Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
Question 
RE: Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor
Am I dumb and can't seem to use the new OPG or has the Kelloggs cards, like the 1970 version, been deleted from the new OPG?
colt-fan

Price Guide Percentage by Grade
Is there anyway for Beckett to incorporate GEM-MT and Pristine into Price Guide Percentage by Grade.
I would like to see it included in the Beckets, that way I can get a better Idea of what GemMt or Pristine is worth. Thank you for your time in advance.

Jayson
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

I have been an avid card collector for a while now and have recently came across these new type of cards called "3D Cards". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6_zKTi0AbI
I was wondering if you knew anything about them? Are they available? Where can I see them?
Thank You
Pat

can anyone tell me where to find a list of the rings you dig up from the topps diamond giveaway?

I seem to have landed a very special pack of cards. Are the Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates metal or cardboard?

(02-24-2011, 04:09 PM)jywilli69 Wrote: Price Guide Percentage by Grade
Is there anyway for Beckett to incorporate GEM-MT and Pristine into Price Guide Percentage by Grade.
I would like to see it included in the Beckets, that way I can get a better Idea of what GemMt or Pristine is worth. Thank you for your time in advance.

Jayson
Please ask this over in help forum. I don't handle those things. I just use what's here.
(02-22-2011, 08:37 PM)mvandall Wrote: Has Beckett ever considered doing a complete guide to supercollecting? What I mean by that is, a book with everything ever issued for a certain player. I'm a griffey collector and would love to have something like this.
Unfortunately, when it comes to print publications, there has to be more widespread appeal to make something worth doing.

That said, though, all you have to do is type Ken Griffey Jr. in the search mode and you will get results for every single item in the database for him.

Here's his player page:
http://www.beckett.com/player/ken-griffey-jr-401340
(02-26-2011, 03:26 PM)jeshuagray1977 Wrote: I seem to have landed a very special pack of cards. Are the Bowman Chrome Draft Printing Plates metal or cardboard?
Depending on the set, there may be a cardboard frame on the front and a cardboard layer on the back. Some years just have the metal and a sticker and authentication on back.
(02-23-2011, 09:55 PM)dandd299 Wrote: Am I dumb and can't seem to use the new OPG or has the Kelloggs cards, like the 1970 version, been deleted from the new OPG?
colt-fan
They shouldn't have been removed. Did you try searching by player name and card number? Or just search Kellogg ?
(02-22-2011, 05:21 PM)bobstuartsr Wrote: What happened to the listings for 1948 Leaf baseball?

Thanks,

Bob Stuart

Shouldn't have been removed. Probably a tech issue. I'd leave a message in the tech forum.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Hey Chris, I have a Micky Mantle auto, I can't seem to find much information on it, but it's from the 60's from a time when he owned a pool parlor. It's not a "card" per say, but it's in card format with a signature to a lady, it's been verified by PSA but I'm having trouble figuring out how much it's worth. Would Beckett have any way of figuring out a value for this sort of thing? I'm sure it's not out of this world expensive as I know he signed a lot before his death, but it seems very unique and personal and I wanted to get an experts view on it. I'll PM a pic to you if you wish to take a look.

Thanks in advance,
Jason
[Image: newadbannerfanbro.png]
Register for Free Fan Packs
Question 
Hi...

I was wondering if you know the answer to this conundrum...

On the Roberto Alomar 1988 Topps Traded #4T (non Tiffany) there are two asterisks in the bottom left-hand corner on the back of the card... I also have a few ‘Tiffany’ versions of this card and they do not have the two asterisks in the bottom left-hand corner on the back of the card... I was wondering if you know the meaning of the two asterisks on the non-Tiffany card. Is it to differentiate between the Tiffany and non-Tiffany cards?

One person whom I have discussed this with suggests that Topps used the asterisks as an indicator for the printer as to which card was for what process to eliminate possible over-production... However, on my 1988 Roberto Alomar Fleer Update #U-122, there are no distinguishable 'indicator' marks on any of the 'Glossy' or 'non-Glossy' cards...

It doesn't make sense to me that the marks are for the printer's FYI when the printer is the 'one' who prints the cards... If you know what I mean... If Topps wanted lets say, 20000 cards with the 'Tiffany' process, then print that amount off and coat them with the gloss finish. Then print off the 'regular' issue cards... IDK, that just my .02...

If you could shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it...

Thank you...

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-01-2011, 03:47 PM)Grandpa_Bambu Wrote: Hi...

I was wondering if you know the answer to this conundrum...

On the Roberto Alomar 1988 Topps Traded #4T (non Tiffany) there are two asterisks in the bottom left-hand corner on the back of the card... I also have a few ‘Tiffany’ versions of this card and they do not have the two asterisks in the bottom left-hand corner on the back of the card... I was wondering if you know the meaning of the two asterisks on the non-Tiffany card. Is it to differentiate between the Tiffany and non-Tiffany cards?

One person whom I have discussed this with suggests that Topps used the asterisks as an indicator for the printer as to which card was for what process to eliminate possible over-production... However, on my 1988 Roberto Alomar Fleer Update #U-122, there are no distinguishable 'indicator' marks on any of the 'Glossy' or 'non-Glossy' cards...

It doesn't make sense to me that the marks are for the printer's FYI when the printer is the 'one' who prints the cards... If you know what I mean... If Topps wanted lets say, 20000 cards with the 'Tiffany' process, then print that amount off and coat them with the gloss finish. Then print off the 'regular' issue cards... IDK, that just my .02...

If you could shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it...

Thank you...

John
I believe I answered this one on a thread elsewhere recently.

(01-31-2011, 04:30 PM)animie67 Wrote: How can you tell the difference between the refractors? I know the regular refractors just say refractors but do the super or x-fractors actually say super or x or do they just look different?
Depends on the year and brand. Typically, they will say what they are if an Xfractor or Super.

Xfractors have a prismatic texture to them. The Supers have a similar but different golden tint. Look the cards up online and you will see a pattern. I don't have scans handy.
(01-14-2011, 10:18 AM)jonathani Wrote:

Ditto.  I have some minor team sets I would like to put out there and others I would like to fine.   The minor sets I have been able to list are getting pretty well picked-through, and I would love to put up some more.

I believe that area is being worked on next for sets that had been in system previously (if not there). Minor League team sets have had less of a presence in recent years just because there's a lot of work to input into database and get info ... and not a TON of demand for it.
(01-20-2011, 06:16 PM)jerzcollal563 Wrote: Do you think 2009 U.D. baseball U.S.A. auto cards worth trading for? Was 2009 the last year baseball relavant?
I like USA stuff across the board. Doesn't get any earlier than those cards in nearly all instances. If you want the earliest possible card with some type of league/organizational licensing, the USA cards are often it.

(10-21-2010, 05:18 PM)gulfvet90 Wrote: Hey Chris,
A couple of days ago I asked a topic to the general public on the best way to organize a collection. I have over 100,000 cards..I'm interested on your thoughts...

Thanks
By set or year is easiest.

For me, I keep my players I collect together (binders for simplest cards, top-loaders/magnetics in shoeboxes for autos/mem/other).

Autos, mem, serial-numbered get the same treatment, generally sorted by sport. Pretty much everything else is either binders or boxes. I'm not organized at all, though.
(11-28-2010, 08:19 PM)tds2 Wrote: How do I find out what the errors were on the 1991 Topps cards for Moises Alou and Brady Anderson? The site shows that the original cards were error cards, and that corrected cards were issued, but I have no way of knowing if I have the error cards or the original cards. The site gives only the following information:
Card: 1991 Topps #526A Moises Alou ERR
Card: 1991 Topps #526B Moises Alou COR
Card: 1991 Topps #97A Brady Anderson ERR
Card: 1991 Topps #97B Brady Anderson COR
Thank you.

Typically, a fast description appears in our annual books. In this case:

Alou: error says he had 37 runs in 2 games in 1990. Correction says 0

Anderson: ERR has a reference to 2 RBI and 3 hits in September. Correction should say something else

Unfortunately, guys, I can't take a lot of time on questions like these... but you can often find the answers in our annual books.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Keep the new questions coming. I'm sure there are plenty further back that I missed.

However, OPG addition requests, tech/site questions and what's it worth aren't what this thread is meant for.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news