Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

bwackerlin Wrote:Question 1:

Does Beckett have any evidence that this card exists?

2001 Fleer Tradition "Stitches in Time" Willie Mays Autograph #4

The price guide checklists it and has a high BV of $150.00 for it. Yet I have collected this set and have spoken with many knowledgeable collectors of this set and no one has ever seen this card in autographed form. An unautographed version had surfaced, but not out of a pack (Fleer bankruptcy release). I would like to know how Beckett can catalogue and value this card, as it doesn't exist to my knowledge and isn't traded (i.e. no market information for valuation).

Question 2:

The serial number quantities produced of 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Autos is dead wrong in Beckett's checklist on many of the parallels for many different players. I have two Mark Grace cards that can be shown to contradict what Beckett publishes as the print runs. I understand you get this information directly from the manufacturers upon product release, and there may have been changes to the product by the manufacturer that make their provided checklist incorrect. Is there any way we as collectors can submit corrected information and photo evidence to Beckett to update the listings?

I have passed your information on to the appropriate price guide analyst.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

bwackerlin Wrote:Question 1:

Does Beckett have any evidence that this card exists?

2001 Fleer Tradition "Stitches in Time" Willie Mays Autograph #4

The price guide checklists it and has a high BV of $150.00 for it. Yet I have collected this set and have spoken with many knowledgeable collectors of this set and no one has ever seen this card in autographed form. An unautographed version had surfaced, but not out of a pack (Fleer bankruptcy release). I would like to know how Beckett can catalogue and value this card, as it doesn't exist to my knowledge and isn't traded (i.e. no market information for valuation).

Question 2:

The serial number quantities produced of 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Autos is dead wrong in Beckett's checklist on many of the parallels for many different players. I have two Mark Grace cards that can be shown to contradict what Beckett publishes as the print runs. I understand you get this information directly from the manufacturers upon product release, and there may have been changes to the product by the manufacturer that make their provided checklist incorrect. Is there any way we as collectors can submit corrected information and photo evidence to Beckett to update the listings?

From the analyst:

W
ehave 16 confirmed sales on the Mays card, but they're all from 2001. We have it priced at $100-$200. Looks really tough, but it looks like they're probably out there. They were issued as exchange cards.

To No. 2, they can always submit corrections. Images are important to include.

I am sending you his e-mail address via a PM.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Chris couple other things I can think of right this moment

1. when a thread has more than one page why does it not have a clickable page number after the thread so you can just click right to a page versus opening the page and then having to click added page of choice?

2. This one involves 1992 Barry Colla Promo's and All Star Game Promo's catalogued in the Price Guide. Myself and quite a handful of other player collectors question the availability and authenticity of these promo's. first off the standard Colla Promo's. I've personally only seen Frank Thomas, Mark McGwire, Nolan Ryan, and Jeff Bagwell for the 1992 set.. all the others never even had a 12 player set issued for that year and don't seem to have a promo card either despite the checklist and supposed print run. it would be nice to see physical evidence that the rest of the checklist even exists so that I can either put this card to rest or know its out there and still dig high and low for a copy.

Next is the All star game promo's. There is no example of these for collectors to even differentiate them from the standard set. Many of my fellow collectors don't believe these exist either.

Why are some items listed in the annual big book one year and then gone the next. As years past some of the Brewers team issued photos were in the book, then disappear for a number of years.

When will the 2009 UD Ballpark serial numbered memorabilia cards be priced?  Or are they not going to be priced?
[Image: JETER-BANNER.jpg]

Hey Chris,

I just got my December Beckett Baseball in the mail, and I read your editorial about Topps' exclusive deal with MLB being "the right choice."

My question is this: are you a mildly retarded person? If you are, I'd like to say that you are doing an awesome job, and you are truly an inspirational human being. If you aren't, then that leads me to my next question: how much does Michael Eisner pay you to write such ridiculous junk? Do you have a deal with him that you get to keep all of the great cards that he sends you from the hot boxes that you COINCIDENTALLY (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) keep gettingfor your box breaks? I mean, I can understand if this is the case, because I'd probably do the same thing.

In your editorial, you lamely argue that UD is responsible for cards being overpriced. If you have something against UD, that's fine. But don't make it seem like Topps caters to kids and average collectors, while UD only sells high-priced cards. Monopolies are NEVER a good thing!

Again, if you are mildly retarded, please disregard, and keep up the good work (picture me tussling your hair right now). Good day.

Chris,

There are cards of course that are new, or not listed in the martketplace, that I think it would be cool if we could post I'd buy "this card" for "this much" right now !!'

Maybe have an available section on the site, included in the marketplace, for 'want it now' type posts.

I bet there are people out there who do not have time/patience etc to put cards out on the marketplace, that have cards I want to buy right now, at a silly price, but maybe thinks no one would pay silly prices for them.

Rock On !!!!

So I have a card I cant seem to find anything on.... Its a  Fleer #412 Kenny Williams card, it says he played for the Chicago white Socks, yet nothing seems to come up on him... what should I do?

Thanks,
Monica Faye

Monicafaye Wrote:So I have a card I cant seem to find anything on.... Its a Fleer #412 Kenny Williams card, it says he played for the Chicago white Socks, yet nothing seems to come up on him... what should I do?

Thanks,
Monica Faye

1988 Fleer Superstars #42 Kenny Williams --that is the only kenny williams fleer card in the database
Looking for: David Freese
formerly: cardinalscards42/davidfreesecards42

What do you do with the cards you pull from the video box breaks you do?
[Image: halladay4.png]
Collec
ting:
Baseball
Roy Halladay, HOF GU (Showing Induction Team Uni Only)
2005 Topps
Retired Sig Base, Gold, Black Sets
Basketball
Steve Nash