`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'17 A&G Impressions

RE: '17 A&G Impressions
(07-25-2017, 01:38 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Of course, I broke my own vow and bought the last four jumbo packs of Ginter at my local WalMart this morning.

They were even worse than the blasters ... not one card I would even put in a toploader.

Definitely done now, wish I had my 80ish dollars back.
Stupidly, I saw one lone blaster at my local Target and grabbed it.

I hit a plain white swatch Salvador Perez mem card, by far my best card in four total blasters and four rack packs.

For $100.

(08-01-2017, 02:23 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Stupidly, I saw one lone blaster at my local Target and grabbed it.

I hit a plain white swatch Salvador Perez mem card, by far my best card in four total blasters and four rack packs.

For $100.
Ouch!!

Well if you have seen my box breaks. The gem/fossil set is great. And I have really grown to like the mini insert sets and the lures insert set. I ranked it a c~ but after doing 3 hobby boxes I give it a b. Buy hobby stay away from retail.

I had always liked Ginter, but the last few years have turned me off due to the watered down hits. Bought it very heavy in 09, 10, 11 and 12 and it was almost routine for an auto and 2 relics unless you got a RIP. Now half a case is boxes filled with 3 common relics. For $120, no thank you! I do always try a box and to be honest I did ok with my one box this year. If they went back to the one auto and 2 other hits formula, more people would come back.

As for the weird checklist, that's part of what Ginter is. Maybe just tone down the autos/mem of offbeat people. Make them more baseball/mainstream sport centric with a handful of celebrities thrown in.
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

The only thing I'm keeping out of this set is a few Rookie cards and the Fish and Lure set. Guess to each their own. I liked seeing the horses, and the required reading set, but don't get the bust a move, and dudes sets...so if you want to get rid of your fish cards check me for the few needs I have.
Looking for autos of these players as well as established stars and superstars.
[Image: bannerwork.jpg]

http://s212.photobucket.com/user/tdog677...te=replace

Allen & Ginter is special. It is all in how you approach it - if you get upset at the non baseball stuff, then stick with the singles. If you like the variety of the weird stuff (which this is a huge draw for many fellow collectors) then breaking may be the way to go. I saw someone get a 1/1 mini metal bear card and he loved it.

I personally am not in love with this year's design, though it is growing on me Smile The thing that I love the most about A&G this year are the wood/metal/silk parallels. I have yet to grab the silk, but the wood is incoming and the metal is in possession. In my opinion, they are very special types of cards!

As a side note, my first box of A&G was nearly 10 years ago, perhaps. After my hits being a piece of shirt from a bowler and a piece of flannel from a duck caller, I admittedly was quite unhappy. Only singles for me from now on Smile
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict