Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

chrisolds Wrote:
laneyb Wrote:Chris, can you provide any help with my above Griffey post?

Will have to discuss this one with the analyst to see if we have tracked any sales -- or whether it was just missed. That will be next week.

I look forward to hearing back from you, no one seems to know anything about it. You guys aren't tracking an autographed version of this card anywhere either. Thanks again.
[url=http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/laney_bruce/Griffey/Auto/?start=al
l]My Griffey Collection[/url]

When will the pics that are uploaded for cards in organize actually be saved? right now, you upload a pic and there's nothing there. Someone else mentioned this in the thread but it went unanswered.

Also, I just want to thank you guys for putting together the Organize function. It's more valuable to collectors than most realize.
Collecting Paul Molitor (Serial numbered, auto, and memorabilia)

chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>
(I don't handle pricing ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum. I also don't handle tech/site issues. Other than that, I'll see what I can do... )

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

1) When did you leave the paper in Orlando?  Was this a position that you were offered or something you found out about and went for it?

2) What is an approximate time we can expect to see some of the multimedia projects you spoke of above?  Any ideas on what we can look forward too?

Chris, can you maybe get someone to correct something in the OPG that's been bugging me for a while?
Any card with the player name of 'Pep Young' is automatically assigned to Lemuel "Pep" Young who was active from 1933-45.
Unfortunately, at least two other players were labeled as "Pep Young" on cards in the pre-war era and are incorrectly identified as Lemuel Young in the OPG.
The first, Ralph "Pep" Young, was active from 1913-22, mostly with the Detroit Tigers.
The second, Ross "Pep" Youngs, was active from 1917-26, with the New York Giants and is a member of the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, his name was often, in fact almost always, spelled incorrectly on cards as "Ross Young" or "Pep Young" on cards of the era.
This all needs some cleaning up in the OPG as Ross Youngs should benefit from a HOF premium.

RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:

1) When did you leave the paper in Orlando?  Was this a position that you were offered or something you found out about and went for it?

2) What is an approximate time we can expect to see some of the multimedia projects you spoke of above?  Any ideas on what we can look forward too?

Left in fall of 2008 (well after Beckett.com switch) after having worked in the professional newspaper business for 10 years as an editor, designer, columnist, blogger, etc. (Before that time, I was a college editor for three years and worked for multiple publications free-lance.) I regularly wrote about cards at all of my newspaper stops (started writing about cards in 2001), so the publisher was well aware of my work and had me on a short list of possible people for when openings popped up.

Projects are always in flux and change depending on what other things pop up -- particularly with multimedia. We're also aggressively reviewing our print lineups -- and actually adding to them this year. For example, we're going to publish 10 issues for Beckett Baseball this year (same for Football) and we've been doing several one-shot magazines for things like the Yankees World Series title. (We'll have another if Alabama wins the BCS game.) We're also bringing back Beckett Racing four times a year.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

souledoutdjs Wrote:When will the pics that are uploaded for cards in organize actually be saved? right now, you upload a pic and there's nothing there. Someone else mentioned this in the thread but it went unanswered.

Also, I just want to thank you guys for putting together the Organize function. It's more valuable to collectors than most realize.

I'm right there with you -- I use the site just like everyone else. I uploaded a pic and it's there -- however it's not on the main position. There's another step in the approval /review process but it's not my department so I can't tell you precisely what the deal is. (I can say that if an image is uploaded, it's saved somewhere.)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

BigGuy219 Wrote:Chris, can you maybe get someone to correct something in the OPG that's been bugging me for a while?
Any card with the player name of 'Pep Young' is automatically assigned to Lemuel "Pep" Young who was active from 1933-45.
Unfortunately, at least two other players were labeled as "Pep Young" on cards in the pre-war era and are incorrectly identified as Lemuel Young in the OPG.
The first, Ralph "Pep" Young, was active from 1913-22, mostly with the Detroit Tigers.
The second, Ross "Pep" Youngs, was active from 1917-26, with the New York Giants and is a member of the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, his name was often, in fact almost always, spelled incorrectly on cards as "Ross Young" or "Pep Young" on cards of the era.
This all needs some cleaning up in the OPG as Ross Youngs should benefit from a HOF premium.

I passed it along to the person who handles this.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

laneyb Wrote:I've written UD and asked all the big Griffey collectors that I know but the answer is the same: there is no answer. I found/purchased a 2007 UD Chronicles Ken Griffey Jr autograph card, KG1 is the numbering. A regular Chronicles set is listed but no mention of autographs is made. Here are scans of the front and back - any help would be appreciated.
[Image: 2007UDChroniclesAuto.jpg]

We haven't tracked any sales, but the card will be added to the database. Upper Deck had no details on the card, either, but we believe it was likely a low-run card made for distribution in retail blaster boxes.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:
laneyb Wrote:I've written UD and asked all the big Griffey collectors that I know but the answer is the same: there is no answer. I found/purchased a 2007 UD Chronicles Ken Griffey Jr autograph card, KG1 is the numbering. A regular Chronicles set is listed but no mention of autographs is made. Here are scans of the front and back - any help would be appreciated.
[Image: 2007UDChroniclesAuto.jpg]

We haven't tracked any sales, but the card will be added to the database. Upper Deck had no details on the card, either, but we believe it was likely a low-run card made for distribution in retail blaster boxes.

So UD has no clue what they're making and packing out - just great. It's amazing they kept their mlb license as long as they did. I believe the print run is extremely low as well. Thanks for the help.
[url=http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd146/laney_bruce/Griffey/Auto/?start=al
l]My Griffey Collection[/url]

laneyb Wrote:So UD has no clue what they're making and packing out - just great. It's amazing they kept their mlb license as long as they did. I believe the print run is extremely low as well. Thanks for the help.

They're not alone in the industry. Happens to all companies.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news