`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ridiculous Box Prices

Ridiculous Box Prices
What's the deal with rediculous prices for moderately old wax boxes. For example, the '84 Donruss box is around $350. Who's buying these? Anyone here? I understand that supply is low, but not really understanding the demand at that price. The big card is the Mattingly. It's not a good investment to open packs. Not very good odds for getting a card you can grade and make your money back. It seems box collectors are buying these. But the box itself doesn't move much in price (if at all) from year to year and boxes take up a lot of room.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

RE: Ridiculous Box Prices
Yea, I agree. Older wax is booming as well as 2017 boxes. I understand supply and demand but people keep paying crazy prices for a "chance" at something they could buy for same price at a show or online secondary market....
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

Yeah, it does not make much sense to me, either. I was doing an online break and somebody in the chat room said they were hoping for an auto of a player that probably sells on eBay for $25 and yet they paid over $50 to participate in the break.

Economics don't make sense so I guess it is the thrill of the chase that drives up the price.

I never paid that high for any box even though I enjoy busting wax which I limited myself on , I just buy singles or trade for my PC wants &/or needs. I had that Mattingly RC once when it booked at $100 plus back when Beckett price guide/magazine was great, late 80s early 90s.
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

1984 Donruss was the lowest production of all those 80's sets. I can see the price for that one. Just look at the prices for 1985 Donruss, less than $100. As well, 1983 Donruss is around $20!!!

So, for '84 Donruss, I can understand that price. The Topps boxes for certain years are a pretty good bargain depending on what you are looking for. I guess everyone is hoping to pull a BGS 10 pristine so that does probably cause some of the prices to go up.
Thanks,
- Steve

Also huge thing folks need to remember those early 80's wax boxes didn't come sealed and it's extremely easy to open the packs pull the key cards and reseal them.

Way to much risk with 80's and early 90's wax packs. I believe 1988 score was the first product that didn't use the wax paper wrappers followed by UD in 1989 but Topps and Fleer both didn't cross over until at least 1991.

Good point, Chevy Man 22! I have never bought old wax for a different reason, but it does seem quite risky to pick up an older product with those wrappers.

If you buy from trusted sources like BBCE for older wax then you should be fine. One of the major reasons that the box prices for some older boxes is so high is because some people are putting together graded versions of the entire set. Sometimes it's not just the top rookies that command high values, but sometimes a common $0.25 card can end up being worth hundreds or more when graded a 10. This is usually because of the card being in bad location on the sheet or something else that cause a lot of them to have poor centering or some other defect. I don't recall the exact cards, but I know the 86-87 Fleer basketball set has a few commons that resale very high when graded high.
(08-20-2017, 05:35 PM)sshissler Wrote: 1984 Donruss was the lowest production of all those 80's sets. I can see the price for that one. Just look at the prices for 1985 Donruss, less than $100. As well, 1983 Donruss is around $20!!!
Where are you finding 1983 Donruss for $20???? I would buy a case of it at that price per box.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/