`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

I just picked up a 2009 SPx Game jersey card of Johan Santana. It shows him in a Twins uniform with the team being the Mets at the bottom. Is this an error card?
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

How come 2008 Finest Gold X-Fractors /25 aren't part of the online checklist? I just picked up the Andy Pettitte Finest Moments and it's not in the database.

I'm not saying you're in charge of this, but would like to see it directed to those who update the database.

Unless it's in there and I'm just blind
Always on the look out for Andy Pettitte and Chad Greenway cards

BrewerSuperCollector Wrote:Why are some items listed in the annual big book one year and then gone the next. As years past some of the Brewers team issued photos were in the book, then disappear for a number of years.

Essentially, there are limits to how big a book can get and still be a realistic price. There are always editing decisions to be made -- and more obscure sets sometimes will be dropped for space as new sets are included.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

shedwa Wrote:When will the 2009 UD Ballpark serial numbered memorabilia cards be priced?  Or are they not going to be priced?

They should be by now. Check them...
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

gmarutiak1 Wrote:Hey Chris,

I just got my December Beckett Baseball in the mail, and I read your editorial about Topps' exclusive deal with MLB being "the right choice."

My question is this: are you a mildly retarded person? If you are, I'd like to say that you are doing an awesome job, and you are truly an inspirational human being. If you aren't, then that leads me to my next question: how much does Michael Eisner pay you to write such ridiculous junk? Do you have a deal with him that you get to keep all of the great cards that he sends you from the hot boxes that you COINCIDENTALLY (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) keep gettingfor your box breaks? I mean, I can understand if this is the case, because I'd probably do the same thing.

In your editorial, you lamely argue that UD is responsible for cards being overpriced. If you have something against UD, that's fine. But don't make it seem like Topps caters to kids and average collectors, while UD only sells high-priced cards. Monopolies are NEVER a good thing!

Again, if you are mildly retarded, please disregard, and keep up the good work (picture me tussling your hair right now). Good day.

Hello gmarutiak1,

I stopped reading your message at "mildly..."

However, if you read the last three paragraphs of the editorial -- which could have been twice as long -- you'll see that I mention how there are positives for being unlicensed.

Hopefully, as a long-time reader, you'll also recall how an unlicensed baseball set -- Prime Cuts -- won Product of the Year for 2008.

Thanks for reading,

Chris Olds
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

docisin Wrote:What do you do with the cards you pull from the video box breaks you do?

A good number of them sit in boxes in our archives. A good number of them are given away as prizes online, in magazines, etc. For example, we've launched a weekly deal called "Free Stuff Friday" -- contests each Friday that get cool cards and other stuff into collectors' hands. You can find details on it every week here and the contests over on The Beckett Blog -- http://blogbeckett.wordpress.com.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

EPSlette Wrote:How come 2008 Finest Gold X-Fractors /25 aren't part of the online checklist? I just picked up the Andy Pettitte Finest Moments and it's not in the database.

I'm not saying you're in charge of this, but would like to see it directed to those who update the database.

Unless it's in there and I'm just blind

Looks like there's an errant word that is probably messing up the search:

http://beta.beckett.com/item/6485786/Bas...verview />

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>
(I don't handle pricing ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum. I also don't handle tech/site issues. Other than that, I'll see what I can do... )

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

I have a question to ask someone at Beckett.

I recieved some cards from the 2006 Topps Update & Highlights set. I noticed that on some of the cards it has limited edition on them. When I look these up there is no listing for these cards? I don't want to sound stupid but are these the same as the 1st edition or they something else.

I think I know what you're asking about, but would need a scan to know for sure.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news