`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Michael Jordan Basketball cards...................

cancollector Wrote:I'm actually surprised people make such a big deal of sticker versus on card auto's, yet no one ever mentions cards issued during their playing days versus the eternity that comes AFTER they retire...

Agree. The new stuff may look good and maybe in high demand shortly after being issued. But as time goes by, collectors are going to realize more and more, that innovation is unlimited. Not so with cards from his playing days. How many Autos were included into packs until his last year with the Bulls, the 1997-98 season ? Do we get above 1000 ?
1994-95 Collectors Choice Blow-Ups AU (saw one on eBay in 5 years) - 50 produced ?
1996 SPX AU (only the ones inserted into packs,  no camp versions) - 200 produced ?
1996-97 SPX Record Breaker AU /250
1996 Upper Deck U.S. Olympic Champions Reflections of Gold Signatures RG1 (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
1996-97 SPX Force AU /100
1996-97 UD3 Court Commemorative AU - 100 produced ?
1997 SPX Promotion Autographs /100
1997 Upper Deck Michael Jordan Championship Journals SPEC AU - (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
1997-98 SP Authentic Authentics MJ1 AU JSY /50
1997-98 SP Authentic Authentics MJ8 AU Game /23
1997-98 SP Authentic Buyback 21 94/95 MJ1R - 1 produced ?
1997-98 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Stars and Rookies (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
1997-98 UD3 Season Ticket Autographs - 100 produced ?
1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jerseys AU JSY /23

Thats it. Mostly very limited cards. Calculation has it at around 1147 autographed cards. But some estimates may be to high and some of the cards may have be burned, lost, never pulled or whatever. So we may have less then 1000 MJ Autos in good quality outstanding from his actual playing days.

Compare that with these 50 2007-08 UD Black Auto-versions issued of MJ (600 or more total MJ-Autos produced for that one series alone !!!)...

i have a topps michael jordan bulls year 1993. iwould info about this card

Finally!  Someone who knows something about MJ's auto's...I've been following them closely since they first came out and I'll just add my thoughts to your list.

1994-95 Collectors Choice Blow-Ups AU (saw one on eBay in 5 years) - 50 produced ?
-I've seen about 6 on ebay throughout the years...I would say there are around 20-25
1996 SPX AU (only the ones inserted into packs,  no camp versions) - 200 produced ?
-I would say there are less than 50
1996-97 SPX Record Breaker AU /250
-Weren't these signed at his camp?  Numbered to 250
1996 Upper Deck U.S. Olympic Champions Reflections of Gold Signatures RG1 (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
-I have one and that is the only one I've ever seen or heard about (my one has a hologram at the back which has been varified by UD)  I would say there are around 20
1996-97 SPX Force AU /100
-Numbered to 100
1996-97 UD3 Court Commemorative AU - 100 produced ?
-I would say less than 50
1997 SPX Promotion Autographs /100
-Numbered to 100
1997 Upper Deck Michael Jordan Championship Journals SPEC AU - (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
-I have one as well, they are 3x5.  Numbered to 50
1997-98 SP Authentic Authentics MJ1 AU JSY /50
1997-98 SP Authentic Authentics MJ8 AU Game /23
1997-98 SP Authentic Buyback 21 94/95 MJ1R - 1 produced ?
-I'm pretty sure there is a 1 of 1
1997-98 SP Authentic Sign of the Times Stars and Rookies (never saw one) - 50 produced ?
-Thats what Beckett originally said at the time...I would agree
1997-98 UD3 Season Ticket Autographs - 100 produced ?
-I would say less than 50
1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jerseys AU JSY /23

There was also a MJ baseball auto in the 95 SP packs...

[Image: jordan.jpg]
[Image: Boston.jpg]

How about MJ's first ever serial numbered card...which was the 94 SP Minors Top Prospects card #15,000.  I remember when I first saw it, my mouth dropped and was like 'only 15,000!!!'

cancollector Wrote:Any card of Jordan that was made after his playing days SHOULD NOT be a Top 10 Card.

For example... someone will say

"My Exquisite 2/23 2004-05 patch is top 10"

Well... next year, someone is pulling that same exact card when they make more patches of Jordan's...

As time goes by, UD will keep making Jordan jerseys and all his jersey cards AFTER his playing days will all be lumped into one pile...

What's the difference between Jordan's Jersey from say 06-07 Numbered 1/10 versus his coming soon Exquisite Infinite Refractor Parallel 1/5 patch auto coming out 2016-2017 season in the UD Forever collection?

Hands down, in the long run... the best cards of Jordan will be the cards issued while he was still active in the NBA.

Uh yea.. best of luck with that theory.

double post.

Snyper 5 Wrote:

It's not a theory. It's reality.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there's no difference between an MJ patch 1/1 made in 2008 versus one made in 2035. Both are still patches made after he plays which are all the same and can be made over and over and over increasing supply, lowering demand.

Care to compare MJ's jersey card prices from 2001 to today? Go ahead. Pick up your Beckett and check your 2001 issue for the price of his stuff released in 2001 like some Game Used Warm Ups....

Price goes down as time goes by and supply increases because they keep making Jordan Game Used everything...

When the market is really saturated with Jordan's stuff in 10 years, people will start filtering what was made in his playing days versus what was made AFTER his playing days.

Go ahead, stop reading and check the beckett of how much the GU Shorts are now versus in 2001 when his Game Used Stuff was rare.

cancollector Wrote:
Snyper 5 Wrote:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there's no difference between an MJ patch 1/1 made in 2008 versus one made in 2035. Both are still patches made after he plays which are all the same and can be made over and over and over increasing supply, lowering demand.

Care to compare MJ's jersey card prices from 2001 to today? Go ahead. Pick up your Beckett and check your 2001 issue for the price of his stuff released in 2001 like some Game Used Warm Ups....

Price goes down as time goes by and supply increases because they keep making Jordan Game Used everything...

When the market is really saturated with Jordan's stuff in 10 years, people will start filtering what was made in his playing days versus what was made AFTER his playing days.

Go ahead, stop reading and check the beckett of how much the GU Shorts are now versus in 2001 when his Game Used Stuff was rare.

Let's get one thing straight from the get go. If you really think Beckett is the end all be all for card pricing, then this conversation has ended quicker than it started, and we should both scurry off to ebay-land to notify the millions of ebay sportcard sellers and buyers that they have got it all wrong for not using Beckett as their pricing bible. What were they all thinking?!?!?

Reality? I'll sum this up nice and easy. The true reality is that it doesn't matter what year the auto/game used is produced. The only area your theory will not fold is his very first auto/game used card and that's it. (Easily referenced by sale prices.)

Let the man live forever. In the year 2056, it will still be the same legend signing the cards that encase what's left of his game used. No change.

Bottom line, if your theory (suggestion) held true, why do cards being made up to today generally reflect the same if not more and sometimes ALOT more than his "game playing" days?

Fact vs opinion here. There are nothing but opinions in here (all great ones) but the "game playing" year cards vs the "retired" year cards isn't a factor. So says the market anyway, which holds more weight than you or I combined.

Snyper 5 Wrote:
cancollector Wrote:
Snyper 5 Wrote:

Let's get one thing straight from the get go. If you really think Beckett is the end all be all for card pricing, then this conversation has ended quicker than it started, and we should both scurry off to ebay-land to notify the millions of ebay sportcard sellers and buyers that they have got it all wrong for not using Beckett as their pricing bible. What were they all thinking?!?!?

Reality? I'll sum this up nice and easy. The true reality is that it doesn't matter what year the auto/game used is produced. The only area your theory will not fold is his very first auto/game used card and that's it. (Easily referenced by sale prices.)

Let the man live forever. In the year 2056, it will still be the same legend signing the cards that encase what's left of his game used. No change.

Bottom line, if your theory (suggestion) held true, why do cards being made up to today generally reflect the same if not more and sometimes ALOT more than his "game playing" days?

Fact vs opinion here. There are nothing but opinions in here (all great ones) but the "game playing" year cards vs the "retired" year cards isn't a factor. So says the market anyway, which holds more weight than you or I combined.

Cards made today sell more because they are current. Compare THE EBAY prices of his early 2000 stuff back in 2000 versus right now.

You'll notice all the sell prices are going down as years pass by.

I'm speaking long term... Not from an investment standpoint...

The cards made during his playing days will be better than the cards made after since the years that come after his playing days are infinite... even when Jordan and all of us are long gone they will still be making cards of Jordan...

Less than 2 decades versus an eternity... it's pretty clear in the long run which cards will be more sought after...

Just compare 89-90 (DURING THEIR PLAYING DAYS) Hoops or Skybox or whatever of Magic Johnson or Larry Bird versus a product of similar caliber in 1994-95 produced of Magic and Bird (AFTER THEIR PLAYING DAYS)... You will notice that the cards that more collectors are sending in to BGS are the stuff from their playing days...

Why? Both are overproduced, non rookies of the 2...  Why are more Magic and Birds from 89-92 being sent in for grading than say cards made in 1994 - today? We're talking base cards here... not some high end concept cards.

Fact is in the long run, cards during their playing days will hold a higher premium over cards issued in their non playing days...