So, have you landed an Allen & Ginter Strasburg card yet?

Update: At least one copy of the card has been found — a collector pulled one from a box at Odyssey Cards & Comics in Katy, Texas. By 2:45 p.m., there were just three on eBay.

By CHRIS OLDS | Beckett Baseball | COMMENTARY

There’s no question which cards would be hottest out of the gates as the fifth installment of Topps‘ popular Allen & Ginter baseball card set officially arrives today.

It’s the last-second addition of a Stephen Strasburg mini card — and a redemption card for an autograph.

Both were expected to be short-printed cards, at least the autograph, with the mini card being at least as tough to find as any of the other 350-plus one-per-pack inserts are. (Ever try building that set out of packs? It takes work.)

But, as it turns out, the mini is proving to be a much tougher find.

How tough?

We asked Brent Williams, an Arkansas-based dealer who specializes in breaking cases in bulk and selling sets, lots and other cards that he finds.

“Strasburg is NOT in Ginter,” he insisted early Wednesday morning. “I have done 25 cases — another guy 13, and another 15. Zero Strasburgs.

“This is just stupid. No autograph redemptions, either.”

That’s more than 7,000 packs opened by Williams alone — not one Strasburg.

Some Topps officials have stated to customers that the mini was not a Rip Card inclusion, nor was it a super short-print. However, by later Wednesday morning Williams said he had talked to even more dealers and collectors with a total surpassing 100 cases opened — that’s pushing 30,000 packs — and still no Strasburgs.

So, is it a collation problem? Or are the cards much, much more limited than previously believed? Could they be in retail packs still to come?

We’ll find out as once as a collector finds one. A message to Topps concerning the relative scarcity of the Strasburg was not returned earlier this week — before the hubbub on this card ignited as the empty mylar wrappers mounted Tuesday evening.

The unfortunate part of this whole equation is that for many collectors — particularly those not part of the prospecting crowd — this card would have been an easy buying/selling point for the product without being immensely rare or any tougher than any other mini card. Like 2010 Bowman showed, the interest and demand for Strasburg cards right now isn’t limited to the rarest of the rare or just the autographed cards. The reasonable possibility of landing a standard Strasburg card has had plenty of collectors buying more packs and boxes than they typically would — and it has created a healthy secondary market for unopened retail boxes.

Allen & Ginter has its own pre-made collecting base — one with different buying and selling habits (typically a long-term hold instead of a sale) — one that hasn’t perhaps tapped into Strasburg-mania just yet. The madness wouldn’t die down if the card in this product were easily attainable — not yet.

While it’s compelling to consider the possibilities if Strasburg is a retail-only inclusion in Ginter, I’d think it to be less likely among the potential scenarios.

But, again, Topps isn’t talking — perhaps you guys, the collectors, will have something to say?

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

chrisolds

There were two auctions. Both pulled. They apparently used the image I posted yesterday.

Posted June 30, 2010 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Not sure why, but this makes me chuckle. I hope Strasburg is NOT in this product … feel bad for those who have been busting like crazy, though.

Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Was thinking about this again … it’s possible that the Strasburg cards didn’t make it into the early runs, therefore none have been pulled yet. There’s no way that Topps simply made that big of an error here, they HAVE to be in there, right?

Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink
chrisolds

If 100 cases were lacking because of a collation issue, there will be 100 cases with twice as many as there should be down the line somewhere… can I get one of those (if it exists)?

Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Well, that’s a legitimate conspiracy theory … if the first run didn’t have it and people busted them, then even more people will be busting figuring they are all in the second or later.

Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink
chrisolds

Common sense says their silence right now is that they’re trying to figure out what went wrong — if something did go wrong. They print their cards in Texas, so it’s not exactly a quick trip from HQ in New York to the printing plant.

Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:45 am | Permalink
don davis

I hit one. Im absolutly thrilled. It took 10 boxes before the hit.

Posted July 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink
Jeff

I hit one ? One what ? a mini what did you hit ?

Posted July 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Permalink
Chris Bryson

I stopped by a local shop in Katy,TX on 7/14/10 I bought three packs of the Allen & Ginter. The second pack I opened had 3 RC and low and behold the Strasburg mini RC. I was so excited this is by far the best pull I have ever had in my collecting days. So now I am stuck trying to figure out what to do with it. I could use some right now money for this card while it is hott! But would it be more valuable down the road? Or will it fizzle and be worth less? I don’t know I am stuck with excitement!!

Posted July 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink
Dave

I pulled a Allen Ginter Strasburg mini from a Hot box at a Target. Sorry guys, i just got lucky.

Posted July 18, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink
derrick

believe it or not…I bought a box in one town and pulled a strasburg mini then bougt a single pack in another town and pulled it again. I had 2 of them at the same time. haven’t seen another though.

Posted July 29, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Permalink
billy

I have a 2010 Francisco Liriano Printing Plate for sale or trade if anyone is interested

Posted August 23, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink
Roxanne

My son found one in a pack he got in his christmas stocking! We’re sending it in to be graded by Beckett post-haste.

Posted December 25, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink
mark bell

I pulled a Strasburg A@G Dazzling debut baseball highlight sketches card is there any intrest in that one?

Posted August 8, 2011 at 2:16 am | Permalink
mark bell

The card number is BHS-18 with Allen Ginter wriiting in blue.

Posted August 8, 2011 at 2:24 am | Permalink

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] [...]

2. [...] to the set. ¬†However, early on it seemed that Strasburg simply wasn’t found. ¬†Beckett reported on the situation with one seller in Arkansas reporting that he had opened 25 cases and another dealer 13, finding a [...]