`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinion

Opinion
Just received my order 3 months later. Decided to celebrate by opening 2 super jumbos of 2016 bowman draft. Last pack I pulled Riley Pint Orange Auto Refractor. Centering, corners, edges all look good, but there are these lines evenly spaced on the surface. It's almost like it was scratched during manufactur. Is this even worth sending in for grading once I decide to actually submit an order again?

RE: Opinion
Do they definitely look like scratches or could they be smudges that a microfiber cloth might be able to clean up? I've pulled some "dirty" looking cards from Topps packs in the past and it seems like the rollers had some paper gunk built up on them that transferred to the card. Small circular wipes on the card cleaned them up without damaging the surface for me.

(07-16-2017, 08:53 AM)jplarson Wrote: Do they definitely look like scratches or could they be smudges that a microfiber cloth might be able to clean up? I've pulled some "dirty" looking cards from Topps packs in the past and it seems like the rollers had some paper gunk built up on them that transferred to the card. Small circular wipes on the card cleaned them up without damaging the surface for me.
O that may be it actually. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the information on that.

https://imgur.com/a/05ZKM

Take a look at his jersey. Those lines are on the whole card if you angle it right. They're spaced evenly. I tried the cloth, but it didn't work. It's too uniform for it to not have been from the rollers or something. Rest of the card is perfect, but I feel like this ruins it.

ah man that's a shame. You can try to see if you can get a replacement from Topps but they typically replace within 1 year of release. It sucks to get manufacturing defects like that. I can recall busting some mid-2000s Finest a few years ago and getting cards that should have been caught by quality control.

(07-18-2017, 04:52 PM)jplarson Wrote: ah man that's a shame. You can try to see if you can get a replacement from Topps but they typically replace within 1 year of release. It sucks to get manufacturing defects like that. I can recall busting some mid-2000s Finest a few years ago and getting cards that should have been caught by quality control.
Thanks for the information on that. I'm pretty gutted about it. These didn't come out until December of last year if I remember correctly. Would they replace it with the exact same, or something they deem "equal".

(07-18-2017, 06:46 PM)ajbodine Wrote: Thanks for the information on that. I'm pretty gutted about it. These didn't come out until December of last year if I remember correctly. Would they replace it with the exact same, or something they deem "equal".
Check out Topps.com customer service link. Looks like they will either replace for the same or similar. Topps Cards Support. Though personally I'd try to give them a call first instead of waiting around for a letter just to make sure you aren't wasting time. Their consumer relations (aka fancy way to say customer support) number is on the bottom right of the linked page.

I hope they are able to give you some good news but even if they can't this card may become one of the ones in your collection with an interesting story.

(07-20-2017, 10:42 PM)jplarson Wrote: Check out Topps.com customer service link. Looks like they will either replace for the same or similar. Topps Cards Support. Though personally I'd try to give them a call first instead of waiting around for a letter just to make sure you aren't wasting time. Their consumer relations (aka fancy way to say customer support) number is on the bottom right of the linked page.

I hope they are able to give you some good news but even if they can't this card may become one of the ones in your collection with an interesting story.
That's a great way to look at it. Thanks a lot for talking me through this and all the information.