Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

chrisolds Wrote:
BrewerSuperCollector Wrote:Why are some items listed in the annual big book one year and then gone the next. As years past some of the Brewers team issued photos were in the book, then disappear for a number of years.

Essentially, there are limits to how big a book can get and still be a realistic price. There are always editing decisions to be made -- and more obscure sets sometimes will be dropped for space as new sets are included.

The reason why many people buy the big book is for the obscure sets. My last big book was from 2005. I ask every year what is in it to the people that do buy it to decide if its something I would be interested in.

Could there be a way to add the minor league sets and cards to another book to make more room for what people expect the book to be about.

Is there a finacially feasable way to split the book into 2 different books. Maybe a modern book and a golden age book. The modern book could include 1974 to the present. The point where Topps started in one series. The golden age book would then be 1973 and before. This way all of the knowledge Beckett archived could be included.

Chris,

Situation:

I have three of the same of a card I want to submit for grading. What is my best option for the highest grade. (of course your opinion based without seeing the cards)

One is perfectly centered front and back but has a print dot on the front.
One is slighlty off center on the front, 80/20. but is flawless front and back
One is flawless on the front, but definitely off center on the back.

Does a print dot kill the card ?

thanks..

Chris,

Is there currently an online glossary of Beckett terms, i.e. XRC, RC, (RC), etc.? Most I know, but some leave me scratching my head. I looked through the help section but didn't see anything.

Thanks.

BrewerSuperCollector Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:
BrewerSuperCollector Wrote:Why are some items listed in the annual big book one year and then gone the next. As years past some of the Brewers team issued photos were in the book, then disappear for a number of years.

Essentially, there are limits to how big a book can get and still be a realistic price. There are always editing decisions to be made -- and more obscure sets sometimes will be dropped for space as new sets are included.

The reason why many people buy the big book is for the obscure sets. My last big book was from 2005. I ask every year what is in it to the people that do buy it to decide if its something I would be interested in.

Could there be a way to add the minor league sets and cards to another book to make more room for what people expect the book to be about.

Is there a finacially feasable way to split the book into 2 different books. Maybe a modern book and a golden age book. The modern book could include 1974 to the present. The point where Topps started in one series. The golden age book would then be 1973 and before. This way all of the knowledge Beckett archived could be included.

Beckett already produces two annual books for baseball -- a third would probably be pushing it. While certain segments of the hobby are always strong, there's not always a lot of interest in smaller segments when it comes to sales of books or magazines. (Beckett Elite didn't survive because it didn't sell well.)

It's more reasonable for us to responsibly edit and then ensure that the info is found online rather than reformat our book lineups for stuff that, while important to some, is not as important to the whole of a collecting community. (Again, it's a balancing act.)

That said, you should be able to find all sets on this site by using the search bar above.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Yes, print dots do affect grades. I don't know how much in the overall scheme, though, as I don't actually do anything with BGS.

Here's a breakdown:

http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/vi...eId=257 />
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

I believe there should be a list of terms in our annual books. If not, just ask here.

Sometimes there are notations for subsets -- like ROOKIE -- that are seen like ROO but aren't actual designations like RC and XRC, etc.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>
hello Chris..i was wondering if you could help me i bought a box of triple threads baseball,i got a triple relic auto sapphire of tommy hanson,i believe these are numbered to just 3,any idea what this may be worth,thanks Jay.
<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>
(I don't handle pricing ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum. I also don't handle tech/site issues. Other than that, I'll see what I can do... )

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

Chris,
On the 19th I asked if 2009 SPx Johan Santana card is a error card due to showing him in a Twins uniform and have yet to get an answer. Is this an error card or what???
V/R
Eric
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

animie67 Wrote:Chris,
On the 19th I asked if 2009 SPx Johan Santana card is a error card due to showing him in a Twins uniform and have yet to get an answer. Is this an error card or what???
V/R
Eric

They were all printed that way so there's not a variation. Is it an error? Some would say so... but there's no added value.

I mentioned that card in my review of that set. I found it to be odd. Quite odd.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

Sorry....I did not see the review but thank you for the reply Smile
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP