Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

Hi,
Not that long ago i purchased a pack of Baseball Icons from my local card shop and pulled a Kenshin Kawakami auto rc out of 499. The auto on my card looked different than others on ebay and on here. So when i looked it up in the beckett issue i saw that there was no alternate version of the auto. Please see if you can help me with this.
Thanks
SSPX0664.jpg picture by brianbn

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

docisin Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:
docisin Wrote:Chris
If you look at the 1999 Bowman autograph set there are blue, silver and gold versions of the set. However, only the blue version is listed in the OPG. The 1998 Bowman Autograph set is similar to the 1999 set with blue, silver and gold parallels and they are all listed in the OPG. I am trying to add some cards from the 1999 Bowman Autograph silver set and I noticed this ommision.

In the magazine, the colors are noted in the headers for the set. The same information is on the site under 1999 Bowman Autographs. Check that out and see if it doesn't have what you need...

Yeah I saw that. My issue is I want to add the Silver version to my Beckett organize. Currently, I can only add 1 specific version called 1999 Bowman Autograph. I can't add specific colors as I can with the 1998 set. I know the different color parallels exist as it is mentioned in becket and I physically have the different variations. But as far as adding it to my organize, it is as if the different variations don't exist online. For instance, when you search for all Roy Halladay cards in the OPG it will list all his cards from 1997 to present including all parallel variations, but for his 1999 Bowman Autograph it will only list the 1 version and not the silver or gold parallels.

"Post a scan showing the different versions together and I will forward it to the fixer along with the info."

Sorry for the long delay in reply. We just had our third child so it's been a bit busy.
I can only seem to find the gold variation right now, which is a bit concerning for me personally. But once i find them I will post the scans as I think this is an error and the three different color variations should be made available in the Beckett Organize. I also looked on ebay for the different variations and while I can find examples of the three different variations they are not of the same player. 

[Image: halladay4.png]
Collec
ting:
Baseball
Roy Halladay, HOF GU (Showing Induction Team Uni Only)
2005 Topps
Retired Sig Base, Gold, Black Sets
Basketball
Steve Nash

Is there any where on the this web site to show you who's hot and cold. The old Beckett Baseball Magazine use to show the Top 10 of hot and cold players?

Helps me know what cards sells better.
WANTED: Pete Rose / Dale Murphy before 1981 / BUY or TRADE

http://stores.ebay.com/DugoutATL
http://www.facebook.com/RaylonsCollectibles

Raylon Wrote:Is there any where on the this web site to show you who's hot and cold. The old Beckett Baseball Magazine use to show the Top 10 of hot and cold players?

Helps me know what cards sells better.

For now, that's more of a magazine exclusive component. However, I think there is something like that on one of our emailed newsletters. Poke around.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

grandam1697 Wrote:Chris: We collectors need a full story on this Topps "Relic/Memorabilia" mess. Looks like we are not getting the full story from Topps. It seems to be a big issue with Topps T206 and the Topps Tribute. On the back or front they are stating Game Used Memorabilia or Relic but in fact it might not even be a Game used item from that player. Looks like so far Babe Ruth has been the one everyone has noticed, but Ty Cobb and Jackie Robinson (to name a few) could also be in the mix. Also whos to say that even the current players we aren't getting what they say.

Could you please contact Topps and find out a checklist, what the pieces are, and why Topps isn't giving us any info on them?

Below is the recent e-mail I recieved from them....I think most of us thought it was only the Wood pieces causing the issue, but from the e-mail even the Jersey's are in question.

Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry, please be advised these are memorbilia pieces and may not necessarily be bat or jersey relics, however the majority of the items are indeed jersey and bat pieces. Some of the items including the Ruth relics are seat relics from that era.
Thank you for your interest in Topps.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (By Phone: 800-489-9149, or by EmailConfusedupport@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to answer your questions between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm (EST), Monday through Friday.Sincerely,Consumer RelationsThe Topps Company, Inc.

This crap grinds my gears.. Vol9 No7 Oct. o9  Pages 10,11,12,13. Beckett baseball 4 pages dedicated to this product and Topps Director of Product Development Clay Luraschi.  Can we get Clay back for maybe a blurb in a future issue to discuss why he failed to announce seat cards before the product went live. I guess where he states" there will be a few surprises" takes on a new meaning.  Shame on Topps with this product and trying to hoodwink collectors. I pulled a"Babes RAINBOW Was Here, maybe" card last night. Garbage.

popjon Wrote:This crap grinds my gears.. Vol9 No7 Oct. o9  Pages 10,11,12,13. Beckett baseball 4 pages dedicated to this product and Topps Director of Product Development Clay Luraschi.  Can we get Clay back for maybe a blurb in a future issue to discuss why he failed to announce seat cards before the product went live. I guess where he states" there will be a few surprises" takes on a new meaning.  Shame on Topps with this product and trying to hoodwink collectors. I pulled a"Babes RAINBOW Was Here, maybe" card last night. Garbage.

Topps has been contacted (not customer service) on the subject -- and they have yet to respond. However, I think their failure to note the type of memorabilia on cards in Topps 206, Tribute and elsewhere with blurbage was likely a decision to help get the cards made faster so each single card template didn't have to be tweaked during production (time equals money).  The lineup and availability of Relic pieces could have changed as well because the company is undoubtedly working on multiple products at the same time. (A LOT of things can change/go wrong during the making of card sets.)
One should note that many of those cards in those products do not have markings -- and in some cases where they do they're sometimes flat-out wrong. Keep in mind that it's not unprecedented at all for them to use stadium seats in Relic cards -- this is a case where they may have botched it.
And a result of this oversight is that collectors have a knee-jerk reaction and fueled conspiracy theories. You can bet Topps didn't want that.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

docisin Wrote:I also looked on ebay for the different variations and while I can find examples of the three different variations they are not of the same player. 

You may be answering your own question here with this set -- but I wasn't going to tell you cards didn't exist if you had them because plenty is possible with foil stamping and the potential for errors. I'm pretty sure that there are different colors -- but not for the same players. Keep looking and let me know.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

manning da man Wrote:Hi,
Not that long ago i purchased a pack of Baseball Icons from my local card shop and pulled a Kenshin Kawakami auto rc out of 499. The auto on my card looked different than others on ebay and on here. So when i looked it up in the beckett issue i saw that there was no alternate version of the auto. Please see if you can help me with this.
Thanks
SSPX0664.jpg picture by brianbn

I'll pass it along to the Price Guide crew. It could have just been an oversight.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

thanks
hopefully thats a short print

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

Chris,
How often are the lists of semistars, minor stars, etc. updated on older sets? Recently I've been adding thousands of 1990s and 2000s cards into My Organize and suspect some of the 'star' categories are a bit outdated. Any 'behind the scenes' information on how the 'star' lists are made and kept up-to-date?