`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

expediter Wrote:Hi hope is all right to pm you...how do you search the discussion boards? I made a post on a Drabek post, but can't find it....is there a way to search for my post or for posts of a players name?
thanks Bob

Not sure if I got this one previously or not, but basically if you search for Kyle Drabek and then switch to the news or discuss tabs you will find anything that was written and placed under those directories. (If it's not there, it's hopefully under baseball news or discussion.)

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

I have just got a simple few questions!! I have got a whole box of unopenend fleer 1998skybox! I just wanted to know if you knew how i could find out how much their worth??? Ialso have a set of Davey Allison race cards! If you could just give me a short reply just to kinda help me get a head start1 Thanks, Dawn

Thanks for your help before.....

I am also curious how Beckett or hobbiest handle Redemptions that are never produced? There are several player like Martin Prado that UD made redemption cards for but never produced an actual card. Are the redemption cards then considered the card? The interesting part is that some of the printing plates were inserted into packs. I do have three of the printing plates for the Ultimate set, but no actual card was released.

As an example any of the 2006 Upper Deck Ultimate/SP/Sweet Spot AU cards for Prado.

Does Beckett Grade the Redemption cards? Sorry as a player collector I have found this aspect of the hobby confussing since my return.

Again thank you for your previous answer.
X

jasonmj Wrote:Thanks for your help before.....

I am also curious how Beckett or hobbiest handle Redemptions that are never produced? There are several player like Martin Prado that UD made redemption cards for but never produced an actual card. Are the redemption cards then considered the card? The interesting part is that some of the printing plates were inserted into packs. I do have three of the printing plates for the Ultimate set, but no actual card was released.

As an example any of the 2006 Upper Deck Ultimate/SP/Sweet Spot AU cards for Prado.

Does Beckett Grade the Redemption cards? Sorry as a player collector I have found this aspect of the hobby confussing since my return.

Again thank you for your previous answer.

The values that people pay for redemption cards are tracked until the point of expiration (at which point, they, in theory, are not worth anything in return). There are rare instances where people will buy/collect expired redemptions for whatever reason, though, too.

If cards are not made, they are removed from checklists -- if they are announced as not being made.

I presume BGS could grade a redemption card... not sure if I have heard of that happening, though.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

chrisolds Wrote:
peytonmanning32476 Wrote:i bought a pack of 2010 heritage and pulled nothing but these

DSCN0427.jpg picture by brianbn
what are they

thanks

Topps obviously had registration blocks on its sheets somewhere -- the blocks are used to show when the colors are out of alignment or low on one of the colors of ink. Obviously they weren't supposed to be cut and placed into packs.

Never seen anything like this before. Wow! lol Too funny!

chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>

I <b>don't handle pricing</b> ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum.

I also <b>don't</b> handle <b>tech/site issues </b> or <b> customer service (subscriptions).</b> Please use customerservice@beckett.com.

Other than that, I'll see what I can do...

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

I was wondering if in a future issue you could doan article on retail vs hobby and what companies do there cards different from retail to hobby ie playoff

I have a question about 2 cards I'm trying to add to My Organize. They are both 2008 Stadium Club Evan Longoria #108. One is the regular and the other is the photoday variation. However, they are BOTH 1st day issue cards. In the Beckett database there doesn't seem to be a listing for a 1st day issue photoday version. Also, neither is serial #'d. Any info on these cards would be much appreciated.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

jag4dwd Wrote:The other day I bought a box of 2007 SPx. To my surprise I pulled a Platinum Iron Man 1/1 about half way through. It got even better when in the last pack I pulled a yellow printing plate of Chipper Jones and stuck to it (loosely) was a yellow printing plate for Devern Hansack. On the back of the Hansack printing plate, the card states it is #106. I noticed that the on-line Beckett price guide has no card #106 listed and in the base set #106 is Tim Lincecum. Any clarification you could give would be great!

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false oNotPromoteQF/> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ontGrowAutofit/> ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> ontVertAlignInTxbx/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 mallFrac m:val="off"/> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;}@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}--><!--[if gte mso 10]>Mr. Olds,

I think my question may have been skipped.&nbsp; Upon reviewing my question, I believeit might have been too broad or too vague as well.&nbsp; I realize that you do not answer questions about the specific value of a card or why it is not listed in the database.&nbsp; I was hoping you might be able to tell me your opinion about how a printing plate like this was included in a pack?&nbsp; Does this type of thing happen regularly?&nbsp; Would this card (printing plate) be considered an error card of the Tim Lincecum card or a variation of card #106 with a different player? Neither?&nbsp; I would be very grateful for any insight you could provide me.&nbsp; In case you would find it helpful, I have attached pictures of both the front and back of the card on a previous post in this thread (with pictures of a Cal Ripken Jr. card and a Chipper Jones printing plate).

I enjoy reading the Q&amp;A on this thread.

Thanks,

David

jag4dwd Wrote:
jag4dwd Wrote:The other day I bought a box of 2007 SPx. To my surprise I pulled a Platinum Iron Man 1/1 about half way through. It got even better when in the last pack I pulled a yellow printing plate of Chipper Jones and stuck to it (loosely) was a yellow printing plate for Devern Hansack. On the back of the Hansack printing plate, the card states it is #106. I noticed that the on-line Beckett price guide has no card #106 listed and in the base set #106 is Tim Lincecum. Any clarification you could give would be great!

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false oNotPromoteQF/> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ontGrowAutofit/> ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> ontVertAlignInTxbx/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 mallFrac m:val="off"/> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;}@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}--><!--[if gte mso 10]>... how a printing plate like this was included in a pack?&nbsp; Does this type of thing happen regularly?&nbsp; Would this card (printing plate) be considered an error card of the Tim Lincecum card or a variation of card #106 with a different player? Neither?&nbsp; I would be very grateful for any insight you could provide me.&nbsp; In case you would find it helpful, I have attached pictures of both the front and back of the card on a previous post in this thread (with pictures of a Cal Ripken Jr. card and a Chipper Jones printing plate).

Companies produce printing plates as inserts in various products -- an extra 1/1 to chase among the inserts. If the sticker on the back is the wrong number vs. the actual card, I'd chalk it up to being an uncorrected error. Checklists often change a lot during production so there was likely miscommunication or an update needed on that checklist for the sticker backs.&nbsp;

Collectors have even reported finding printing plates for cards that never were issued (autographed cards that weren't signed) but the plates went out, anyway.

Mistakes happen.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

TSPORTCD Wrote:

I was wondering if in a future issue you could doan article on retail vs hobby and what companies do there cards different from retail to hobby ie playoff

Typically, the difference in hobby and retail is merely on the odds of how easy/hard it is to find insert cards.

Companies will create minor differences or inserts found only in retail packs to help draw collectors in as well. For some high-end products (like Absolute Memorabilia), there will be a completely different pack and box configuration as well as a different look to the cards.

We touch on some of the differences from time to time in Beckett Baseball.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news