`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

ddallen128 Wrote:who and what year did the 1933 goudey babe ruth and lou gerhig get reprinted ?

Some of the biggest cards in the hobby have been reprinted a few times -- for collector kits, for reprint sets, etc. One reason that cards like these -- and other unauthorized cards like Broders -- are not cataloged is because there's no way of knowing how many were made (whether they were printed on different occasions) and, of course, because they're not legal (those with rights for logos or appearances were not paid).
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

I have a question...I recently opened a 2009 Bowman chrome baseball box and my auto was of Graham Hicks which on the checklist is BCP99 but on the back of the card the number reads BCP98...did anyone else have this problem or what is up with this card...any information would be greatly appreciate...Thanks Pete

Chris, is that a real Pedro Cerrano Gamer in your sig? emoticon
[Image: signaturebeckettoctfinal.jpg]

seancampbell Wrote:Chris, is that a real Pedro Cerrano Gamer in your sig? emoticon

No ... but I do own one. Hahaha.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

How come you guys never do any stories on 2001 fleer greats of the game autograph set its one of the last great on card auto sets before the sticker autographs came into the picture.
Every show I got to I talk to dealers about that set and everyone says they sell faster then they can buy them. Just an idea if you need a story.
I only need 5 more cards for the set Eddie Murry Ernie Banks George Brett Joe Torre and Tommy Lasorda
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game

[Image: banner1.gif]

My desk is a mess and I need to make room Qua
lity over Quantity
I have tons of singles for any set builders out there

ddallen128 Wrote:who and what year did the 1933 goudey babe ruth and lou gerhig get reprinted ?

It depends on what reprint set you are talking about.  Renata Galasso was, and I guess still is, the biggest player of the reprint card market.  This was a person who dealt cards in the 1970's and eventually came around to some sort of a deal printing cards with Topps and also TCMA in the 1980's.  TCMA is infamous for cards that show a reprint of a vintage card on the front. 

I do not know how many times they reprinted the '33 Goudey set but I do know that many of those reprints from that set were printed in 1983.  There was a major card dealer that is well known in regards to selling these reprint sets from Galasso until he passed away a few years ago.  They also produced reprint sets of tobacco cards and Cracker Jacks to name a couple along with the Goudey.  I could not find any reprint number for you but I'm sure if you got in touch with the dealer of them (You can find some on the Beckett Marketplace), they could help you out in regards to that. 

Personally, I have seen these same reprint cards being attempted to be sold as true cards.  Many of the reprints from Galasso only had an ink stamp on the card.  The stamps were taken off the cards and then the card would be aged using methods such as tea.  They are the best looking reprint cards out there, which thus brings more criminals along with it much like anything else.

There are multiple other reprint companies out there.  Some are awful at what they do while others are not half bad.  Again, you'd probably have to get ahold of the company to find actual numbers, if they even kept track of that stuff.

chrisolds Wrote:If you read the original post, this thread is not for trading/site/tech/subs questions.
Subscription services -- ubscriptions@beckett.com">subscriptions@beckett.com
Site --  webmaster@beckett.com
For general customer service -- customerservice@beckett.com

Maybe you could clarify in your original post what questions you DO answer as that is very vague.  Maybe then you won't get as many questions that you can't answer.

Chris...
How come??
2009 Topps Triple Threads was released ahead of Sweet Spot, YET
Sweet Spot has OPG prices and Topps Triple Threads has a release date of 12/21 on Beckett and no prices.
I have been waiting 1 month..
Mistake on Beckett??
Thanks

bonds20001 Wrote:Chris...
How come??
2009 Topps Triple Threads was released ahead of Sweet Spot, YET
Sweet Spot has OPG prices and Topps Triple Threads has a release date of 12/21 on Beckett and no prices.
I have been waiting 1 month..
Mistake on Beckett??
Thanks

I don't know -- I don't handle pricing. (See original thread.) However, it could be because of how much more complicated Triple Threads' lineup of parallels and other cards is that it takes more time to gather the information than the typical product (if I had to bet it might be this). It could be a tech glitch with stuff not updating, etc., I don't know. I'd expect it to be there soon, though.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

Thanks, it is there now!!!