Honest Abe's 2010 Topps cameo comes courtesy of Milton Bradley's card

Earlier this year, Topps teased the fact that a short-printed variation in its 2010 Baseball set included Abraham Lincoln.

And thanks to a 33-year-old New York collector one card has been confirmed.

Rare versions of card No. 306 in the set has “Baseball Abe” and Lincoln’s face on the scoreboard — instead of the standard card’s “baseball notes” on the scoreboard behind a diving Milton Bradley.

Brian Lalonde said he discovered the card in a jumbo pack he bought at a Walmart in Ogdensburg, N.Y.

“There are only two of these known in existence as of right now,” Lalonde wrote in an email to Beckett Media on Thursday. “Mine and one other that I found online.

“I have contacted Topps and they assured me that it is a super-rare card and they will not give me any more information about it.  They won’t give me a print run or anything.  It seems that they are being very secretive.”

Topps and other card companies have produced unusual variation cards in several sets in recent years in an effort to add some fun factor and some chases that might draw in the typical non-collector. In this case, Topps is letting the collectors discover and chatter about their finds rather than say “they’re out there and there are this many.”

That, too, adds to the enigma of such unusual — and rare — cards.

Surely there will be more than two known copies of this card once collectors start digging through their 2010 Topps cards looking for the card of a slugger who didn’t exactly tear it up in The Windy City last year and who hasn’t had kind words for his time there, either, according to an ESPN interview this week.

But all that isn’t sparking Lalonde to sell off his new-found, albeit unusual, treasure.

“I am not sure what I am going to do with this card yet,” he said. “The collector in me many times overrides the investor.  This seems to be a pretty special card and if it is what I hope it is, I plan to hang onto this card for a very long time.”

Update: At least three other Lincoln variation cards have since been confirmed. See the comments below.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Interesting … Abe Lincoln on a card of Milton Bradley who essentially claimes all of Chicago is racist. Love it.

Posted March 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink
Brian Lalonde

Very nice write up Mr. Olds. Thank you very much. You’ve been a big help today. Kudos to Beckett and your staff.

Posted March 11, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Well, he’s on this card because of the connection between Abe and the Milton Bradley who manufactured board games.

Posted March 11, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I have the other known card. Looking forward to future news about this one!

Matt

Posted March 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink
Mike Luciano

I have the 3rd known variation.The 1st on Ebay at that.
Mike

Posted March 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm | Permalink
kevin

JUST PULLED ONE MYSELF IN A “hotbox”.. in fact pulled over 40 sp’s!!! and several GLOSSYS at locol target store..

Posted March 11, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink
kevin

Matt- why not share it?? LOL….

Posted March 11, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Permalink
kevin

I pulled 94 SP in a gravity box from Target!!! Including 5 pie cards/ and this Milton!! Several of my cards were glossys as well… what’s the word on these???

Posted March 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
kevin

We are now up to 4 players that have ABE on the card!! Tyler Colvin, Ryan Dempster, and Jeff Samardzija… along with Milton Bradley!..

Posted March 12, 2010 at 2:13 am | Permalink

There are a few more that have been found in the last few days … I found this one below shortly after seeing it for auction on ebay so I know 2 exist.

JEFF SAMARDZIJA (Take a look under his throwing arm – The Abe Lincoln SP card is on the right hand side in the image below and is a lighter shade. Do not know if the shade difference is on purpose or not)

The others that have been confirmed are Ryan Dempster # 135, abe takes place of ump in background (For sale on ebay) & Rookie Tyler Colvin # 326, abe is in dugout.

Derek Lee card looks like a prime candidate for an abe sighting.

Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:09 am | Permalink
Paul

I guess they are putting Presidents on cards again to spark interest? What a shock. :) Good news to those who pull one early and sell it during the hype.

Posted March 12, 2010 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I have 1 + it will be the first to end on ebay auction style…ending monday night

Posted March 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

3 Trackbacks

1. [...] Topps Abe Variation Found…it's not the Hornsby SP! Honest Abe’s 2010 Topps cameo comes courtesy of Milton Bradley’s card The Beckett Blog Check it out! __________________ Collecting 09 UD Piece of History Blue Parallels /299 of [...]

2. [...] Rare Abraham in 2010 Topps Baseball Another short-printed variation has been found in a pack of 2010 Topps Baseball and this time it’s Milton Bradley and Abraham Lincoln teaming up. A New York collector found the card after opening a jumbo pack he bought from Walmart. The variation versions of card No. 306 has “Baseball Abe” and Lincoln’s face on the scoreboard. For more news on the find check out Chris Olds Beckett Blog. [...]

3. [...] I JUST PULLED THE MILTON BRADLEY ABE LINCOLN CARD!!!!Honest Abe’s 2010 Topps cameo comes courtesy of Milton Bradley’s card The Beckett Blog [...]