`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

jtulliakat0628 Wrote:Are the rookie letterman pacthes intended to always spell out the name of a player or city or team name.

Josh

It varies by product. Sometimes it's a name, sometimes it's a nickname, sometimes it's a city name, sometimes it's a team name, sometimes it's something else.

I prefer names only as that's what appears on the jerseys.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

amysb4212 Wrote:Hello, Chris. I just have to say that I love your allen and ginter card and would love to get one. I think that is awesome!! On to my questions.
1. I was wondering if you knew if the Evan Longoria 2008 masterpieces card would ever become a UER? It has Derek Jeter pictured, but Ken Griffey jr says... on it.
2. I was also wondering if this card and it's chrome counterpart would be an UER as well? Last name spelled differently on front and back.

3. I also have this 2009 upper deck inkcredible auto card of Adam Laroche. However, it is Andy pictured. I was wondering if this would be an UER, as well.

any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

All three should be listed as UERs. However, those tags can be hit and miss as errors and variations aren't as heavily collected as they might have been in the past. (It was easier to get all those things noted with details when there were only a handful of sets made each year.)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

jbmm161 Wrote:Chris,
The Rangers had a ton of Rookies contribute to the team this season but it doesn't seem like they are being included in sets like they should.
(Glad to see the Elvis Andrus and Derek Holland autos/RCs in most sets)

Will there be any Tommy Hunter (Texas Rangers Rookie Starting Pitcher)RCs released this year in Topps or Upper Deck products? What about Neftali Feliz RC Autos? Seen him included in a few sets this year but no Autos?
Thanks

Jeremy Brannon

It all just comes down to players' signing preferences and costs for most of the companies. Feliz autographs should be showing up in future products as there should be demand.

Hunter I'm not so sure on -- though there are a lot of his USA Baseball autographs out there.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:Beckett does track and document past sales for auctions on cards numbered to fewer than 25 copies. However, we do not publish prices for those cards because there can often be a dramatic difference from one sale to another and there's often a very low number of sales.

EBay only allows access to past auctions from the past 30 days or so. We, however, have prices going back several years.

(I don't work in pricing, otherwise I could provide more info.)

That's great and all that Beckett apparently tracks these sales but it does no good for the person above looking to get some sort of a value on his card when all he can see is a "N/A" given by Beckett.

Information like that is set to be included in a forthcoming product, hopefully sometime in late 2010.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

nolmtz99 Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:<i>Here's another sticky! Just for you guys...</i>

<b>Have a question about something? Post it here and I'll see if I can answer it. Who knows, it could end up in a future issue...</b>
(I don't handle pricing ... that would be the "ask the senior price guide analyst" sticky thread to perhaps arrive over in the Beckett Baseball Pricing Forum. I also don't handle tech/site issues. Other than that, I'll see what I can do... )

This is one of a few new things we're going to try online in terms of reader interaction projects. We're also soon going to try some multimedia projects as well.

Just wondering if you were going to be able to answer my question from 11/3:

I had asked about what issue had the 2008 UD Premier Baseball product preview in it.
Thanks
Frank

The review is in BSCM 279. Didn't find the preview.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:
brents530 Wrote:
CardExcalibur Wrote:Would you be able to help me come to the understanding of what " SP " means when it comes to looking the card up and how you can tell it's a SP. Example...2006 topps cracker jack, a card will be worth maybe a dollar, but when looking it up, it has beside it a " SP " and then it was worth four times as much. Can anyone help me out with understanding this? Thanks alot.

SP stands for short print in your case with cracker jack the SP more than like stands for a short printed variation like a difference in the picture.

Actually, an SP would be any card from the standard set that is printed in smaller quantities than others. It doesn't need to be a variation to be an SP.

Both statements are correct, one is just fancier than the other.  In regards to the Cracker Jack sets, some players only had one card and were short printed while other players had two cards in the set, each with a different pose/picture.  One would be short printed while the other was a regular run.  I put together the 2004 set and from what I understood at the time was it gave a reflection of some of the differences between the '14 and '15 Cracker Jack cards.  1914 Cracker Jack are more scarce than 1915.

chrisolds Wrote:
RiceLynnEvans75 Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:Beckett does track and document past sales for auctions on cards numbered to fewer than 25 copies. However, we do not publish prices for those cards because there can often be a dramatic difference from one sale to another and there's often a very low number of sales.

EBay only allows access to past auctions from the past 30 days or so. We, however, have prices going back several years.

(I don't work in pricing, otherwise I could provide more info.)

That's great and all that Beckett apparently tracks these sales but it does no good for the person above looking to get some sort of a value on his card when all he can see is a "N/A" given by Beckett.

Information like that is set to be included in a forthcoming product, hopefully sometime in late 2010.

Is there a different magazine/book in the works/discussions or is it something that would eventually just be plugged into a regular guide after enough sales have taken place on a particular card?

Hey Chris,

In the latest issue of Beckett Baseball, the question is posed, "Who has more cards, Alex Rodriguez or Mickey Mantle?" I found the answer to be quite surprising, considering that there are so many of those Mickey Mantle Story cards and the Mickey Mantle Home Run cards. Were these considered? Or was the question only focusing on cards produced while an active ball player?

James LaCroix
New Haven, CT.
Collecting Bowman Chrome Draft/Prospect Autos & Game Used.
Also looking for serial numbered Ellis Burks & Game Used.

[Image: EllisBurks2-1.jpg]

Hi Chris, got a good one for you...

Paul Konerko had many minor league cards produced in 1994, he also had the Stadium Club Draft Picks #80  XRC and a Topps Traded #112T card (which was only released in the Topps Traded full set form). 

My question is why is the Topps Traded listed as a RC?  and not a  XRC like Topps Traded RC's of the past?  Shouldn't cards like 1995 Bowman, Bowman's Best, Pinnacle, Stadium Club, Topps be the RC's with the 1994 Traded and Stadium Club Draft getting the XRC's?

Thanks, Sean.
[Image: signaturebeckettoctfinal.jpg]

A question if anyone can help me out ...when looking up baseball cards and for example, in topps heritage 06'..beside some of the cards will appear an " sp " what exactly does it mean, how can you tell, and why does it increase the value of a card so much ??