`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.27 Average
The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett

On the Litho-Cel, I remember reading a while back that the base card (with funky colored picture) was part of the cel price (see through card). I think it may have been in an old Reader's Write in Beckett. I remember it because I wasn't sure how to price them and it said that you had to have both pieces for it to be considered as one.
Looking for Ozzie Guillen, Gordon Beckham, Frank Thomas, Travis Snider, John Starks, White Sox and anything else that catches my eye!

nittany13 Wrote:I must say that I am shocked to find a thread that I created months ago bumped to the front page. Actually I am glad you did it TLJR because I have a good number of other submissions that I never got around to adding, thanks. I even decided to edit some of my previous posts from this thread.

Let me add a couple others today.

If you type in "1997 Playoff Contenders Pennants" to the Beckett registry the base "1997 Playoff Contenders Pennants" and the parallel "1997 Playoff Contenders Pennants Blue" will appear. The Blue parallel has blue foil on the edges of the cards. Although the registry claims that only two versions exist there are actually 12(!) different versions as there are 6 different colors of felt for the base and blue. Below are scans from my own personal collection that elucidate and almost fully prove my point:
[Image: scan0029.jpg]
[Image: scan0028.jpg]
The only one that I do not have is the blue foil-purple felt and I have no reason to believe that it doesn't exist.

I have the blue foil purple felt one but still need all the others.
Finally Completed!!!
[Image: CruzRainbow_zpsabe5dffb.jpg]

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:Let's step one year ahead to the "1998 Playoff Contenders Pennants". The online registry acknowledges the base, Red, Gold #d to 98, and Registered Exchange (#d to 51 I think). In the photo below the Red is on the bottom left while the Gold is on the bottom right. The other 6 shown are 6 different versions of the base card, but the registry only acknowledges 1.

The Registered Exchange, which is impossible to decipher if one of those is actually featured in the photo, is a little more complicated to explain. Simply collectors were allowed to send in their completed pennant sets into Playoff at the time and the company would then in turn would stamp them each with a Registered Exchange number, hence 51 Registered Exchange parallel sets. The problem lies with the fact that nobody knows how many of each of these eight versions of cards were stamped since collectors were allowed to send in a mix and match concerning the colors.
... As for the Registered Exchange cards...the example I provide clearly shows that they were numbered one right after the other resulting in "6.375 average" of each color redeemed. o.o

Thanks jaderock for your comments and expertise! I in kind would also like to expound even further on a number of your responses.

I'll start first with these specific Registered Exchange cards. If I understood this correctly, collectors would compile a hand collated set of these Pennants (also the Leather and Tickets too)
from this set - collectors then would send their completed sets into the company and Playoff would systematically stamp each card with the same serial number in the order it was received. On a side note, if there were only 51 of these sets it looks like you were the next to last person to gets his stamped Smile. Henceforth, I assume that these Pennants were the original ones that you sent in to the company and not ones that were exchanged for a complete set with this serial number already pre-stamped.

If my understanding is correct then here is my point, it is feasible that some player's pennants of certain colors in this set were never stamped with this Registered Exchange serial number. Now it is likely that the six base colored versions have a Registered Exchange number due to the law of averages, however it is not a mathematical given. The chances of exclusion become much greater however when it applies to the comparatively scarcer Red and especially even more comparatively scarcer Gold parallels.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

Removed by user

Don't have a picture, but....
2008 Topps Retail Game Used Jerseys Lorenzo Booker #R-LBO is not listed.

Also, my 1997 SP Fifth Year edition Buyback Auto Mo Vaughn numbered to 132 is not listed either.
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:2000 SP Authentic Buy Back Autographs.

1999SP(#605). I learned about the existence of this one only recently.

As part of the "collector appreciation" and "omg we're out of stock card redemption" programs, UD has released many previously "unlisted" cards such as your Collins. There are 2 specific Brunell Autos that were never released until 2007...one was from 1998 and one was from SP Buyback program from 2000.

No wonder why I never saw that 1999 version during the 2000 Buyback promotion! Thanks for solving that mystery for me. I still think this example and others like should be listed.

That 1995 SP version, however, was released in 2000. It can be found in the older Beckett annuals too. That example is just a case of a glaring omission I guess.

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:Earlier Collector's Edge Sample Cards:
1997 #7 Excalibur Crusaders Promo
1998 #5 Collector's Edge Advantage Showtime Holofoil Promo
I have seen preview cards made for the 1999CE Advantage Galvanized and CE Supreme Galvanized sets in addition to the 2000 CE T3 HoloRed sets. Samples were made for each card for the two listed 1999 sets (every single card in the set except for the short printed rookies) but I cannot confirm what fraction of cards it is for the specific mentioned 2000 set.

Many of the "Preview" and blank back versions are AFTER the company went bankrupt so Beckett doesn't list them (exact same reason regarding printing plates of various companies)...that's when see alot of these. The 2 1999 Preview Set that are listed is because they were promotional sets for those Home Shopping Stations.

I understand what you are saying and I get your explanation as to why cards like these would not be listed, however something like the 1999 CE Odyssey GameGear were never released in packs but are listed and priced on the online registy (I admit though that I am not positively certain that these specific memorabilia cards appeared on the market only when CE went under). There may be other examples out there for me to make my point with but I cannot think of any at the moment.

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Kerry Collins: parallels exist for all three Red, Blue and Gold versions of that card, although I do not have any to show.

There is also at least one sample from the 2002 Score Changing Stripes insert set:

The Totally Platinum XXXX/30, 2499, and 4999 exist for all cards in the set. Extremely rare!

As for Donruss/Playoff owned cards from 1999-2004ish, there are just TOOOOOO many cards that are LEAKING out with "no serial numbering" and "various font types of SAMPLE". They are great to chase, but Beckett would never be able to catalogue all of them.

I always had a hunch that samples existed for all three versions of every card in the 1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum cards, but was never certain. BTW I hope you didn't mind me using one of your pictures as an example (I did not figure that out until later).

As far as your second point is concerned, maybe simply there are not very many samples leaking out of the players that I collect but I just have not found too many examples of this.

There are those who will disagree with me but I do not categorize a card with a missing serial number, when its supposed to have one, as a promo/preview/sample. I classify that type of card as a "defect" in fact, hence those examples I agree should not be listed. Personally I do not even bother to collect those. The same thing goes for variations of cards (prototypes) that ended up on the factory "cutting room floor", if you catch my drift.

However if a card states promo/preview/sample or XXX as in the most previous example then I do believe in that case the card should be listed. Unfortunately I also think it would be difficult to classify in many instances which promotional cards "appeared" only after the company went belly-up (as I briefly touched upon in a previous post).

OzzieGuillen13 Wrote:On the Litho-Cel, I remember reading a while back that the base card (with funky colored picture) was part of the cel price (see through card). I think it may have been in an old Reader's Write in Beckett. I remember it because I wasn't sure how to price them and it said that you had to have both pieces for it to be considered as one.

If indeed the Litho-Cel card always came with the accompanying "slide-in" card (for lack of a better description) of that same player in the very same pack of cards in question, then that would make perfect sense. If not than I think they should be categorized separately. Currently I do not know if these two pieces were allocated this way in the packs or not.

Thanks for that input Smile.

collinsfanatic Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:
The only one that I do not have is the blue foil-purple felt and I have no reason to believe that it doesn't exist.

I have the blue foil purple felt one but still need all the others.

A-ha! I knew it existed!