Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BGS Grading Question

BGS Grading Question
Hello,

I am looking for some knowledge. I am new to the card grading game and I have around 10 cards 2000-Present I would like to get graded. All have Autographs. I noticed it's going to cost me about $250 to get this done with BGS via 10 day turn around after return shipping, insurance, ect... None of these cards has a Book Value over $100 at this time. My concern is, does the cost out way the overall product I am getting in return ? The cards are all pristine, I have no reason to believe anything would be below a 9 but, just seems high to me to do this. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

RE: BGS Grading Question
No I wouldn't use the 10 day for that unless you're trying to sell them quick. Even then, breaking even might be a stretch.

I just today was watching an auction for a copy of a card I paid $100 for and the seller got $60.00 for it. Low print auto of a superstar. Sales aren't doing well, from what I've seen, except for "hot rookies." As such, I've been going with grading only when I can and only at the budget levels.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

(08-09-2017, 11:05 AM)onezero Wrote: Hello,

I am looking for some knowledge. I am new to the card grading game and I have around 10 cards 2000-Present I would like to get graded. All have Autographs. I noticed it's going to cost me about $250 to get this done with BGS via 10 day turn around after return shipping, insurance, ect... None of these cards has a Book Value over $100 at this time. My concern is, does the cost out way the overall product I am getting in return ? The cards are all pristine, I have no reason to believe anything would be below a 9 but, just seems high to me to do this. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Grading would be a mistake. Beckett doubled their prices lately, and demand on secondary market for BGS cards is actually declining as customers are furious with them. That means the seller eats the losses on both ends.

If you go this route I would suggest doing the no-guaranteed time selection. If these are for personal use and it's not time sensitive you will save some money. As others have said the decline in Becketts service and doubling of costs has put a lot of cards out of reach of grading.

I hope they recover from this but they really need to get in touch with their customers and put a lot of work into their business structure so they don't put themselves in a position to fail again.

I use the 30day $14 a card option through my lcs. and I can also mark 9.5 or better on the sheet that way im not paying for a bunch of bgs 8.5's because I missed a scuff or scratch somewhere. Just my 2 pennies
~ \\ * Collecting Jeff George * // ~

(08-16-2017, 06:34 PM)yabbiballcards Wrote: I can also mark 9.5 or better on the sheet that way im not paying for a bunch of bgs 8.5's
I believe they still charge you the grading fee, but perhaps not the encapsulation fee?

So with the non guaranteed option, what sort of time frame are you generally looking at? I only ask because I see how many people used a guaranteed option and are WAAAAY behind.

I've never submitted before, so that's why I ask.

(08-21-2017, 07:51 PM)tbro387 Wrote: So with the non guaranteed option, what sort of time frame are you generally looking at? I only ask because I see how many people used a guaranteed option and are WAAAAY behind.

I've never submitted before, so that's why I ask.
Right now its a 8-9 month wait.