`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

I just got a Strasburg in the Million Card Giveaway, and I checked to see how many had been pulled. To my surprise it was only the 173. I know thatthe card comes in the factory set as well, which must number into the (tens of ?) thousands. Is the MCG card worth any more, or at least destinguishable from the others?
[Image: 6045468b2.png]

86 of 100 2011 Topps RC's completed, excluding printing plates.
2 of 18 One of One's
1 Allen & Ginter Yellow Printing Plate

JimmyT20 Wrote:How do you research and/or submit potential error/misprint cards. I have a 2010 Rookies & Stars Cross Training Materials Tim Tebow #10 serial numbered to /299, but the foil is gold instead of silver with 'PRIME' stamped above the jersey swatch like the prime version numbered to /50. I have not seen another one like it and I have looked.

Send an email with scans to thackler@beckett.com and he will send it to right person(s). Plus, he'll be entertained since it's his glorious Tebow.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

WTGoetz111 Wrote:I have been seeing a lot of retail 2008 Upper Deck Timeline at various stores with stickers on the packaging saying "Look for Stephen Strasburg". In the price guide section of your magazine, it clearly states that 2008 UD Timeline USA baseball signatures are inserted 1:41 Hobby only. Is the magazine inaccurate or is it a case of misleading Upper Deck packaging? I cant seem to get to the bottom of this, your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Technically, he's in there ... so they're touting it to move boxes.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Portfan Wrote:I just got a Strasburg in the Million Card Giveaway, and I checked to see how many had been pulled. To my surprise it was only the 173. I know thatthe card comes in the factory set as well, which must number into the (tens of ?) thousands. Is the MCG card worth any more, or at least destinguishable from the others?

They have different photos.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

macnicol Wrote:Chris, I have a set of early 1980's baseball cards that I can not find any info on the web.  On the back of the card it describes them as "Limited Edition Super Star Credit Card Series". There are 32 cards numbered 125-001 thru 125-032.  Other info at bottom back of card includes: Perma-Graphics St. Louis, U.S.A. & TOG, INC.

They are on hard plastic credit card blanks.  On back it has the typical Topps stats info. Front has color picture, name, position and team.
Any help with these will be much appreciated.
Thanks

You can search for <b>perma-graphic</b> on Beckett.com and find basic info, checklists and set headers (under the overview tab) for each one.

From our annual book header for the 1st set:
"Perma-Graphic began its  three-year foray into card manufacturing with this 32-card set of 'credit cards] -- each measuring approximately 2 1/8" by 3 3/8". The setfeatured 32 of the leading players of 1981. These sets (made of plastic)were issued with the cooperation of Topps Chewing Gum. This first setof Perma-Graphic cards seems to have been produced in greater quantitiesthan the other five Perma-Graphic sets. These sets were originallyavailable from the manufacturer for $39.95."
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

ricochetrob Wrote:Chris,
I've decided to collect all the Topps of the Texas Rangers' top (games won) pitcher, according to the stats on the back of the card, for every year (going back to 1975).

No problem, as I make my list until I hit Kenny Rogers' 2005 (showing his team-leading 18 Wins for the 2004 season on the back).
He doesn't have a regular card in the base set, (just a Gold Glove card).
What's the deal?
How did this happen?  (Did Topps just drop the ball on this one?)

With further research, thanks to the Beckett site (which serves my needs spectacularly), I've learned of the short lived issues of Topps Total, which ran from 2002-05, and it does have the Kenny Rogers card - so I plan to get it as a substitute.

But this leads me to wonder why this 'Topps Total' series ever came to be.
What was the purpose, and why was it so short-lived.

Reminds me of another short-lived series, Topps Debut, 89-91 (I think).

The best answer for checklist woes is "things happen" ... sometimes players fall through the cracks for various reasons. (Swisher doesn't have a Bowman card this year and Jeter doesn't have a standard Ginter card, for example.)

Topps Total was an attempt to get everybody a card and be a product that could really satisfy collectors who wanted a card for every guy on the team. It didn't last because it didn't sell well.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

gkulm Wrote:In your opinion will Stephen Strasburg be a red hot rookie redemption?

At this point, it's probably 50-50.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

animie67 Wrote:Help finding a card. I have a 2005 origins baseball autographed Bobby Crosby card and I can not find it in the system. Any suggestions/ideas???

Try your search again using just the card number and his name ... see if it comes up then. There's a chance it's listed but doesn't come up right on searches.

If not, send a scan and info to bfleischer@beckett.com and it should be added.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

Bagwellbiggio57 Wrote:I pulled a BCCG Graded 10 Ron Guidry 1986 Fleer Sluggers/Pitchers card from Dave and Busters. On the site it doesn't list it and I want to sell it. What do I do?

Not my area, but I believe you search for that card and then add its graded attributes in your My Collection area.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

jstuber2 Wrote:For those of you who still attend card shows what is your opinion on the best way to organize cards to make it easier on the buyer. I see dealers who set out monster boxes with endless cards for people to search through, $1 boxes, binders etc. Which way do you prefer when attending a show?

If inventory is deep, do it by player. Otherwise, I'd do it by team.

However, I'd put autographs or mem cards separate.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news