`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

CardExcalibur Wrote:A question if anyone can help me out ...when looking up baseball cards and for example, in topps heritage 06'..beside some of the cards will appear an " sp " what exactly does it mean, how can you tell, and why does it increase the value of a card so much ??

SP is short print, in the case of heritage it seams like the chance of getting one of theses is 1 in 3 packs, whereas the rest of the base set you have a chance to get it in any given pack.

I have two Topps 2007 Ronnie Belliard baseball cards. What is the difference between the one with white numbers on the back and one with red numbers on the back.
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

James LaCroix Wrote:Hey Chris,

In the latest issue of Beckett Baseball, the question is posed, "Who has more cards, Alex Rodriguez or Mickey Mantle?" I found the answer to be quite surprising, considering that there are so many of those Mickey Mantle Story cards and the Mickey Mantle Home Run cards. Were these considered? Or was the question only focusing on cards produced while an active ball player?

James LaCroix
New Haven, CT.

Total cards (all). Even if the question were posed as all cards made during a player's active career, Alex Rodriguez would still be ahead -- but much, much more ahead. A very substantial number -- perhaps 80 percent (likely higher) -- of all Mantle cards ever made were made after his playing days.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

seancampbell Wrote:Hi Chris, got a good one for you...

Paul Konerko had many minor league cards produced in 1994, he also had the Stadium Club Draft Picks #80  XRC and a Topps Traded #112T card (which was only released in the Topps Traded full set form). 

My question is why is the Topps Traded listed as a RC?  and not a  XRC like Topps Traded RC's of the past?  Shouldn't cards like 1995 Bowman, Bowman's Best, Pinnacle, Stadium Club, Topps be the RC's with the 1994 Traded and Stadium Club Draft getting the XRC's?

Thanks, Sean.

XRC is used on the 1994 Draft Picks card because that set was considered to be less readily available than the Topps Traded. Once Topps Traded sets were easier to find (1989), they were no longer XRCs. Use of XRC vs. RC was really more prevalent in the 1980s. (For example, Topps Traded sets typically weren't found in retail stores like Target or Walmart in the 1980s, but by 1992, they were. And by 1995 Traded was found in pack form.)

The tag use is not always consistent, but the intent there was to acknowledge the ways cards were distributed. In most cases, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the marketplace these days -- particularly now where everything can be found relatively easily online. In 1994 (and especially before), distribution methods created bigger challenges for collectors.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

animie67 Wrote:I have two Topps 2007 Ronnie Belliard baseball cards. What is the difference between the one with white numbers on the back and one with red numbers on the back.

The red-letter cards are a parallel. There were fewer of those found per pack than the standard white-letter versions, depending on which type of pack you bought. They're listed under 2007 Topps Red Back.

Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:
animie67 Wrote:I have two Topps 2007 Ronnie Belliard baseball cards. What is the difference between the one with white numbers on the back and one with red numbers on the back.

The red-letter cards are a parallel. There were fewer of those found per pack than the standard white-letter versions, depending on which type of pack you bought. They're listed under 2007 Topps Red Back.

Thank you
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

chrisolds Wrote:
seancampbell Wrote:Hi Chris, got a good one for you...

Paul Konerko had many minor league cards produced in 1994, he also had the Stadium Club Draft Picks #80  XRC and a Topps Traded #112T card (which was only released in the Topps Traded full set form). 

My question is why is the Topps Traded listed as a RC?  and not a  XRC like Topps Traded RC's of the past?  Shouldn't cards like 1995 Bowman, Bowman's Best, Pinnacle, Stadium Club, Topps be the RC's with the 1994 Traded and Stadium Club Draft getting the XRC's?

Thanks, Sean.

XRC is used on the 1994 Draft Picks card because that set was considered to be less readily available than the Topps Traded. Once Topps Traded sets were easier to find (1989), they were no longer XRCs. Use of XRC vs. RC was really more prevalent in the 1980s. (For example, Topps Traded sets typically weren't found in retail stores like Target or Walmart in the 1980s, but by 1992, they were. And by 1995 Traded was found in pack form.)

The tag use is not always consistent, but the intent there was to acknowledge the ways cards were distributed. In most cases, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the marketplace these days -- particularly now where everything can be found relatively easily online. In 1994 (and especially before), distribution methods created bigger challenges for collectors.

excellent answer, thanks
[Image: signaturebeckettoctfinal.jpg]

Hi Chris,

I have noticed that the 2009 Topps Update Wal-Mart retail series (black border) cards are not in the database. Have the analysts not got to it yet or am I using the wrong search parameters?

Matt
[Image: hamiltonfanbanner.jpg]

Always buying Josh Hamilton Items - especially printing plates - low
numbered items - Finders fees given for Hamilton 1/1's and rare items found that are not on ebay.

1) I sent in some 2007 Topps Moments & Milestone Red 1/1 to be graded. I got the cards back however when I went to put them in my registary I could not put them in as graded. I would go to the card #, then to what it was ( ex. Strike Out 92) and it would say invalide seiral number for that card. But if i go to graded card look up and type in the serial # it comes up as Moments & Milestone red card XXX but it dont brake it down beyond that. So how do i get Beckett to change their information so I can log my cards?

2) Why can i not email Beckett from my home computer? i get a screan that as for my Name, Email address, IP address, then when i put this information in it comes up that the Beckett web site does not support hotmail address and tries to get me to put in a different email address or down load some thing?

3) What can i do about cards i have gotten back and the wrong information is on the lable? ex. wrong card #, not listed as the parrell verison.

4) I have also got cards back where all the information on the lable was correct but i could not add it to my registary but I could check all the information if I inputed the serial # into graded card look up.

5) I have my card registary set up so when i put in cards i can see the sub gradeds but the sub grades don't come up for all my cards. I know that BVG does not have sub gradeds but the newer cards do. So why dont the cards sub gradeds come up.

6) Why do some lables have all of a cards information and some don't? ex. I sent 2 identical game used cards both numbered to 100. one lable had set name, players name, card # , the other lable had that information pluse Game used pants and what # it was out of 100. does the information on the lable depend on who is grading the card?

Sorry for venting about all of my issues but i have sent these questions to Beckett from my work email 4 times and no one has ever responed to me.

I would like to know if Beckett would grade DC Comic Cards and Marval Cards? I have autographed inserts of Capt. America, Night Crawler & Silver Surfer along with gold inserts of Spiderman, Halk, Ironman & Wolverine. Then I have Hologram cards of Green Lantern, Clark Kent, Dooms Day and Superman.