`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
onionring9 Wrote:On another note, how far should we take this? Do you think we should post individual errors such as the '91 McGwire All Star that says "Recent Major League Performance" instead of "All Star Performance" that exists with all the *denotes/INC varations, etc or just keep it to mass produced generic errors/variations that span a decent amount of a set?
That's actually 1990 Donruss, and occurs with all of the all star cards.

Hey guys,

First of all great thread! Secondly I have these four 1989 Topps Fred Lynn cards. All four of these have Fred Lynn pictured (in a Tigers uni) on the front, BUT....Two of the cards have Fred Lynn on the back and two of them have Ed Vandeberg on the back. Is this a common error or is one more rare then the other? Does Ed Vandeberg have this card with him pictured on the front but Fred Lynns stats on the back?? Thanks for your help in advance!

[Image: fredlynnerrorsfront.jpg]
[Image: fredlynnerrorsback.jpg]

Hello, this is a great and informative thread. Anyone ever seen this error/variation before? This is from the 1997 Donruss Signature Baseball Platinum Press Proof Set. Heres the normal version:

[Image: 1998df.jpg]
Front

[Image: 1998db.jpg]
Back

Now for the error/variation:

[Image: 98alouvarfr.jpg]
Front

[Image: 98alouvar.jpg]
Back

The error being that the Alou doesn't have the Press Proof markings/stamping on the front. Looks just like a normal base till you look on the back and see the 1 of 150 print. I remember there being an article in Beckett mentioning this error/variation but I dont recall which edition. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.

scotty21690 Wrote:Hey guys,

First of all great thread! Secondly I have these four 1989 Topps Fred Lynn cards. All four of these have Fred Lynn pictured (in a Tigers uni) on the front, BUT....Two of the cards have Fred Lynn on the back and two of them have Ed Vandeberg on the back. Is this a common error or is one more rare then the other? Does Ed Vandeberg have this card with him pictured on the front but Fred Lynns stats on the back?? Thanks for your help in advance!
This is a wrongback error. More common in the Topps years of 1987-1992. It occurs when the card sheet is reversed between printing the front and back or occasionally sent to the wrong set of printers all together. And yes, there should be Vandeberg front / Lynn back as well.

To add to the growing list, here are the 2007 Topps Factory Set Variations (corrections) that I know about

#40 Jeter (No Mantle / Bush)
#180 Halladay (has his bio instead of Joe Nathan's)
#262 Braun (has his autograph instead of Brewers Ryan Braun)
#492 is John Buck (instead of Michael Barrett)
#636 is Billy Butler (instead of Mike Rabelo)

Any others people know about?

HawkHOF Wrote:

This is a wrongback error. More common in the Topps years of 1987-1992. It occurs when the card sheet is reversed between printing the front and back or occasionally sent to the wrong set of printers all together. And yes, there should be Vandeberg front / Lynn back as well.
Ohhh I gotcha...Thanks for your help!

Your Lynn cards reminded me of an oddball set I have. I don't remember when or how I found these, but I thought it was cool to have a matched set.

[Image: topps87FPB_F723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPB_B723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPF_F723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPF_B723.jpg]

edit: forgot about these matched wrongbacks:

[Image: topps91tradedDCB_F15.jpg] [Image: topps91tradedDCB_B15.jpg] [Image: topps91tradedDCF_F15.jpg] [Image: topps91tradedDCF_B15.jpg]

TNP777 Wrote:

Your Lynn cards reminded me of an oddball set I have. I don't remember when or how I found these, but I thought it was cool to have a matched set.

[Image: topps87FPF_F723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPF_B723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPB_F723.jpg] [Image: topps87FPB_B723.jpg]
Scans aren't showing up:?

I finally got all my Ryans Catalogued the other night and then I found this.

So each night I am going to do one company and go back thru my duplicates and look for differences. I did Donruss tonight. Here's what I found.

1989 Donruss #154 Nolan Ryan (INC) (*Denotes)
1989 Donruss #154 Nolan Ryan (INC.) (*Denotes)
1989 Donruss #154 Nolan Ryan (INC.) (*Denotes*)

1990 Donruss #166 Nolan Ryan (INC)
1990 Donruss #166 Nolan Ryan (INC.)
1990 Donruss #659 Nolan Ryan 5000K (INC)
1990 Donruss #659 Nolan Ryan 5000K (INC.)
1990 Donruss #659A Nolan Ryan 5000K {665 Reverse} (INC.)
1990 Donruss #665 Nolan Ryan KING (INC)
1990 Donruss #665 Nolan Ryan KING (INC.)
1990 Donruss #665C Nolan Ryan KING {No # on Rev} (INC)

1991 Donurss Bonus BC-3 Nolan Ryan (INC)
1991 Donurss Bonus BC-3 Nolan Ryan (INC.)
I guess we can add 91 Donruss Bonus Cards to the list for INC/INC. var.

1992 Donruss #154 Nolan Ryan (INC)
1992 Donruss #154 Nolan Ryan (INC.)

scotty21690 Wrote:Scans aren't showing up:?
Stupid Comcast. Switched scans over to Photbucket, so they should show up now.