`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

do i need to take a picture of my card to add it to my organize and if not how do i add it to my organize?

chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>

I <b>don't handle pricing</b> ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum.

I also <b>don't</b> handle <b>tech/site issues </b> or <b> customer service (subscriptions).</b> Please use customerservice@beckett.com.

Other than that, I'll see what I can do...

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

WILL THE 2005 UBALDO JIMENEZ UPPERDECK ULTIMATE AUTOGRAPH 1/1 GET ANYTHING CLOSE TO STRASBURG PRICES???

From mod: Please don't spam your auctions. This wasn't the first place you tried it, either.

Johnny Logan auto? I have a card which I certainly pulled from a box, but I don't remember what. It's identical to the Topps 1991 archives 1953 reprint number 158 (John Logan) ---- except it's autographed on the front with a wide-pointed black pen . It's not marked in any way on the back as an authorized auto, etc. I can't find such an auto in the Beckett online price guide or the SCD big book. Can you identify this card? (Sorry - no scan)
Thanx!Woody

Yeah i have a question. How does the Allen & Ginter 2010 (or any of them for that matter) code game work? What is the deal with what we have to look for or where do we find clues to crack the codes? Topps doesn't list the instructions on how to play the game when you puechase the box, don't understand what i am trying to look for, Please HELP. Thanks
I LOVE COLLECTING CARDS AND LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY PACK I PURCHASE TO PULL THE NE
XT BIG CARD.

MBartosiak Wrote:Here's one for you. I'm a big fan of the old 1980's Kellogg 3D cards. I also enjoyed the Sportflick cards. Opened some packs of 2010 Topps Series Two and got a 3D card of Zach Grienke. Would it be possible to get a master list of sets and sub sets that contain 3D cards?

Your best bet would be to cross-check those brands and more in the Beckett Baseball Almanac, one of our annual books -- it lists all kinds of obscure sets that could have used that technology in the past.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

tkopinetz Wrote:I have a question.

I had pulled a 2009 t-206 Ruth Relic card and while initially happy, was not sure what type of relic would be painted a bluish color. So, I started to do a little research. I ended up finding your article on the Tribute cards and the information stating they were actually stadium seat relics. Well, this prompted me to see if this card was actually a ruth relic card or not. The research I found on line implied it was not a bat but a seat, so I decided to call Topps.

Well, to say they were evasive is an understatement. Initially, everyone insisted this was was a bat card and then after I mentioned that it was painted, they though it may be a stadium seat but after speaking to a supervisor, informed me it was a stadium seat.

Well, I asked for a letter form Topps confirming this, which they insisted they would not provide. Well I continued to try and get something with no luck until I wrote customer services requesting my question be forwarded to customer service. I received a message back informing me that the Topps 2009 T-206 Ruth relic is actually a bat and not a seat and the reason for the paint is that it is a coaches bat.

Now here lies my question, what exactly was a coaches bat as defined by that era. I remember bats having a red or blue stripe around the neck or a bat when I was young to assist with hand positioning, but I am not sure in this case. there seem to be a lot of blue relics out there.

Secondly, how exactly could this be considered a Babe Ruth Game Used Relic as advertised on the cards? While I understand you point from a previous article about cost cutting and vague labeling, I do not 100% buy the answer. I have a bunch of the 2009 T-206 relic cards and over 90% of them are labeled correctly (that is to my knowledge), except for the FR1 Alex Rodriguez bat card that is labeled jersey on the back.

Let's be honest, most collectors do not buy as much to build sets as they buy for the autos and relics and they expect these relics and autos to be authentic. If you truly believe topps labeling issues on these relic cards is just a result of topps cutting corners, why is it so hard to believe they are cutting corners on the relics they are using and where they get both their autos and relics. I think the response I was given about a coaches bat being utilized as a Ruth game used relic should speak to that.

So back to my question, can you help me with a clearer understanding of what a coaches bat is in relations to this card containing a ruth relic and the relic is a coaches bat.

Thanks

Well, if Ruth used the bat while he was a coach, then it is what it is.
In all likelihood, the bat was one of only a few options Topps found when seeking out a Ruth bat to use as a Relic -- a bat from later years when he was a coach or a bat when he was a player (rarer and more expensive).
Ultimately, nobody polices the card companies on issues like this -- except perhaps MLB when it comes licensing time. So collectors have to put their faith in the card companies that everything is on the up-and-up.
Honestly, it's something that Topps has to take seriously. I'd be relatively comfortable with their answer.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

KMOORE32 Wrote:Yeah i have a question. How does the Allen & Ginter 2010 (or any of them for that matter) code game work? What is the deal with what we have to look for or where do we find clues to crack the codes? Topps doesn't list the instructions on how to play the game when you puechase the box, don't understand what i am trying to look for, Please HELP. Thanks

There is a hidden message within the design of the set somewhere on the various types of cards.
There is no starting point given -- people have to try and find the pattern and decipher the message for themselves.
Way, way, way over my head...
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

1peytonmanning8 Wrote:i have a collection i would like to send in to be in beckett and was wondering how i would do that?

Send SuperCollector information (write-up on your collection with LINKS to images, NOT attached images) to readersrock@beckett.com.

The same goes for notable pulls.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

fishsign Wrote:What do I do with a card that has one player on the front and totally different player from a different team on the back? There is no way for me to catelog it and notate the error. I have a 1976 Topps Johnny Briggs (Twins) on the front (sb #373), on the back it lists the stats for 1976 Topps Mickey Scott, Pitcher for the CA Angels with Card no 276.

A wrong-back card can't be cataloged because it's a flawed card. It's more unique than standard stuff but isn't something that is commonplace enough to establish a value for.
As for trading it in the system? You would have to work out the specifics with someone -- if they were interested in such a card.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news