`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

RE: Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
I guess I do kinda understand why...but WHY can't those short printed cards, like a #/25, be included in the price guides??? They are graded and slabbed? I know it's harder to track pricing on these cards, but it would REALLY be GREAT if these could somehow start to be included in the price guides. Even something like stating what the last amounts that "said" card sold for...eBay, auctions or just whatever. I, for one, LOVE collecting the short prints and wish there was more info avb on value...other then watching eBay Smile

Thanks so much

(09-23-2009, 07:29 PM)chrisolds Wrote: Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...

FYIs, though:
I don't handle pricing ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum.

I also don't handle tech/site issues or subscriptions. Please use customerservice@beckett.com.

Other than that, I'll see what I can do...

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.
I just purchased a large amount of cards and sports collectables at an estate auction and one of the items is an autographed baseball in a display case but with no identification. The Baseball is an official American League Ball with Bobby Brown listed as league president. Everything in the collection dated from 1988 - 1995, And the first name on the signature could be Alex...Is there a way I might be able to identify this signature?

Great!!! Thank you so much Smile

Hi, Does anyone know how many 2001 Freshmen Orientation Albert Pujols Bat & Autograph cards were made? The cards were not #ed on the the back, There were 2 Freshmen Orientation cards made that year, the bat and the bat with autograph, I am wanting to know about the Bat with Autograph, any info would be great!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just want to see if you know how rare this card is, or when the error was caught. I can't find anything.

It's the 2004 UD Pro Sigs Signature Blue Ink. It's the Roger Clemens card #47. In the Beckett it says the Blue Ink has no price due to scarcity. But the card I have is an error also. It has Curt Schilling as the picture on the back of the card in his Red Sox uniform.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks much!

Nate
(nateswan@hotmail.com)

Hi, I pulled this card from a retail pack of 2006 topps updates & highlights Lastings Milledge card #155 (blue border). I cant find it in the price guides and see a differnt photo of the card on the online price guide. Do you have any idea what this card is? Parallel? Misprint/error? Shortprint? Thanks...... Paul Alden

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-19-2012, 06:15 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Chris, What's going on with the registry? It has been down for over a month and there are no updates or replies to inquiries posted anywhere as to when it will be back up. Any insight and a firm date would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
I do know that area is the next to be worked on. Don't know much else on that.
(01-21-2012, 02:50 PM)edbuckhunter Wrote: I guess I do kinda understand why...but WHY can't those short printed cards, like a #/25, be included in the price guides??? They are graded and slabbed? I know it's harder to track pricing on these cards, but it would REALLY be GREAT if these could somehow start to be included in the price guides. Even something like stating what the last amounts that "said" card sold for...eBay, auctions or just whatever. I, for one, LOVE collecting the short prints and wish there was more info avb on value...other then watching eBay Smile

Thanks so much
The price guide ranges are based on results of actual sales. If there are only 10 copies of a card, it might only be sold publicly three or four times (or less). That range wouldn't be very reliable.

(01-21-2012, 05:54 PM)jvguru Wrote: I just purchased a large amount of cards and sports collectables at an estate auction and one of the items is an autographed baseball in a display case but with no identification. The Baseball is an official American League Ball with Bobby Brown listed as league president. Everything in the collection dated from 1988 - 1995, And the first name on the signature could be Alex...Is there a way I might be able to identify this signature?
Post a photo.
(01-22-2012, 07:15 PM)mobypug Wrote: Hi, Does anyone know how many 2001 Freshmen Orientation Albert Pujols Bat & Autograph cards were made? The cards were not #ed on the the back, There were 2 Freshmen Orientation cards made that year, the bat and the bat with autograph, I am wanting to know about the Bat with Autograph, any info would be great!
If a quantity was announced, it will be noted on the listing in the price guide. If it is not there, then the company did not disclose the info.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

2008 Topps Triple Threads Triple Auto
I just got a hold of a Albert Pujols, David Wright, and Ryan Howard 2008 Topps Triple Threads triple auto. Its miss cut to where the top right corner is farther out then the bottom right corner. So that causes the bottom left corner to be farther out then the top left corner. Other than that, the card is in good shape. Its also numbered out of three (3/3). Is this normal for this years triple threads product or did I just get a very flawed card ? And since my card is only numbered to three, does that mean the other two are also miss cut ? I don't expect an answer for that last question :-). Can you help me with this problem ?

That's called diamond cut. Considered to be a flaw. But on a card like that, some might not care. I don't know of it being a rampant problem that year.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

(09-23-2009, 07:29 PM)chrisolds Wrote: Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it.
Hi Chris,
Two questions and a comment for you.

1) Has anyone reported 2011 Topps UPD error cards?
I just opened a few packs and received about 10 cards that didn't get foil-stamped (best way I can explain it) ? The name of the player and the circle for the team logo aren't foil hilighted. I can try and scan them if interested. One of them happens to be a Hosmer rookie, which was kinda cool.

2) 2011 Topps series 2 blaster from Target had a parallel set of throwback, heavy stock cardboard with the old style Topps logo. I see no mention of them anywhere. Are they 'under the radar' for some reason, or just not that interesting?

As per your advice, I picked up 4 Topps value boxes.
From those boxes, my yield wasn't quite as good as yours, but not too bad. 1 Gold and 3 Red Harpers, only 6 diamond giveaway codes, and the above mentioned "error cards"
From the Bowman packs, I received 1 auto (Enny Romero #349/500) and 1 of those die cut cards. (whatever they're called ..... I forget)

Thanks,
Mitch
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.