

Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:00 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] [...]

2. [...] The link is important: Ever wonder how many 1/1 cards have been made? The Beckett Blog __________________ Looking for GU/Auto of current and/or former Tigers, wearing the Old English [...]