`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Storing/Hiding Valuable Sports Cards

Storing/Hiding Valuable Sports Cards
Hey guys, I have a few very valuable cards and was wondering where do people usually store/hide/protect there cards? Should I get a safety deposit box?

RE: Storing/Hiding Valuable Sports Cards
I think it comes down to how valuable and what you're concerned about. Are you worried about a natural disaster, fire, or flood; or are you more concerned about someone robbing your house and taking the cards? One thing to keep in mind is that while a lot of people use small safes to keep their valuable cards, a small safe is something a burglar is going to grab quickly. If I was concerned I would use an in-wall safe with really good fire and flood ratings.
Now if you're talking about some seriously expensive cards (i.e. a high grade '52 Mantle, T-206 Wagner, or really any other 6 figure card) then I would consider a safety deposit box at a bank or a similarly secure location. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a safety deposit box for anything under $10k. However I live in a fairly safe neighborhood, with a security system, and have a well hidden safe. So I am not really that concerned with theft.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/